Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Skill Traits
Right now, certain jobs on that station have a unique skill. For instance, the Bartender can taste chems in drinks. I propose that:

1. More job unique skills are created
  2. They are treated like free traits you gain when getting your job
  3. They can also be obtained as +1 traits before round start. Picking a trait this way guarantees you'll have it at round start. You can potentially get multiple job skills by picking one and getting a job related one for free, but picking one and getting the job associated with it wastes the point
Some potential job skills:
  • Head of Personnel and Captain - Can tell what job skills other players have by examining them
  • Engineers - Slightly higher resistance to oxygen loss or heat damage
  • Security - Slightly lower chance of being disarmed
  • Detective - Slightly more information about other players on examine based on recent actions (Stuff like if they have washed their hands recently, eaten or drank a substance recently, have residue left from gunpowder, sweat from dragging around something heavy. Think Sherlock Holmes deductive reasoning)
  • Chef - Immune to food poisoning
  • Medical - On examining an injured player, gets a recommended treatment
  • QM - Can tell the market value of an item by examining it
  • Miner - Slightly higher resistance to radiation
  • Clown - Will sometimes, instead of tripping, performs a flip and lands on their feet
  • Staff Assistant - A randomized job skill from the above
how much would each of these 'slightly' effective skills actually do stuff? like, slightly lower chance of being disarmed, is that like, 1/100 times they'll ignore what was going to be a successful disarm, or like, it takes at least 18 shoves to disarm them, or something

edit: i do like this idea though
(09-06-2017, 01:06 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: how much would each of these 'slightly' effective skills actually do stuff? like, slightly lower chance of being disarmed, is that like, 1/100 times they'll ignore what was going to be a successful disarm, or like, it takes at least 18 shoves to disarm them, or something

edit: i do like this idea though

That's something to be decided, if these are even the skills decided. I figure, if a regular person has something like a 40% chance of being disarmed, a Sec officer would be like 35% so very marginal.

TBH I think a better skill could be put in some of these jobs that don't rely on percentages because I'm more of a fan of the QM or existing Bartender one.

I'm also remembering that Sec does get a healing bonus for donuts, so maybe that oughta be theirs?
Ok so i think this is a good idea though first of all i think they should be things like extra examine text(or special messages when you do a certain interaction) or increased healing from specific things.
so here are my ideas(i think i went overboard on the examine text thing though)
Man of god(chaplain): tells if something is holy(essentially stuff that would hurt vampires)
Mechanical apptitude(mechanic): tells if something is compatible with analyzer on examine
Human canary(engineer/ce/atmo tech): ability get broad details about atmosphere by examine text(to hot to cold, plasma leak)
IT guy(no one trait only?): network id/other details of a device on inspection(maybe add to mechanic)
Food connoisseur(chef)- tells if its under or over cooked either on examine or consumption
darwinian eyes(geneticist)- active genes on examine
medical training(md doctor roboticist)- increased surgery chances and judging if a brain is cold(already exists in code)
i cant think of any for science that wouldnt either outdo the barmans or be overpowered
Cool. Some of these skills seem a bit off (eg. medical - that's what ProDocs are for!), but the general idea sounds pretty fun. I'd be opposed to being able to select these things as traits, though.

edit: Oh, I just remembered - don't doctors have a smaller chance of messing up surgery? Would that count as their skill?
How about for medical doctors- you can operate on any prone person, without needing a table?
(09-06-2017, 03:00 PM)Newtonsolo Wrote: Human canary(engineer/ce/atmo tech): ability get broad details about atmosphere by examine text(to hot to cold, plasma leak)

How about if it automatically told you when something is wrong with the air "you taste plasma" or something like that

(09-06-2017, 03:00 PM)Newtonsolo Wrote: IT guy(no one trait only?): network id/other details of a device on inspection(maybe add to mechanic)

This would be extremely useful to the Research Director, the RD has superuser access and deals with the buddies etc.
(09-06-2017, 03:21 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote: How about for medical doctors- you can operate on any prone person, without needing a table?

no

this would be crazy overpowered and abused. stun baton and then remove brain. easy
I like this.

I suggested something previously akin to this, only it was food orientated. Eat food: Get skills for x period of time.
As a networking nerd, I feel I have the authority to say that the IT Guy trait might be a little overpowered, just due to how it removes some busywork with packethacking that sorta balances it. No requirement to ping, no requirement to figure out what ID is for what, just examine your target and copypaste that ID. Nethacking past doors is already really good, you could just do it in a matter of a couple seconds with that.
(09-06-2017, 09:10 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 03:21 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote: How about for medical doctors- you can operate on any prone person, without needing a table?

no

this would be crazy overpowered and abused. stun baton and then remove brain. easy

What about only for strictly-helpful operations, like limb reattachment or shrapnel removal? Would be super great with the new elimbinator sword running around. Pretty sure you can still lop off limbs and brains if you table-zap someone.

Perhaps doctors (or maybe even just the chaplain) could tell if a corpse could be cloned, or if their ghost is still around. Could have them both able to do it, just with different flavor text.
I think doctors already have significantly less chance to botch surgery?
I know I tend to see those random "Dropped The Scalpal" messages less often when I start work in medbay, but that could just be my luck.
I like this. Here are a few possibly terrible ideas:

Janitor - CleanSense - Can tell where the dirtiest room on the station is
Roboticist - Robotic Understanding - Has a slight chance of overhearing part of robotic speech without an implant (roughly the same as chaplain and ghosts)
Geneticist - Potent Genes - Genetic abilities have a slightly shorter cooldown
Scientist - Efficient Chemistry - Mix chemicals without waste, get larger amounts of product! (e.g. mix 10 lithium, mercury, sugar, get 15 space drugs instead of 10)
Head of Security - CrimeVision - Can see people who are set to arrest without needing security glasses

Perhaps also a general trait - Still In Training - which cancels out any job related bonuses for those who dont like them or want a challenge.
(09-07-2017, 08:54 AM)Firebarrage Wrote: Scientist - Efficient Chemistry - Mix chemicals without waste, get larger amounts of product! (e.g. mix 10 lithium, mercury, sugar, get 15 space drugs instead of 10)

Gonna need this whitelisted. What if someone with this made some QGP?
Additional problem: What if you make 90u of something, which will be multiplied to 135u, in a 100u beaker?
I don't think these should be buyable, but inherent to the job like the barman's thing.