Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[Feature] Detective Personal Objective - Personalized Mystery...
Photo 
So, every odd round or whenever RNG wills it, Detective's personal objective would be to "Solve the mystery of [blank]". What this means is to roam around maint, find a trinket and jumpstart an investigation!

The randomly generated case would create an interesting or nonsensical story to follow, with a randomised conclusion. Maybe you found a dead clown's decapitated body stuffed in a locker inside a wall. Maybe you found your loved one's diamond ring. Maybe you found the old captain's logs uncovering some sort of secret government conspiracy. Either way, it's something for the detective to do on slow rounds and a fun diversion just to see what weird shit you have to uncover now!

Perhaps this could go a step further and introduce random NPC's for the detective to speak to and ask the right questions.
At this point, maybe just play a detective game...?

I appreciate you wanting more stuff for the detective to do, but the point of SS13 is more or less that everyone is plunked down into a role which they may or may not decide to fulfill, and the 'story' of the round comes with their interactions with others. There's nothing stopping the detective from pretending to run his own mystery story and getting other people in on it.
Yeah but there's shit like solarium and the entirety of adventure zone, both of which are completely nonessential to the round yet people still occasionally do it.

I get that the detective can run his own story but having a random case pop up he can solve just for shits and giggles is very well within the spirit of ss13 imho
I'm not sure this fluff will become something that is actually followed. If I was security (the department that actually takes the detective usually seriously), and some detective starting spouting about a wedding ring he found in maint, and how he suspects the clown is involved, I'd immedietely realize that he's pulling this gimmick and then I would tell him to shut fucking up and help me with the the 101 real problems on the station.
Fair enough, might be that this idea would be taking away from the actual focus of the job rather than adding onto it.
I think, the less complex this is, the better.

Maybe just hide The Maltese Falcon somewhere each round and make it a Detective objective to end the round with it in their possession.

Then let the complexity develop in the steps the player has to take to find it, or get it from people that have a hold of it.
this might fit better on the rp server

or make it like a miscreant objective and include other people in it
(09-11-2017, 12:15 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: this might fit better on the rp server

or make it like a miscreant objective and include other people in it

Is it possible to tie it into SOMEONE ELSE'S miscreant objective?"

Urist McGreytide has the "break as much shit as you can without breaking the rules" objective... could it ALSO spawn a note somewhere that hints at who has the objective and why, and could the detective get some sort of clue to find it, for example?