Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 4.53 Average
[Feature] GhostVR™ - Spectres plaguing your virtual realities!
I think I know why: it's because ghostdrones can actually actively screw with the crew, and if they had more information from the ghost chat they'd be able to do a lot more damage griff-wise before getting banned.
Hmm... Countersuggestion so everything is kosher and makes the most sense: There are two deadchats. There's the ghost deadchat, and the synthetic deadchat.

The ghost deadchat, would be literally for those who are currently ghosting/spectating, i.e: the current ghostchat. They can hear everything.

The synthetic deadchat is for those currently "alive", in the form of a drone or spectre. They can chat with each other (but obviously not other players), and can only hear whats on the radio/their own chat, with their in-character name appearing like so:

Sundance Feely (Dead: Ghostdrone Y-532): "I'm dead as shiiiiiiiiiiiit"
Moonboogie Touchy (Dead: Spectre #1): "I've also passed my expiry date"

This way you can identify players playing while dead (but not indentifying with the living) and speak to them, so you don't feel so ostracized when playing as one, because the silence/lack of speech is one of the main banes with these dudes. I also felt it's important to connect the two chats. I'd almost go so far as to see if, perhaps a patch later on, ghostdrones can interact with VR too. That way everything is tied together, rather than feeling like two seperate systems.

I realize I'm probably the only person that cares about this. butt
(09-08-2017, 05:00 AM)Sundance Wrote: Hmm... Countersuggestion so everything is kosher and makes the most sense: There are two deadchats. There's the ghost deadchat, and the synthetic deadchat.

is this not how it currently works though
(09-10-2017, 03:30 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 05:00 AM)Sundance Wrote: Hmm... Countersuggestion so everything is kosher and makes the most sense: There are two deadchats. There's the ghost deadchat, and the synthetic deadchat.

it is how it works
i am really sad that i miss out on cool ghost convos when i become a drone tho
(09-11-2017, 02:05 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:

it is how it works
i am really sad that i miss out on cool ghost convos when i become a drone tho

Yeah, I feel like I'm missing out whenever I go drone, there's usually very few other drones so dronechat is generally silent as the grave. In a game that's all about player interaction, I feel that turns people off the role. Allowing ghosts to chat to drones and VR specters would make the roles feel less empty, with the additional plus that ghosts can point out places needing repair to the drones.

Idk?? I can't read the code for this?

It's branching off how it currently works, which is why I suggested it. Currently ghostdrones speak to ghostdrones, ghosts speak to ghosts.
I'm suggesting when this is implimented to add that ghostdrones can speak both to ghostdrones but also spectres (if that's what we're calling them), and ghosts speak to ghosts.
Drones should either get ghost talk, or machine talk. Either they're players, or they're not.
At a certain point, theres so many possible channels to meta, theres so much that can be gleaned as a ghost and returned as information by cloning, chair divining, and ouija boarding. We rely on rules and common sense for people to not abuse those things. Just like you rely on asimov laws to keep silicons being silicon. If that's enough for an AI, it should be enough for a ghost drone. The blurred names and garbled talk is great for preventing kneejirk reactions, but they've still got radio receipt, and we just trust them not to recognise chatter and act on it. No reason we couldn't trust them to either coordinate with the AI / Borgs to keep the station in order, or to just have ghost chat to direct them to major breaches.
(09-13-2017, 11:13 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: Drones should either get ghost talk, or machine talk. Either they're players, or they're not.
At a certain point, theres so many possible channels to meta, theres so much that can be gleaned as a ghost and returned as information by cloning, chair divining, and ouija boarding. We rely on rules and common sense for people to not abuse those things. Just like you rely on asimov laws to keep silicons being silicon. If that's enough for an AI, it should be enough for a ghost drone. The blurred names and garbled talk is great for preventing kneejirk reactions, but they've still got radio receipt, and we just trust them not to recognise chatter and act on it. No reason we couldn't trust them to either coordinate with the AI / Borgs to keep the station in order, or to just have ghost chat to direct them to major breaches.

it's true, ghostdrone behavior works on the honor system like 99% of the time anyway. i don't see why letting them talk to the ghosts (who might know better where holes and shit actually are, the GHOSTDRONES' JOB) is bad
you could always pretend to fluff it as them picking up stuff on their ghostdroney sensor beeps
Seems like ghostdrone chat should be moved to suggestions for discussion. Sticking to the main point of this patch - im definitely for it. I would have a blast playing critter gauntlet as a ghost.
What if ghosts could also be critters in the gauntlet?
Would kinda defeat the point of it imo
Just stopping by to say that this is a amazing idea/patch and should be in the game.

(09-02-2017, 01:55 PM)New525 Wrote: This is long overdue
This is a neat idea. I hope this is something that ghosts actually use. Not only would this make players who want to use VR have someone else to play with, this would also give ghosts something to do if they wont ever be cloned for the round, besides being able to play as a ghost drone. Being a ghost drone isn't really that fun, you can build stuff or repair the station, but using the VR to play the gauntlet would be fantastic as a ghost.
imagine my surprise when i check out this neat patch and there are dudes posting ghostdrone chat suggestions in a topic that isnt in ideas and suggestions.

imagine that
patched in + added a hangout room to VR