Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
[FEATURE] Windoor hacking + directional building bugfix {SUPER DUPER READY!!!}
Suggested in: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=9157
IT IS READY!

Features:
  • construction/deconstruction (steps shown in examine text)
  • basic hacking
BONUS BUGFIX: Patch: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation-2016/pull/51
I don't think being able to crowbar powered doors closed is a bug. I imagine it's basically giving it a little whack to remind it to auto-close.

I also don't think this is anywhere near enough complexity for opening these - those glass doors are used for surprisingly secure areas, and it comes with no risk. If you want to use the "but there are probably windows around" thing, remember that they likely have grilles that may be electrified. This change would basically mean that glass doors offer zero security.

If it took some time to pry open (i.e. had one of those progress bars) it might be okay, I suppose. Just my two cents, though.
(09-05-2017, 05:52 PM)Mordent Wrote: I don't think being able to crowbar powered doors closed is a bug. I imagine it's basically giving it a little whack to remind it to auto-close.

I also don't think this is anywhere near enough complexity for opening these - those glass doors are used for surprisingly secure areas, and it comes with no risk. If you want to use the "but there are probably windows around" thing, remember that they likely have grilles that may be electrified. This change would basically mean that glass doors offer zero security.

If it took some time to pry open (i.e. had one of those progress bars) it might be okay, I suppose. Just my two cents, though.
Alright, I could add a progress bar. Is there any way to actually make the process itself more difficult without making it too bulky? (I don't want to have something like an airlock hacking screen for example)

Also, I'll go ahead and revert the airlock change and add a comment when I have the chance.
What's the problem in making glass doors function similarly to airlocks, bolting and all? It's kinda weird there's this distinction in the first place.
(09-05-2017, 08:57 PM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: What's the problem in making glass doors function similarly to airlocks, bolting and all? It's kinda weird there's this distinction in the first place.

too small of a sprite? gotta display all airlock stuff then. also, immersion, it don't have the stuff to do that
Wait a second, what secure areas are there that are protected with sliding doors and don't have thin windows nearby? I thought the brig used sliding doors (considering there's a section in the window.dm file called "brig door") but I just checked the map and it doesn't, so I'm confused. Am I missing something? (AI Upload and Computer Core are secure areas but they have thin windows right next to the doors, so that doesn't really make it more secure.

EDIT: The only /secure/ area that I can think of with a sliding door is cog1 QM, but not many people are going to be breaking into QM.

(I'll still make a progress bar for crowbarring the door though)
(09-06-2017, 11:26 AM)Triacontakai Wrote: Wait a second, what secure areas are there that are protected with sliding doors and don't have thin windows nearby? I thought the brig used sliding doors (considering there's a section in the window.dm file called "brig door") but I just checked the map and it doesn't, so I'm confused. Am I missing something? (AI Upload and Computer Core are secure areas but they have thin windows right next to the doors, so that doesn't really make it more secure.

EDIT: The only /secure/ area that I can think of with a sliding door is cog1 QM, but not many people are going to be breaking into QM.

AI upload on Destiny immediately comes to mind. The brig on the Destiny also uses sliding doors, and the windows there are plasmaglass so not trivial to bust through (screwdriver/crowbar/screwdriver obviously works, but there are several layers of it if I remember rightly).
(09-06-2017, 12:47 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 11:26 AM)Triacontakai Wrote: Wait a second, what secure areas are there that are protected with sliding doors and don't have thin windows nearby? I thought the brig used sliding doors (considering there's a section in the window.dm file called "brig door") but I just checked the map and it doesn't, so I'm confused. Am I missing something? (AI Upload and Computer Core are secure areas but they have thin windows right next to the doors, so that doesn't really make it more secure.

AI upload on Destiny immediately comes to mind. The brig on the Destiny also uses sliding doors, and the windows there are plasmaglass so not trivial to bust through (screwdriver/crowbar/screwdriver obviously works, but there are several layers of it if I remember rightly).
Ahh, I'm pretty unfamiliar with Destiny and failed to take that into account oops. It seems fine in the brig but yeah the AI upload is completely surrounded by walls so that's a little bit of a problem.

also i am dum how do you give actions a progress bar lol
i see that its a datum but i have no clue how to use those frown
Uhh, unless there is any progress on this I'ma move this to rejected.
Yeah I'm gonna keep working on this now, dropped it for a while. I shall finish this!
If you want an idea i had on how to balance it, what if you made it so there were two kinds of windoor. Easy to hack glass ones which showed up in civilian spots like the bar, and harder to hack plasmaglass ones with additional features, maybe like bolts and or ai controls., that appeared in places like destiny's brig and upload.
(11-27-2017, 04:43 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: If you want an idea i had on how to balance it, what if you made it so there were two kinds of windoor. Easy to hack glass ones which showed up in civilian spots like the bar, and harder to hack plasmaglass ones with additional features, maybe like bolts and or ai controls., that appeared in places like destiny's brig and upload.
I think there's already the hardened brig ones, so that could work. I don't think they're actually in use anywhere though, would have to be mapped in

UPDATE: okay i added a delay for forcing open the windoor and added some examine text for access panel status and if it's disabled.
next thing will be to add a way to construct and deconstruct windoors probably
I need opinions: would it be better if windoors were built using RCD, or through the material menu for sheets?
I'm thinking building an assembly with glass and inserting cable, but I'm open to opinions
(12-02-2017, 09:43 AM)Triacontakai Wrote: I need opinions: would it be better if windoors were built using RCD, or through the material menu for sheets?
I'm thinking building an assembly with glass and inserting cable, but I'm open to opinions

Material menu
OK I believe I am done!

EDIT: the PR says that the entire file was removed and added back, anything I can do to fix that?