Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Probably Shitty Thread Game idea.
So I guess I got into Dangling Grandpa
So I guess I got into Dingle Rumpus
So I guess I got into Danger Roomba
Dan.  Gan.  Ron.  Pa.
So I guess I got into Dog Gone Ron Paul FUCK IT!
So I got into that visual Novel series with the psychopathic black and white teddy bear and today I thought of a forum game ripping off the basic premise kinda based on it.
This was around hour three of work though so I had a lot of time to think up of flaws with potentially running it.

So basically, so many people (like roughly 15, maybe more) are prevented from leaving the station because one of them took over the entirety of it.  The only way anyone can leave is by successfully killing and getting away with it (probably multiple times, would be frustrating if it ended in one round).  After a murder happens, everyone alive asks questions about the crime scene to gather info.  After a set time, everyone then debates over who did it.  After that's done, everyone votes for who they think did it, and whoever gets the most votes dies (though naturally not before it's revealed if they did it or not).  Finally, a small hint would be given as to who the mastermind could be.  If the players can figure out who's behind it before anyone escapes, then they win.

So problems I thought of while I was busy aren't too much, but they can be deal breakers for some people.

1. Probably the most noticeable would be...*sigh*...character creation.  It would have to be pretty in depth so I could (at least) try to come up with a potentially solvable scenario.

2. It's a logic based game.  Not everyone's thing.

3. It's a pretty secretive and random thing.  It would take a bit of work between killer and victim privately to make something at least semi-believable.  This means not revealing the answer to the current case out of spite.

4. Roleplay may or may not be involved somehow?  I don't know how exactly and I don't really want to force something if no one wants it anyways so it may not even really be an issue.

I guess the biggest thing is I want to know if anyone would be interested in it?  It would suck if I started it and only five people got into it ya know?
sounds fun but also confusing. how exactly would peoples turns work?
It's not so much turns as much as creating a story and solving it. My thought on it was having the major things (investigation and debate) happen over the weekend. During the week, a person would randomly be picked the killer and would then pick their victim. They would then talk to each other to come up with a murder that happens with in a reasonable situation. The end result would be submitted by friday.

Saturday investigation is mainly being given a basic summary of what the scene looks like and people would ask questions for more details (example might be defining a bit more what "Blood in various locations" means exactly, or if there's anything that looks like it might have been used as a weapon). Depending on what happened, more than one room might be involved.

Sunday debate is basically discussing with other players what happened and who might fit in the possibility of who might have done it (why character creation is at the top of the list of pain in the ass for me) before ending with the vote, including the killer who will probably throw out ideas to lead everyone else to pick an innocent. I'll probably set an end time for the debate (Probably like 8 PM to give people a chance to vote. Maybe have voting be possible til monday afternoon and simply not send the Antag PM til I know it won't be sent to someone who was eliminated). I expect to have this be real time.
and you plan to run this on here? how would you keep things private, just forum PM's? sounds like loads of fun btw
My main idea is sending out PMs to let people know to plan things and wait for them to send one back. The antag and victim themselves could either PM or use a private chat room (steam, discord, whatever), whichever would be easier/better. The only things I would need is, one, getting a PM with an explanation of what happened and, two, not seeing that information anywhere else.

If there's enough interest, I could probably start the game as early as tomorrow.
this sounds cool and i'll toss my hat in for a spot
this sounds kinda cool id be up for it
So, kinda a whodunit mixed with mafia/werewolves?
Now that I think about it I think that's a pretty good explanation...
Seems like a fun way to kill time until Danger Zone 3: Revenge of the Sith comes out. Count me in!

Given the SS13 flavor I'd assume the tone's going to be significantly sillier than it'd be without the spacemen, then?
Probably. It mostly depends on what the players do I think.

Considering the original mainly consists of students with bright futures doing terrible things and Goonstation consists of people who will go on a witch hunt cause a bee was murdered, I don't imagine it'll get TOO serious.

On a side note, idea. All things considered, should rounds each have their own separate thread or should everything be kept in a single thread? I thought about it yesterday, and while I think it might be easier to keep up with what's happening, I know multiple threads might be a pain for people.
You could always achieve a similar effect by editing the OP to link straight to the start of every round in the thread. It has the added benefit of keeping things nice and tidy for anyone who wants to go back over everything, too~.

Still, I'm not sure if you can edit the topic title to show what phase the game's on- individual topics to go between the daily/deadly life and the proper trials might not be a bad idea if you can't.
I just tested it, I could change the thread title to do that.

I forgot I could just go straight to the post itself with a link...