Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Katana Might Be A Little Too Strong!
I tried the traitor katana a few rounds ago and it's just a tad bit too strong in it's current form, I feel.

Below I've spat out what I felt were the most crazy-strong parts of the items design and suggestions on how to fix them.
  • The de-limb chance is just a bit too high. Yes, I know it's meant to balance out the weaker damage, but if you slice off someones leg, they can't run away, this leaves you to de-limb their arms and one-remaining leg then decapitate them as a finishing move. It almost felt like a 100% delimb chance, maybe tone that back a bit.
  • It's surprisingly hard to see the sword sheath on your character. I was playing the barman and the black pants of his default outfit almost perfectly obscured the sheath of the sword. The sheath on a characters belt could be a little more apparent to any passerby.
  • It's incredibly quiet, I had been worried when I drew the katana it would make a loud "schwing" draw sound, but I was able to draw it and delimb a poor dude before he knew what the heck was going on. It could use atleast some form of draw sound in the same way activating a c-saber screams "Someone is about to get murdered!"
  • Decapitation is way too easy on downed, de-limbed targets. Someone who's had all their limbs sliced off is probably going to bleed out anyway, but the decapitation finisher is way too fast, it should have a small progress bar with some sort of melodramatic emote and a post-decapitation bow (this wouldn't halt player movement, just do a *bow after the finishing move). Bonus points if wearing the fedora and performing a decapitation leads to some offensively poorly formatted japanese text
Or maybe I just got lucky and it isn't actually that great compared to a c-saber for rampages.
It also needs a seppuku suicide.

But yeah I agree to all of these, traitor katana has been used for some very easy murderbone a few times too often. I think delimb chance should be 60% or 50% but NOT 80%, which is what it seems like.

Decapitation finisher with a progress bar is also a great idea. Maybe alternative finisher if you're aiming at the chest to stab their heart out?
I slightly want the user to scream KIAI, DOSUKOI, WAIFU, and other moonspeak words when swinging that thing around. wordjo
From my experience fighting Samurai Jiggles and his Seppuku no Microbombs, the katana is hellish if they get the drop on you, but, like the c-saber, is almost trivial to counter (IF they're only using the sword!). Slip or stun or stimsegway into them, and they drop their sword, giving you the perfect tool to finish them off. The fact that it's a melee weapon is its biggest downside and, if you know how to pre-click, your (second) greatest defense.

One time, I stunbatonned Jiggles by clicking on him while he was out of range, then quickly moved next to him as (what I think was) the click-buffer registered by command. Sure, he could've done this to me as well, but that's the danger of melee combat.

Now as for the weapon itself, it is really on par with the c-saber. Delimbing people is much more effective than straight up brute damage, since even if they survive somehow, they'll be fucked until medbay can stick their arms back on. That, and bleeding really does a number on us spacefolk.

While it's part of the high-ish risk--super-high reward aspect of powerful melee weapons, it's utility and reliability make it kinda OP. Instead of lopping off a limb of your choosing, maybe it could have a high chance of removing something else. Randomly slicing their butt off, or their hair, or cutting their eye and leaving behind an anime scar; whereas the c-saber excels in pure murder, the katana could be great at leaving your mark on people, in addition to murdering them, like a more playful c-saber.
I've only been killed by it once, but yeah it was over really quick with them lopping off all my limbs and then head
I-is this some alternate version of my katanas are underpowered writeup?
Like, I'm not saying this to dickride, but Grifflez I feel like you need to consider that you're one of the more robust people on the server and so your experiences with the katana are gonna have some bias, you know? I don't have a real opinion one way or the other but it seemed like a point that should be made. Like, you've also been here fighting people forever so your opinion definitely has weight, too, obviously you considered stuff before writing your post up.
So uh, five hits with obligatory limb targeting is worse than the C-saber's "two hits and you're dead"?
I've barely been de-limbed by the thing. I've bleed out more then I have lost a limb when being attacked with the thing.
(09-25-2017, 09:21 AM)Ed Venture Wrote: I've barely been de-limbed by the thing. I've bleed out more then I have lost a limb when being attacked with the thing.

I've only used the katana once, but I disarmed I think 5 people with a perfect success rating. Maybe 6. Then I sneezed and dropped my katana and Olivia took me down (without killing me, good cop).
この剣はとても強くです

its good for 1v1 fights but otherwise you risk getting overwhelmed if you get attacked by more than one person
(09-25-2017, 03:23 AM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: It also needs a seppuku suicide.

I think delimb chance should be 60% or 50% but NOT 80%, which is what it seems like.

Decapitation finisher with a progress bar is also a great idea. Maybe alternative finisher if you're aiming at the chest to stab their heart out?

It actually already has a seppuku suicide, complete with words I couldn't understand!

The delimb chance is pretty crazy at 80 percent, I think I failed to slice off someones arm maybe once.

(09-25-2017, 08:51 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote: you're one of the more robust people on the server and so your experiences with the katana are gonna have some bias, you know?  

Like, you've also been here fighting people forever so your opinion definitely has weight, too, obviously you considered stuff before writing your post up.

I will admit I may have some bias if I'm as robust as my inflated ego makes me think I am, but the thing is crazy strong, personal robustness aside.

I highly recommend trying the katana out during your next chance, even if it's on some monkeys as a non-antag. 

Quote:Arborinus

I-is this some alternate version of my katanas are underpowered writeup?

SHIT. I COULDN'T FIND THAT WHEN I SEARCHED KATANA. FUUUUCK.
(09-25-2017, 09:10 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: So uh, five hits with obligatory limb targeting is worse than the C-saber's "two hits and you're dead"?

this is my whole argument as well. the sword is meant to be a more stylish/fun c saber is it not? of course it's overpowered, the saber is overpowered. unless we nerf the saber (which will never happen) then there should be no problems with the katana. it's much more fun to get all my limbs cut off with a katana (which is visible, at least a bit, before they pull it out and kill your ass) and then my head, rather than someone jump me from a bush, pull a saber, click twice and run away to leave me to my guaranteed death
Like I've seen some admins say before. "Antags are supposed to be OP" If they nerf C-Sabers then they should nerf Polymorph. Everytime I use a C-Saber I just get disarmed as soon as I pull it out. So much so that I stopped ordering the thing now.
(09-25-2017, 03:45 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Like I've seen some admins say before. "Antags are supposed to be OP" If they nerf C-Sabers then they should nerf Polymorph. Everytime I use a C-Saber I just get disarmed as soon as I pull it out. So much so that I stopped ordering the thing now.

They don't still stun when the blade isn't extended, do they? I used to do that before popping the blade for those surprise attacks