Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone ever used computers for anything cool?
Console frames, mainboards, et cetera. Has anybody gotten ANY use out of building computers/the wired/wireless networks in this game, besides maybe replacing the shuttle console? I want stuff like the wireless laptop to actually be useful for something, but I just have no dang idea what!!
Calling/recalling the shuttle, controlling the buddies and the teleporter (possibly remotely) and pretending to be someone (or something) you're not come to mind. There's a bunch of other stuff, too, which I'll edit my post with when I have more time.

edit: Okay, so in terms of the wireless network, what most people are probably acquainted with would be PDAs, airlocks, and lockers. Obviously you can send messages over the wireless network with your PDA, but you can also craft (spoof, sometimes) packets to do things, such as pretend to be other people/things (which is also how you interact with airlocks and lockers). The most convenient way to do this would be a Network Diagnostic cartridge, but one shortcoming is that all your crafted packets carry your PDA's ID (as the sender). If you don't know where to start, I'd suggest just turning on the sniffing program at the default frequency (114.9) and walking around.

With the wired network, obviously you have TermOS, which is what DWAINE (and therefore all the research equipment) runs off of. With a terminal you can call/recall the shuttle, talk to the AI, print things, command the guardbuddies, mess with the teleporter and artlab equipment, and set off nukes (among other things). You can also do this remotely with MechComp components. Obviously some of these things will be locked behind special permissions, but if you do a bit of sniffing (that's what those bulky packet sniffers are for!), it'll become fairly evident what you need to make happen. When you term_ping, you get a list of names and IDs, and that's basically everything that's connected on the wired network (for the moment). For example, on the NSS Destiny, where the shields are part of the wired network, you can craft a packet that pretends to be the shield generator and turn them on/off. You can send these packets with the file_send command, SigCraft, or through MechComp components.

What exactly does a packet look like? Something like this:

[Image: omXj4rr.png]

They have basically the same format (just maybe a couple different parts) for both the wireless and wired network.

Some very good resources:
https://wiki.ss13.co/TermOS
https://wiki.ss13.co/Advanced_Guide_to_ThinkDOS
you know i was just gonna talk about how i blew a computer up because the graphics card wasnt compatible and lost an arm but that pales in comparison to packet wizardry
Zamujasa has his notes hosted. That's good enough to start poking around with. Granted people can just read the leak now, but his page was a refuge for those groaning at having to poke every network for information pre-leak.

We also had a discussion about DWAINE and some other things a while back. My absolute favorite thing to do is create critter farms.space bear

Also, oddly little known fact: Loops are a thing.
packet stuff is too much bore for a 'fun computer' thread.

i've had many times where some tyrant subverts the AI and makes it do the murder, or gives it shitty gimmick laws but also makes it not let anyone change them, and then i just grab the spare AI computer module, make an AI computer in the refinery (all the materials are there, on cog2 at least), reset the AI, then disassemble the computer and run off with the module
My computer can run SS13, that's pretty cool.
(09-26-2017, 03:12 AM)Gannets Wrote: My computer can't run SS13, that's pretty lame.
I already know how to do packet stuff with a pda mostly, it just seems like most of the potential in building computers is tied up hugely in the tyranny of DWAINE and TermOS

really doing packets is only necessary with a pda because packet stuff rewards you for mobility and screwing-unscrewing doors to get access codes
The high-end stuff is mostly packet-huffing. Avoiding them is avoiding the system all together, as that's how client-server communication is emulated. That is, everything you do with computers (IIRC, been a while) sends a packet; working directly with packets just cuts out the middleman.

That being said, I do have a habit of wizwriting dated memes to every printer on the station. Always worth a laugh when the station is sitting at 30+ people.

ban

Oh, and another oddly little known thing: laptops can wirelessly hook up to DWAINE.
(09-26-2017, 03:18 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 03:12 AM)Gannets Wrote: My computer can't run DOOM, that's pretty lame.
(09-25-2017, 04:52 AM)Flourish Wrote: ... you have TermOS, which is what DWAINE (and therefore all the research equipment) runs off of. With a terminal you can call/recall the shuttle, ...

I have tried to use DWAINE to call the shuttle, but never actually succeeded without also using SigPal (in ThinkDOS). I mananged to connect a DWAINE terminal to a Comms Dish, but got stuck there. Can you tell how you did it?
(09-25-2017, 06:52 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Also, oddly little known fact: Loops are a thing.

How.
Use the source, Luke.

Well, don't break everything. Or do. Quick way to get that feature fixed/nerfed/removed if it hasn't already been.
Related: if I catch someone setting up something that automatically (i.e. without someone triggering it, so it would continue past their death) recalls the shuttle, I am shamecubing that person for at least the whole next round I see them in.
(10-08-2017, 08:47 AM)Mordent Wrote: Related: if I catch someone setting up something that automatically (i.e. without someone triggering it, so it would continue past their death) recalls the shuttle, I am shamecubing that person for at least the whole next round I see them in.

you don't need termOS or dwaine or whatever loops for this, i've seen it done witb a control unit and a wifi component in a dark room in maint. that guy got his ass kicked