Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Being blind makes you helpless
Say you're an idiot and bust up your eyes. Not hard to fix, just put on a VISOR or chug some occuline. But you can't, and you need to rely on the kindness of the crew to be both your eyes and your hands.

When your spaceman goes blind, it loses the ability to interact with the world and with itself. You can't click on the world to pick up drugs, you can't click on yourself to eat a drugs, and you can't ctrl-alt-shift-click nearby tiles to be a smartass and beat the system.

Which kinda sucks, since the clown can permanently blind themself with a banana. While that's absolutely hilarious, it gets a lot less funny that they're now more crippled than if they lost both their arms.
you can right click to be a smart ass, but yes its a really annoying thing to just be helpless after getting blinded we really need a command to use items on yourself.
I think you should be allowed to click on yourself at the very least (blind people can eat deep-fried ass too!) but I don't mind the having to right click on squares around you.

It strikes me as a nice way of simulating how you have to feel around you since you're blind, instead of just seeing and grabbing somethng.
(09-07-2017, 08:37 AM)NesMettaur Wrote: I think you should be allowed to click on yourself at the very least (blind people can eat deep-fried ass too!) but I don't mind the having to right click on squares around you.

It strikes me as a nice way of simulating how you have to feel around you since you're blind, instead of just seeing and grabbing somethng.

yes.

also clowns can't perma-blind themselves with bananas, just temporarily stun and impair vision. knives though, damn. (as a clown i once used one of those fancy pda mechcomp things which made you stab shitty bill with a knife, no matter where you were, and i did it from across the station and went blind
I have a bad memory of blinding myself as geneticist thinking it'd be no big deal. Oh, just feel my way up to the supplies locker in the operating theatre, no problem. Things are never that simple.
(09-07-2017, 01:39 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: I have a bad memory of blinding myself as geneticist thinking it'd be no big deal. Oh, just feel my way up to the supplies locker in the operating theatre, no problem. Things are never that simple.

Ha, I did that exact same damn thing, trying to minmax my stability back before activators were in game.
Personally I feel like you should be able to click things like normal and your vision limited to just what is on your own tile.

If you wanted to get fancy, things that make a noise should briefly be visible
There should be an echolocation trait that lets blind people locate nearby objects.
honestly a feature request but i agree
Blindness shouldn't make literally the whole game unplayable. If you're not allowed to use anything on yourself, I'd rather be actually for real blind to justify that.
Several threads on this. Want.
I agree you should be able to at least interact with your body.
I think it might be silly or amusing if genetics could give an echolocation mutation that either relied on blindness or a blind fold, but at least let you move around freely because it showed walls and doors. Maybe even false walls because they could sound different. It could probably even faintly show when the power's down. (since presumably it could work like drone vision, only it shows shapes for things you can't walk through rather then just shapes for humans.

Basically like a genetics version of mesons.

Blindness as a whole kinda sucks though.