Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Please for the love of god make harmbaton stun both, not just the batoner.
I understand that harmbatoning used to be a horrible issue and now it's just a meme but there's a bit too many times when I don't realise I'm on harm intent and I end up stunning myself and losing the entire fight, not because of something legit stupid I did but because of a honestly abhorrent noob trap of a mechanic that's designed to make a point everyone's already aware of.
Yes, it's hilarious. Especially if you're not the one with the baton. But if you have to use aggro intent for something OTHER than harmbatoning, especially if it involves kicking the shit out of them or slamming them with grabs, accidentaly harmbatoning someone is the cheapest way to turn the tides in a fight you should be on equeal terms with.
If you want to keep the meme and hilarity factor, make harmbaton stun both. It will completely even out the tides if it's only 1v1 situation and it'll still discourage people from being dumbass nerds trying to harm people with a non-lethal (generally) stun weapon.

maybe I'm just a dumb nerd who's being a salty asshole and I'm the only one who thinks like this but this is hardly fair game design let's be real here Banging head against the wall
I mean, everything else aside, it literally is fair. It works identically for everyone. That is fairness.

I totally get why it'd be frustrating, and I don't really get the mechanics of how slapping a guy too hard with a baton stuns the user, but I doubt yer gonna get it changed.
(09-03-2017, 01:50 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote: I don't really get the mechanics of how slapping a guy too hard with a baton stuns the user

Obviously when harm-batoning you turn the baton around to hit them with the much heavier battery+handle end instead of the light, forked prodding end.

If the baton is still on, this means you're grabbing the prod end while it's live. Yeouch!!
Accidental self-harmbatoning is a time honored station tradition.

It has saved my butt as a clown more times than I can remember.

This thread also seems really knee-jerky
(09-03-2017, 02:05 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 01:50 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote: I don't really get the mechanics of how slapping a guy too hard with a baton stuns the user

Obviously when harm-batoning you turn the baton around to hit them with the much heavier battery+handle end instead of the light, forked prodding end.

If the baton is still on, this means you're grabbing the prod end while it's live. Yeouch!!

Oh, OK, I think OBVIOUS overstates it but I guess that makes sense. I guess I just was picturing the stun batons are more like a retractable police baton than a cattle-prod. Good explanation though! smile
(09-03-2017, 02:29 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 02:05 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:

Oh, OK, I think OBVIOUS overstates it but I guess that makes sense.  I guess I just was picturing the stun batons are more like a retractable police baton than a cattle-prod.  Good explanation though! smile

It's not obvious at all, I was pulling that out of my arse
What would really fix this is the hambaton. Objectively speaking, of course. My personal preference would be the armbaton.

On a less serious note, selfstun makes things better gameplay-wise. But really I just like watching the fun situations that arise from this. Like one person getting self-stunned, only to have the other person pick up the baton and gloriously --- self-stun. Especially since individuals aren't unconscious so the conversations tend to be hilarious.
I've been saved so many times by harm-baton stuns in situations that seemed hopeless and it usually results in some hilarity. Police brutality can't be without risks on SS13.
(09-03-2017, 01:25 PM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: maybe I'm just a dumb nerd who's being a salty asshole and I'm the only one who thinks like this but this is hardly fair game design let's be real here Banging head against the wall

Also, I don't think your a dumb nerd OR a salty asshole, I think something just managed to really piss you off all of the sudden and you reacted to it. Nothing unusual. Hopefully some of these posts'll help you come around, man. smile
imagine if you harmbatonned you hit them so hard the baton bounces off them and hits you too, stunning you both
But...but...
It's a feature.

Just double check to make sure you're not on harm intent, or just push 1.
I imagine the harmbaton self-stun was added for the same reason clowns have been nerfed so badly, to counter people being shit with certain jobs. In which case I don't see any real need for it now.

It's not hard to keep a second stun source in the other hand and just switch between them with "e" so I really don't see it being because of a perceived balance issue.
I honestly don't see why we even need intents to be an issue with batons. Just make using an active baton on harm the same as any other intent, and make using an inactive baton always smack people with it instead of requiring harm intent. There, makes things less complex and fixes the issue.
(09-03-2017, 05:39 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: I honestly don't see why we even need intents to be an issue with batons. Just make using an active baton on harm the same as any other intent, and make using an inactive baton always smack people with it instead of requiring harm intent. There, makes things less complex and fixes the issue.

It's not an issue in the first place though.
The fact that it is basically a one-time, new player "gotcha" is KIND of an issue. I was lucky and got the message from the wiki, somehow, otherwise I would've been just as pissed as crystalwarrior that first time.