Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix thermals, buff attenuation goggles, and introduce nightvision goggles.
Fix thermals
Thermals suck since they got nerfed 2 years back. They were nerfed for good reason, but what we currently have now is poor. Numerous suggestions over the years have pointed out a superior fix, and with the introduction of ghostdrone vision, this kind of fix is very much possible. 
Thermals view indistinguishable overlays of players through walls, but also in front of you.
So its prenerf thermals. But like ghostdrone vision, you can't make out who the heck it is. This is for all players viewed, so it doesn't matter if they're behind a wall or not. You might see a cloaker waltzing down, but you can't distinguish between him and your average crew. You also can't make out actions, so if you spot a downed player and another over him, it might be a changeling, it might be the hos farting on a clown. Unlike ghostdrone vision, you also can't make out if a player is doing something to themselves, like spying on traitors spawning stuff. Corpses also appear, but only for a short period of time, as they go cold. It also would not show up a vampire under cloak of darkness, as hes technically dead.
Yeesh sun, thats a lot of negative, anything good?
Well yeah. Thermals would be great for chasing players. But a player might run into a crowd of indistinguishable blobs, and you'd run straight past him if still wearing thermals. It'd also be good at catching lings in the act, which may bother some, but that could give rise to a new ling power, which could be something along the lines of cold blood/appearing dead, etc. 

Buff/change attenuation goggles
Some threads of attenuation goggles for fixing kind of missing the point at what attenuation goggles are actually meant to be. Currently they're budget nightvision goggles. I hate this. So here's a suggestion:
Attenuation goggles give you full xray vision, you can see perfectly. BUT, all players/mobs/objects other than walls are now invisible. It can be toggled off/on at will.
Like what I did there? Attenuation goggles are now like an inverse thermals, as you can't see anybody (but your text vision is still active). I was thinking that players could appear in your FoV if they're two tiles away from you, but as skeletons so you get spooked.  So you definitely dont want them on all the time, but these would be great for repairing/mining. You'd be able to make out where breaches are, what walls/ ground need fixing, able to see through rock, etc. Essentially able to assess rooms better, with a drawback that it'd be more of a click on-check-click off kind of set up. 

Introduce nightvision goggles in QM
Thats it really. By changing shit around above, it give room for nightvisions goggles to be introduced. As far as I'm aware they're in abandoned crates, but could should be available for purchase in QM. They should come in some of covert crate, which include x1 pair of nv goggles, a box of sec spy stickers, and a tracking device/implanter.
That proposed thermals "fix" just seems like a lot of window dressing, though. Why not just pop the thermals on, see some fuckwad and someone else on top of each other, pop them off and ambush the fuckers in the middle of their vile act of ERP? If you're giving chase to someone chances are they're just about out of your screen vision anyway, thermals would make shit worse for you.

And you're telling me you want to change attenuation goggles into... meson goggles.
"Meson Goggles
What distinguishes an engineer from an assistant. Tints the vision green, but, when toggled, allows the wearer to see the condition of the station infrastructure through walls, and allows better vision in the dark. Rather scarce aside from the units that start in card-locked equipment lockers. "
wait a sec attenuation goggles ARE meson goggles what the shit.

I'd rather not give crew the potential to just full-supply everyone with NVG and fuck over vampires, changelings, stealthy traitors and everything in between completely, since some stealth depends on darkness.
As far as I am aware, there are nightvision goggles on the syndicate shuttle, but they do jack shit.
How about instead of easily available night vision, we get light amplification gogggles instead?

It takes existing light sources and greatly increases it's room brightening for the wearer. Disadvantage is brightly lit rooms are overexposed.

100% Behind thermals and attenuation changes
(09-09-2017, 07:59 AM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: That proposed thermals "fix" just seems like a lot of window dressing, though. Why not just pop the thermals on, see some fuckwad and someone else on top of each other, pop them off and ambush the fuckers in the middle of their vile act of ERP? If you're giving chase to someone chances are they're just about out of your screen vision anyway, thermals would make shit worse for you.

Because most cases, a perp will run into maint, in which that maze will force a detective to pop them on. You're right, it's a matter of popping them on and popping them off. This is intended. Prior to nerf, detectives just waltzed around with them on with pretty much no consequence other than being able to get flashed. With this, they're FAR more situational. I want them to be situational, just not useless. Even to the point if, say for example a player is cold; they're invisible. 
And things like lings and vamps: Give them powers to counteract this. Lings could unlock a cold blood unlock where when they're absorbing a player, they turn cold and inject cold blood into their target meaning that during this period they're invisible. Vampires could be invisible during cloak of darkness (but only during cloak, that way thermals don't out a vampire outright)

Quote:And you're telling me you want to change attenuation goggles into... meson goggles.
"Meson Goggles 
What distinguishes an engineer from an assistant. Tints the vision green, but, when toggled, allows the wearer to see the condition of the station infrastructure through walls, and allows better vision in the dark. Rather scarce aside from the units that start in card-locked equipment lockers. "
wait a sec attenuation goggles ARE meson goggles what the shit.

