Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Igniter/Signaller Aseemblies for Pipebombs
Self-explanatory.  I figure there's a decent chance this has been thought of or tried before, and it doesn't exist for a reason?  But worth a shot.
Yes.
More interactive signaller stuff the better.
i love stuff with aseemblies
assembees?
(09-06-2017, 02:12 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote: i love stuff with aseemblies

I know, I know. I saw it, thought about fixing it, and said "screw it let someone get their jollies mocking me, you know it's gonna happen".
Pipebombs are really good at exploding things (duh) and are really cheap to throw together. Blackpowder can cause some serious damage to anyone nearby, typically gibbing them. One of their balancing mechanisms is that you can't set them off at will, relying on a timer and a conspicuous throw to catch people in the blast.

Then again, mousetrap bombs exist, so f-that then. Would be super useful in backpacks and medkits to disguise the bomb and keep people from running. Yeah, sure, why not?
(09-06-2017, 10:16 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Pipebombs are really good at exploding things (duh) and are really cheap to throw together. Blackpowder can cause some serious damage to anyone nearby, typically gibbing them. One of their balancing mechanisms is that you can't set them off at will, relying on a timer and a conspicuous throw to catch people in the blast.

Then again, mousetrap bombs exist, so f-that then. Would be super useful in backpacks and medkits to disguise the bomb and keep people from running. Yeah, sure, why not?

Like, here's my biggest argument about why it would be a good idea. It has to do with my first rounds on SS13 Goonstation, probably back in Winter 2015-2016, and then my life got busy and I stopped playing until relatively recently.

Anyhow, this is the story of the first time I heard the song Uptown Funk.

Someone (lots of details are sadly lost in the mists of time and marijuana) had gone to an awful lot of effort, laying out some type of remote-signaled bomb. Maybe you could remote sig pipe bombs back then. Maybe it was simple welding tanks with igniter/signaller assembles under them. Maybe TTVs. I can't recall. Anyhow, they put it a LOT of work apparently, stashing these things ALL OVER the station. I FEEL like I remember OOC chat saying that each cluster was a box, full of boxes, full of pipe bombs. Anyhow.

All of the sudden the song Uptown Funk starts playing. I dunno if it was an admin playing a round and making the music, or an admin saw what was happening and started the music, or a coincidence, or the guy prayed for a dramatic song, or what. All I know is, I start hearing *clap* "do doo-doo, do doo-doo" etc.

As soon as the horn section comes in, everything starts shaking and the hallway just south of where I was walking was gone. A few bars of music pass and there's a quieter (more distant) explosion, again everything is shaking. Bruno starts patter-singing whatever he says in that song, everything is exploding, people are running around bleeding and on fire. It was the most glorious round I've ever been a part of, and it was seeing everything go to shit like that that made me WANT to stay, though I had to take care of IRL stuff for a while. It was THAT memory that got me to recall the game's existence and come back.

It was the first time I ever heard that song, and the first time I ever saw things go to shit so magnificently.

ON THE OTHER HAND- you're right, pipe bombs are REALLY easy to make. Black powder is less easy to make, but get enough welding fuel pipe bombs and you could definitely be DISRUPTIVE AND OBNOXIOUS. I dunno. Personally I think the potential to do fun "hahahahaha I have laced the station with bombs, here are my demands" stuff outweighs the potential for dumb shit.
why is this not in the game
Yes also more types of pipe bomb

Banana bomb is basically a much more deadly banana grenade

Booze bomb, gets people drunk and full of shrapnel

Kush bomb...I could go on
How about letting you make the specail pipe bombs (confetti, gibs, etc) without the explosion part? I'd love to be able to lob pipebombs that ONLY spray gibs everywhere, without also getting arrested for bombing the bar. (using non-explosive stuff just makes the bomb fizzle worthlessly right now)
(09-08-2017, 10:21 AM)Tarmunora Wrote: How about letting you make the specail pipe bombs (confetti, gibs, etc) without the explosion part? I'd love to be able to lob pipebombs that ONLY spray gibs everywhere, without also getting arrested for bombing the bar. (using non-explosive stuff just makes the bomb fizzle worthlessly right now)

I'm not saying this to try to police this thread, I think this is also a super great idea and deserves it's own thread.
(09-08-2017, 08:46 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: why is this not in the game

I honestly thought it was. It's funny how some ideas are hidden in plain sight, so to speak.

Anyways, yes to more pipebombs and pipebomb accessories. I want to become the next Shank Shill.
(09-08-2017, 12:05 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 10:21 AM)Tarmunora Wrote: How about letting you make the specail pipe bombs (confetti, gibs, etc) without the explosion part? I'd love to be able to lob pipebombs that ONLY spray gibs everywhere, without also getting arrested for bombing the bar. (using non-explosive stuff just makes the bomb fizzle worthlessly right now)

I'm not saying this to try to police this thread, I think this is also a super great idea and deserves it's own thread.
I feel like DIY firecrackers could be a good way to open up gimmick bombs without the lethality of pipebombs or ttv's.

That said I'm open to seeing pipebombs get some QOL improvements. Just scale down the destruction potential if you don't want them being overused, or increase the fail rate like zip guns. Sure you litter the station in pipe bombs hooked to a single trigger, but what happens when about half are duds with your fingerprints on them?
(09-08-2017, 02:41 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: I feel like DIY firecrackers could be a good way to open up gimmick bombs without the lethality of pipebombs or ttv's.
Firecracker: take a piece of paper, add black powder, (or idk dip a cig in welding fuel?) 
It now goes bang (sound & text only) when you toss it. Great. 
Add stuff to it and secure it with tape, now you have a star. 
when you throw it it scatters the stuff you added to it in every direction, gibbing / damaging the stuff if possible. 
ex: strap a bunch of bananas, you get peels all over, strap meat, you get blood and gibs, etc.