Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Feature] New traits! (9 traits! More phobias!)
(08-31-2017, 07:29 AM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: [*]Matrix Flopout (-2) Flipping lets you dodge bullets and attacks for a higher stamina cost! [get half a second worth of dodge-window every *flip, every *flip costs 50 stamina. Obvious to others you have it when it says "tactical flip". Should it cost 3?]
[*]

I feel like the fact that it takes up a fourth of your stamina is a pretty noticeable affect.  It's useful if, one, you're reflexes are horrifyingly good or you're lucky with attacks, and two, someone doesn't spam whatever they're doing against you.

Considering how unlikely the two are to happen together, I think a cost of 2 is fine.  Other opinions would be good to hear though.

The Donk does a tactical flip.
The Donk just narrowly avoided getting hit by an RPG.
I very much like the flip, especially since I flip randomly in combat anyways to look more cool tactical. l33t li3k j3ff k  gon get shot watch out
Tactical flopout requires many things to go right to be even remotely useful, so hopefully?? that balances it out.
What do you guys think on other traits, though? I noticed most of these are positive traits and I haven't even started adding any negatives yet!
tactical flip sounds good, and i assume it doesnt, but will fliptonium have any kind of effect?

also i think jailbird should give at least 1 cause beepsky sucks. but then again people can just join and yell at someone to take them off arrest.

glass cannon seems interesting. while it might be good for anyone with any kind of stun, it's also really bad for anyone getting stunned, or even punched. idk if it should be -2.

the rest look great
It WAS -2 but it was removed from what little "trait history" I read up.
So yeah, just let me know when I can merge this.
Going to just quote some posts from other threads that are better at articulating what I think:

(05-28-2015, 02:43 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I like positive ones that have small little perks, like cat-eyes because it's not overly powerful, doesn't change too much how other people engage you.

(05-28-2015, 09:01 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: personally, I really do come on the side of traits being cosmetic more than anything else. "traits" feel like they should just be fun bonus junk, not essentially changing how you play the game

(05-28-2015, 10:29 PM)Dauntasa Wrote: I mean, I may very well be alone in thinking this, but in my mind one of the things that makes SS13 entertaining is that everything starts off relatively normal each round. The entertainment value comes from the ways in which everything devolves into chaos. If you see a fat ant-man with robot arms there's a story behind it. Something happened to that dude over the course of the round. It loses a lot of its impact if the story is just "he set the 'fat' and 'ant' traits in his profile at the start of the game". If the round starts off as a clusterfuck it's not funny. So yeah, in my opinion minor shit like cat eyes is just fine, but the other stuff I don't really like.

I mainly have an issue with the first four (Glass Canon especially), since combat is so common, and having an advantage in things like damage, health, or stamina (even if they're supposedly balanced by negatives) can be very OP. I also don't want to deal with people who will figure out how to game these traits (which will definitely happen).
The thing is you are absolutely required to have a negative trait to even get one of the positives, though I completely understand your concern.

However, most of these traits only affect hand to hand combat save for athletic and glass cannon - these two might need to be rethought possibly?

I should add some major and minor negatives as well like phobias and other things

EDIT: Another alternative I could consider is to remove the starting point altogether, so if you want ANY positive trait you have to have a negative trait accompanying it?

(09-01-2017, 04:21 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: So yeah, just let me know when I can merge this.

This is merge-ready, I'll do trait icons in a separate patch
(09-02-2017, 12:53 AM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: The thing is you are absolutely required to have a negative trait to even get one of the positives, though I completely understand your concern.

However, most of these traits only affect hand to hand combat save for athletic and glass cannon - these two might need to be rethought possibly?

I should add some major and minor negatives as well like phobias and other things

EDIT: Another alternative I could consider is to remove the starting point altogether, so if you want ANY positive trait you have to have a negative trait accompanying it?

Yeah, I know how the point system works, but it still seems like a balancing game and doesn't really go with the spirit of the other traits. It doesn't seem fun or right if some guy gets one of these traits at round start just because he clicked a couple things in the character setup menu. Hand to hand combat is still a really big part of all combat, and I don't think Meathead or Big Bruiser really reflect that with the benefits they'd provide and how easy it would be to get them (again, at round start).
I personally like traits that directly effect how you play the game and how others have to approach you