Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does anyone understand Pathology?
Even looking at the wiki, it just boggles my mind completely. There's so many numbers and variables and shit that I just lose my mind trying to figure out WHAT a pathogen is, let alone how to suppress and cure it. I've got to the point where I think I have a decent idea on how to suppress something, only for it to either 1) Get worse or 2) Makes no difference.

I know some people understand it. My question is HOW THE HELL DID YOU FIGURE IT OUT?!  Banging head against the wall
I personally enjoy pouring molten hot oil over my back other over trying to learn pathology.

I *think* I got somewhere, like you realized I wasn't going anywhere, then I realized I could do 101 things far more engaging.
Dunno how the first people worked it out, I mostly had it taught to me.

I was going to type up an effortpost, but upon reflection, maybe that time could be better spent making the wiki article itself more legible. Maybe I'll take a crack at it later.
I was told by so many people that it was RNG. So I never bothered with it. RNG is shit and is not worth anyone's time.
Of course no one can understand it, how else would NT sell their CDC crates.
It's largely luck and rng last I worked with it. Not that you can't get a debilitating bug without luck; you just need to forego the high-tier symptoms in favor of lots of lower level ones. That or a lot of time.

There's a number of people who are great at it. Lamar and Cassandra come to mind. That being said, it's not for everyone... which is probably a good thing. If it were more accessible then the whole system would need rebalancing.
I understand it. It was difficult at first, and I had to do a lot of trial and error (as well as selling my soul) but I eventually could do something with it. The more you try it the easier it gets
Alright, I think I've got the beginnings of a 'Path for dummies' that should be a little more legible than the one in the wiki, with pictures and all. Give me a while to write it up.
Pathology was made to be impossible to understand, in exchange of creating viruses that could wipe out the entire crew way too quickly. I know well about the latter, as I got cubeshamed for accidentally releasing a virus that killed mostly everyone because I thought it was harmless.
I have absolutely no idea how it works
i know nothing about it or have any idea about how it works (ok maybe i have a thing or two on what it is)
All I know is that you can make diseases that freeze people for minutes at a time.

I have never been infected with something positive, though I hear rumors that it's possible.
Alright, here's more or less what I know, summarized in a document.

I don't know if it ought to replace the current wiki page, or for that matter how to do that (wiki formatting and editing is not my forte), but here it is if anyone wants to read it. Any suggestions would be appreciated - I don't think I made any blatant mistakes or left out anything especially notable, but it's late and I'm tired and I could certainly have overlooked something.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfwahqb5k31rm4...ummies.pdf
(09-13-2017, 12:39 PM)Roomba Wrote: Alright, here's more or less what I know, summarized in a document.

I don't know if it ought to replace the current wiki page, or for that matter how to do that (wiki formatting and editing is not my forte), but here it is if anyone wants to read it. Any suggestions would be appreciated - I don't think I made any blatant mistakes or left out anything especially notable, but it's late and I'm tired and I could certainly have overlooked something.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfwahqb5k31rm4...ummies.pdf

Well done, man. I need a few more reads to actually internalize it, but this is super clear, and your pictures REALLY put it ahead of the wiki. Thanks! THANKS! This is exactly the kind of tedious, random, bullshit work I actually enjoy for some fucked up reason.
I heard somewhere that pathology is the incomplete project of a coder who isn't on the team anymore, and looking at it in it's current state it is easy to make that conclusion.