Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Annual public releases of sanitized code
There are a few suggestions that would require the most up-to-date code to minimize pain and suffering, like the smell update, or updates which require newest features to be there (like footprint tracking - 2016 release doesn't have footprints).
Code snippets would also require a lot of work on the patcher's end due to the fact that newcode might use a lot of newdependencies and those newdependencies are dependant on other newdependencies and oldcode dependency breaks newcode dependency... you get the gist.
(09-14-2017, 12:59 AM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: There are a few suggestions that would require the most up-to-date code to minimize pain and suffering, like the smell update, or updates which require newest features to be there (like footprint tracking - 2016 release doesn't have footprints).
Code snippets would also require a lot of work on the patcher's end due to the fact that newcode might use a lot of newdependencies and those newdependencies are dependant on other newdependencies and oldcode dependency breaks newcode dependency... you get the gist.

That whole "smell" thing is new, not really sure how it ties into needing the absolute latest code for initial implementation. Footprints, sure. If someone wants to work on that: just ask for the relevant code snippets from a coder.

I understand where you're coming from, I just really don't think it's actually an issue that can't be solved by "hey, can I get the code related to X as I'm working on Y (see thread Z)?".
Actually ran into a limitation in 2016 version that made me rethink my design and improve it. This can happen too I guess!
(09-14-2017, 05:28 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 12:59 AM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: There are a few suggestions that would require the most up-to-date code to minimize pain and suffering, like the smell update, or updates which require newest features to be there (like footprint tracking - 2016 release doesn't have footprints).

That whole "smell" thing is new, not really sure how it ties into needing the absolute latest code for initial implementation. Footprints, sure. If someone wants to work on that: just ask for the relevant code snippets from a coder.

I understand where you're coming from, I just really don't think it's actually an issue that can't be solved by "hey, can I get the code related to X as I'm working on Y (see thread Z)?".

There's actually some very incredibly major limitations to that approach.

Unless you have the full code for the feature and all of it's dependencies, you cannot compiler test or playtest your feature properly. And even if you have it, implementing it, testing everything, then removing the non-public code every single time you want to push it to your branch is a hell of a lot of work
Yeah not to mention that recently implemented phobias worked perfectly on my branch and yet they're still broken on the current code server and I cannot do anything to even begin trying to fix it. It's frustrating.
(09-13-2017, 09:23 AM)Mordent Wrote: Include sensible documentation detailing the changes, and respond to feedback appropriately.

Big plus on this. You might notice Mordent had some of the nicest writeups on how their patches operated, and now they seem to be a coder? Correlation does not imply causation, but...

(09-17-2017, 06:56 AM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: Yeah not to mention that recently implemented phobias worked perfectly on my branch and yet they're still broken on the current code server and I cannot do anything to even begin trying to fix it. It's frustrating.

They're working fine for me on live!

(09-17-2017, 05:58 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: Unless you have the full code for the feature and all of it's dependencies, you cannot compiler test or playtest your feature properly. And even if you have it, implementing it, testing everything, then removing the non-public code every single time you want to push it to your branch is a hell of a lot of work

Can you name a case where you would need the full code and not just the associated procs/args/variables to pass? If you can name it and the idea is of merit, talk to a coder about getting more of the behind-the-scenes code. Also, if you're dealing with secret stuff just put it in the exploits section like we've said for all secret content.
I don't think it is working though, if you say "ape" and you shudder that's only one part of the phobia. Being near monkeys should make you freak out and faint but from my experience it doesn't, unless you fixed something recently?
Also just as a comment: moving every thing we consider "secret" (recipes, solarium hijinks etc) to a dedicated branch or whatever, would be a considerable amount of work. As many of you know, goonstation is not the best coded project in existence and well, everything is just kinda sitting everywhere. I'm not saying it's too much work but it's definitely a factor when considering whether it's worth it to undertake (additionally it probably wouldn't be very fun work for the coder/s involved).
Yeah, that's the biggest hurdle for sure. To do this efficiently you'd have to do a lot of refactoring
I nominate Crystalwarrior to do all the hard work
(09-21-2017, 08:52 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: I nominate Crystalwarrior to do all the hard work
(09-21-2017, 09:32 AM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 08:52 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: I nominate Crystalwarrior to do all the work
too much work not enough reward

people patching can just ask for relevant code bits
(09-21-2017, 03:13 PM)Tarmunora Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 08:52 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: I nominate Crystalwarrior to do all the work

Can we get him to swear an oath of secrecy though
(09-21-2017, 05:18 PM)Newtonsolo Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 03:13 PM)Tarmunora Wrote:

[Image: 7E4cEWy.gif]