Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make the trait 'addict' less punishing
So I had a lark, joined the RPG-server as a HoP, which was deserted, with the 'addict'-trait:
-You spawn with a random addiction. Once cured there is a small chance that you will suffer a relapse.

And I got a Methamphetamine addiction, which is probably the easiest of the addictive chems to deal acquire.
Except the withdrawal hit right from the start!
I managed to make it into chemistry, but by the time I had cooked up a batch, the damage from withdrawal had already put me into deep critical condition, and no amount of Meth could keep me alive at that point.

And this was under more or less perfect conditions. I was able to run to the bridge, get access, run to the lab, and brew unobstructed. And I still didn't make it.

So yeah, the 'addict' trait seems like certain death about 5 minutes into the round. I'd imagine a more skilled player could have gotten further, but still...

So I propose making things a bit easier. Either make the withdrawal problems less instantly lethal , give a player starting with addict a slight delay before the addiction kicks in, give the addict a bottle of the drug as their trinket.
to this ^^

there should be a delay, definitely, but as far as I know it's all chance. i know some people have the addict trait constantly and it barely means anything
Addiction is a minor annoyance on LLJK2: vomiting and the odd slow/stun.
I imagine LLJK1 has it be a little nastier, a la motives system, or something
I just looked through the addictions.dm from 2016 code, and it makes no mention of sever Tox, Ox or brain damage. So either I had the WORST luck streak on getting repeatedly stunned by withdrawal, or something went funky.

Still would appreciate feedback.
Looks to me like a result of 1's motives system, because that system has a bunch of other unfun mechanics like alcohol dehydrating you, so this wouldn't seem too out of place there.
The motives system is basically an all-or-nothing thing. You wouldn't go into crit because of motives, you'd just flat-out die.

In fairness, I like them for what they are because they actually give you a reason to visit the bar/kitchen.
"Slight chance to relapse". Last time I used this trait every time I got rid of the god damn addiction, it would be right back.
(09-05-2017, 05:51 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: Looks to me like a result of 1's motives system, because that system has a bunch of other unfun mechanics like alcohol dehydrating you, so this wouldn't seem too out of place there.

Iirc, all my hydration/nurishment/etc were still in the green. I did get an out-of-nowhere O2 alert, and that was probably what did me in. 

Under what circumstances does the motivation system do that? And is that a bug or a (serious) feature?
Doesn't brewing meth cause you to be dosed with a fuckton of neurotoxin if you aren't wearing a gasmask?

That might be another chem.

At any rate, this kinda sounds like CO2 poisoning?
Maybe the trait could be changed to have more of a "addictive personality" style, making it more likely you'll develop addictions.

Starting addicts off with a syringe of their drug of choice as their trinket is a great idea.
Addict is one of my always-on traits because it makes me a veritable Vesuvius of vomit.

I've never had anything like this happen. Not even remotely. I just puke and get the occasional slowdown. To anyone who doesn't spend most of their time naked and drunk I imagine it might be annoying, but it's not the worst negative trait (it used to be) on the list.

On a side note, I always assumed the addiction was permanent. Hence why I always throw up all round.
(09-10-2017, 03:21 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: Doesn't brewing meth cause you to be dosed with a fuckton of neurotoxin if you aren't wearing a gasmask?

That might be another chem.

At any rate, this kinda sounds like CO2 poisoning?

As a recent bartender round can testify, this does indeed happen.

It's not enough to be lethal, but it does knock you out for a solid minute or two.

Making meth is hard.
Ah, yeah. It adds neurotoxin and toxin. Especially hurts if you have slow metabolism. A ling's sting will take you to crit with that trait.