Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.29 Average
[Controversial] Attacking turf with a weapon will attack the person on it
Lightbulb 
To explain simply, when you click turf/decal with a weapon in-hand, you will hit the mob. This effectively turns a person's hitbox into 32x32 tile, eliminating the inconsistent hitreg based on different clothing, etc. and making it overall a bit more reliable to hit people (if you intend to attack them in the first place).
This will only affect weapons with force > 0 and/or stamina_damage > 20. Punches are unaffected (for now?).

Note that THIS IS LARGERY UNTESTED save for single-player monkey-beatings. To properly balance, fix and implement this patch it will need to be tested on a test server with a few people first!

The purpose of this patch is to eliminate a bit of the clickspammy factor and make misclicks less punishing for such tiny hitboxes (unless they're fat as shit or wearing a lot of things/a backpack/etc.)

Here's the PR
(09-17-2017, 12:20 PM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: To explain simply, when you click turf/decal with a weapon in-hand, you will hit the mob. This effectively turns a person's hitbox into 32x32 tile, eliminating the inconsistent hitreg based on different clothing, etc. and making it overall a bit more reliable to hit people (if you intend to attack them in the first place).
This will only affect weapons with force > 0 and/or stamina_damage > 20. Punches are unaffected (for now?).

Note that THIS IS LARGERY UNTESTED save for single-player monkey-beatings. To properly balance, fix and implement this patch it will need to be tested on a test server with a few people first!

The purpose of this patch is to eliminate a bit of the clickspammy factor and make misclicks less punishing for such tiny hitboxes (unless they're fat as shit or wearing a lot of things/a backpack/etc.)

Here's the PR

What happens if there are multiple people on the tile?  Admin shenanigans can stack a shit-ton of people, but more frequently it's just one guy farting on another.
I am wondering if it works with critters, because that would make some player-controlled critters like handspiders much weaker as they would be able to be hit while hiding under chairs and would be much easier to hit in general.
Critters are not affected, only mob/living are.
How does this play with guns?
Shouldn't affect them at all I think?
As I mentioned in the discord, this really only gets my support if you include a toggle.
So when you try to shoot someone point blank with any sort of gun, you still have to click on their mob?

Also, I'd like to echo Cyfarfod's concern.
The work around for a stack would be to make a rule; IE: Have it always attack the person on the top of the pile.

That said, I'm not quite in support of this.
Not a big fan, makes combat too easy
This might be edging into the spear's territory with the whole convenient combat thing. It already attacks everything in the target tile, and it's great against bees!

And it might make extinguishing people a bit more painful that it already is.
I'd rather this be a behavior reserved for specialized weapons like spears or future craftables.

That or go with the toggle thing. Maybe tie it to the harm intent?
No thanks. Trivializes combat.
(09-17-2017, 08:32 PM)Tom Clancy Wrote: No thanks. Trivializes combat.

and spears already exist for this
I'm thinking harm intent would work out, though it would also mean harm baton is all the more painful.

Imho this is the kind of update that desperately needs live testing and tweaking at least on a test server so we can form solid conclusions, as of now it's hard to determine whether or not this is good for combat.

Making combat a bit easier would simply encourage more use out of it imo, plus if flashes, pens are unaffected it would make stealth variants even more applicable only in stealth.