Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cross-round blueprints
lagg wants persistent shit what a surprise

I think it'd be hella tight if there was some way to save ABC-U blueprints to some kind of database to be used in other rounds. Something to make it faster and easier to set up a bar in the jazz lounge before the shuttle arrives, or a nerdtastic mechcomp abomination in no time at all.

Maybe also have a "renovation" mode that adds or modifies furniture to a room without messing with the structure, or requiring open space, I dunno, I don't really know how the ABC-U works exactly.

Would also make me feel less of an ass for trashing someone's lovingly crafted yet unbelievably​ annoying renovation / contraption.

Couple considerations are with where these are stored, *how* these are stored, how many of these you can store, and how to keep smartasses from filling the station with cubes of walls and printers.
(08-27-2017, 07:31 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Would also make me feel less of an ass for trashing someone's lovingly crafted yet unbelievably annoying renovation / contraption.

It would also make it infinitely easier to create these unbelievably annoying contraptions.
only if things like crushers or fancy machines cant be copied over, to prevent traitor bullshit like 'oh i scanned 14 crushers in a box and now it is escape!'

idr how the ABCU works.

to store them, have it print out a code which you can write down and import later probably.

"anyone know how i can make a bar easy?"

"yeah: 55345GS897199GASGH7AJRE7"
(08-27-2017, 09:42 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: only if things like crushers or fancy machines cant be copied over, to prevent traitor bullshit like 'oh i scanned 14 crushers in a box and now it is escape!'

Anything the traitor reverse engineering scanner can copy that the regular scanner can't.
(08-27-2017, 09:42 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: only if things like crushers or fancy machines cant be copied over, to prevent traitor bullshit like 'oh i scanned 14 crushers in a box and now it is escape!'

Well that's a simple fix.  Anytime a traitor tries to upload a blueprint that requires something only traitors can scan, they get a message that says something like

"Hello, I see you're trying to create a blueprint for a room.  However, it appears to have some potentially harmful equipment in it.  Would you like some help with making your room more safe?"

Bonus points if Clippy shows up for literally no reason

idr how the ABCU works.

to store them, have it print out a code which you can write down and import later probably.

"anyone know how i can make a bar easy?"

"yeah: 55345GS897199GASGH7AJRE7"

Yes, make it print out a seed and give it the ability to load seeds. Theorically, you should be able to make some hell-space with a completely random seed.
That's not quite how seeds work... the output number would have to contain all of the information about the blueprint. Given the sheer number of variables involved in some areas, the saved blueprint would almost certainly not be able to be expressed as any useful-length string.
(08-28-2017, 07:27 AM)Mordent Wrote: That's not quite how seeds work... the output number would have to contain all of the information about the blueprint. Given the sheer number of variables involved in some areas, the saved blueprint would almost certainly not be able to be expressed as any useful-length string.

What's that one thing.. library of babel? Contains every word and every sentence, just have to know where to start reading. Imagine an ABCU of Babel c:
(08-28-2017, 09:02 AM)Prichard Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 07:27 AM)Mordent Wrote: That's not quite how seeds work... the output number would have to contain all of the information about the blueprint. Given the sheer number of variables involved in some areas, the saved blueprint would almost certainly not be able to be expressed as any useful-length string.

What's that one thing.. library of babel? Contains every word and every sentence, just have to know where to start reading. Imagine an ABCU of Babel c:

Yeah let's casually request procedurally generated SS13 rooms. 
Wait that sounds amazing.
Procedural Z-level for telesci nerds who've seen it all.
(08-28-2017, 10:13 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 09:02 AM)Prichard Wrote:

Yeah let's casually request procedurally generated SS13 rooms. 
Wait that sounds amazing.
Procedural Z-level for telesci nerds who've seen it all.

How to make the coders lose their minds 101. 

Although if this was done it would be amazing.
ABC-U blueprints are already persistent, by the way.

I save and load mine all the time.
(08-28-2017, 03:40 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: ABC-U blueprints are already persistent, by the way.

I save and load mine all the time.

... oh
SO YOU'RE SAYING
IT'S SUCH A GOOD FEATURE
THAT IT'S ALREADY IN THE GAME!?!
Marvelous.

I think if this has highlighted anything, it's that almost no one has any idea how to use those damn things.
New idea :
put a piece of paper on the ABC-U telling us how to use it.
unless that's already there, in which case make it aggro.
New feature: replace the ABC-U with one that I know what it does.

Also, does it need exposed space tiles to work? That's what the wiki says. Can it be used to just place or replace furniture? Cus it'd be great to have a rapid redecoration device.

Unless it already does that. Maybe I should ask questions about things before charging in demanding changes to things that are already the thing I want it changed to.