This suggestion is actually what meson goggles were like prior to lighting change. Only perfect x-ray vision only worked past your normal FoV. Currently attenuation are like poor man's NV googles. This is not cool. The proposed change brings them back to perfect xray vision, but with various caveats. Again, like thermals, situational but not completely useless.

Quote:I'd rather not give crew the potential to just full-supply everyone with NVG and fuck over vampires, changelings, stealthy traitors and everything in between completely, since some stealth depends on darkness.

Heads up before I kick off a shitstorm: As far I was aware, NVG's is not perfect nightvision. They only extend your FoV by 2-3 tiles in the dark. They're not as powerful you peeps are making them out to be.
EDIT: Am I wrong here? Musketman's experience is pointing out the opposite to what I was thinking.
(09-09-2017, 07:50 AM)Sundance Wrote: Fix thermals
Thermals suck since they got nerfed 2 years back. They were nerfed for good reason, but what we currently have now is poor. Numerous suggestions over the years have pointed out a superior fix, and with the introduction of ghostdrone vision, this kind of fix is very much possible. 
Thermals view indistinguishable overlays of players through walls, but also in front of you.
So its prenerf thermals. But like ghostdrone vision, you can't make out who the heck it is. This is for all players viewed, so it doesn't matter if they're behind a wall or not. You might see a cloaker waltzing down, but you can't distinguish between him and your average crew. You also can't make out actions, so if you spot a downed player and another over him, it might be a changeling, it might be the hos farting on a clown. Unlike ghostdrone vision, you also can't make out if a player is doing something to themselves, like spying on traitors spawning stuff. Corpses also appear, but only for a short period of time, as they go cold. It also would not show up a vampire under cloak of darkness, as hes technically dead.
Yeesh sun, thats a lot of negative, anything good?
Well yeah. Thermals would be great for chasing players. But a player might run into a crowd of indistinguishable blobs, and you'd run straight past him if still wearing thermals. It'd also be good at catching lings in the act, which may bother some, but that could give rise to a new ling power, which could be something along the lines of cold blood/appearing dead, etc. 

This sounds neato except the cloaker part, I should still be able to see the cloaker shimmer overlay otherwise i'm not going to be able to see/notice him unless I take off the thermals which is dumb cause that's what the thermals are for.

Quote:Buff/change attenuation goggles
Some threads of attenuation goggles for fixing kind of missing the point at what attenuation goggles are actually meant to be. Currently they're budget nightvision goggles. I hate this. So here's a suggestion:
Attenuation goggles give you full xray vision, you can see perfectly. BUT, all players/mobs/objects other than walls are now invisible. It can be toggled off/on at will.
Like what I did there? Attenuation goggles are now like an inverse thermals, as you can't see anybody (but your text vision is still active). I was thinking that players could appear in your FoV if they're two tiles away from you, but as skeletons so you get spooked.  So you definitely dont want them on all the time, but these would be great for repairing/mining. You'd be able to make out where breaches are, what walls/ ground need fixing, able to see through rock, etc. Essentially able to assess rooms better, with a drawback that it'd be more of a click on-check-click off kind of set up. 

Pretty sure this is exactly what meson goggles were. If I remember correctly there was some issue with the new lighting code that borked them so they were converted into what they currently are.

Quote:Introduce nightvision goggles in QM

Thats it really. By changing shit around above, it give room for nightvisions goggles to be introduced. As far as I'm aware they're in abandoned crates, but could should be available for purchase in QM. They should come in some of covert crate, which include x1 pair of nv goggles, a box of sec spy stickers, and a tracking device/implanter.
Sounds like a cool crate traitors could get by emagging the QM console or just make it a little expensive.

Quote:Lord Birb

As far as I am aware, there are nightvision goggles on the syndicate shuttle, but they do jack shit.
Actually they are really useful if you use a powersink or you RPG the lights as then the crew can't see shit while you can snipe them from across the room.
I like the changes to thermals, just instead of pop on/off, make them like current mesons your turn them on/off
Making thermals something other than anti-cloaker goggles would be fantastic. Sundance's idea is a nice way to make thermals useful in finding cloakers, rather than a boring straight up hard-counter. Finding cloakers with the new thermals would require using them intelligently and being aware of your surroundings. It also means that cloakers can still get the drop on a thermal wearer if they aren't paying attention.

The changes to thermals would also make them great for tracking shady people in maint. This would be pretty excellent; currently shady business tends to have very little chance of being interrupted due to the size of maps and the frequent lack of security.

Night vison goggles are criminally underused as well, being only available reliably to nuke-ops, who generally stick with sunglasses. If nothing else, give them to QM, who are starved of useful items to buy.