HoS Application: Bernard Black/Bassism
Usual Character Name: Bernard Black
BYOND Username: Bassism
Recommended by (if applicable): not applicable, foo!
Times Available: Typically evening/late EST, weekends. I try to get a round or two in every few days, then occasionally binge on SS13 for hours on end when I feel like it

Reason for Application (300 word minimum):

I have been playing SS13 for years now (actually, just checked on the BYOND site, and I'm coming up on 3 years, wow...) I am experienced in and enjoy a wide variety of roles on the station. Often, I leave no preference set and just see what position I end up with and run with it. Lately, that means I'm engineer all the damn time, but that's another story.... Ultimately, I'm a big fan of all that the game has to offer. So my first reason for wanting to be HoS simply stems from wanting access to another facet of the game. The fact that HoS has exclusive access to a few rooms on the station is somehow appealing to me. I also enjoy playing heads, as it opens up a few new bits of gameplay (legitimate access to upload, bridge access, more common traitor ambushes, shuttle duty, order giving, etc.) It's also the one check in place when the captain gets out of line. I'm reminded of a recent round where the captain gave the order to kill all of engineering/medical. As a dutiful security officer I followed orders (let's face it, murder sprees are fun when you haven't had an antag round in a while), but as HoS I would have overridden the captain's craziness and kept more people in the game. I also want the guns.

Security is probably the most important job on the station. They are the ones who have the power to curtail griefing when and where it happens. But with great power comes great responsibility, and that's where it starts to get complicated. It's easy for a security officer to ruin a game just as effectively as the worst griefer. Ideally, the HoS can help to ensure that security officers aren't abusing their power, which keeps the game fun for as many players as possible. In my playing recently, I've noticed that there aren't very many people playing security and those that do often don't enjoy the position. HoS seems to be incredibly rare these days. It is my hope that a reasonable, enthusiastic, and organized HoS can make the security position more fun in general, which should trickle down to the rest of the players. HoS is also an asset to have when things turn ugly on the station. Somebody able to dole out the big guns and get people to use them effectively could result in less pointless deaths to <insert space monster here>. They also get cool hats.

I have also wanted to become a mentor for quite some time. I suppose it's not terribly relevant to an HoS application, but I figured I'd mention it, since it's kind of like getting a two for one. I know at least the basics of every job on the station, and can help with more in depth knowledge on quite a few. In online games I always love to help others gain the skill and knowledge to play the game better, because it makes for a more fun game for all. I think I could offer advice for most anything asked over the mentor channel, and would like to start giving something back to this game I've spent so many hours playing over the years.

Security Experience (300 word minimum):
Way back when I often played the detective. This was mostly to look cool while drinking and smoking, but eventually I started to take on a more active role and finally decided to start playing security as well. I don't play security all too often these days (see above note about not usually picking job prefs) but I always enjoy it when I get thrown in the ring. I'm not especially robust. I can win a fight, but there are plenty of players around who could kick my ass without even trying. So I try to play security with that in mind, trying not to antagonize the antagonists. I think it's better that way, anyway. One way of dealing with a crime is to brig the player in question, then let him out. But I think there are more fun ways to go about it. It's far more fun for everybody involved to sit a criminal down, question them, give them a stern warning or make a deal, then send them off with a warning. If I catch someone stealing, I'll confiscate the item, maybe give them a fine, then send them on their way. Once they get to their second or third offence, or if there's undeniable evidence to support murder or some other heinous crime, then brig time is justified. But even then, I'll stick around and taunt them, keep an eye on them, etc. Ultimately, nobody should have to sit out with nothing at all to do. A long brig sentence is worse than death in my opinion. At least in death you can ghost around and chat with other ghosts. Alone in a cell you've got nothing at all to do. To me, security is about finding fun ways to deal with criminals. The threat of the brig alone should be enough to deter people from running around murdering people unless they're supposed to be. If they are supposed to be, then it doesn't make sense to punish them (as a player, not character) for that. While the brig is certainly necessary at times, I try to avoid it where possible, in the interest of fun.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):

When I first saw the new security setup, I was mighty impressed. In the time between my last bout of playing and the current one, things have gotten much better. I like that the brig is filled with enough stuff to keep somebody relatively entertained over their sentence. I also love that someone with a few tools on their person or a willing accomplice can easily escape. I like that the different areas are separated by id locked doors, but there is ample space in each area. It allows for some hijinks to happen, which is a good thing. The interrogation room is a really cool idea, and I'd like to see it used more often (along with a return of the courtroom). I'm not really sure how I would change the layout to be honest. I like the central hub-ishness of the current main room, and it could be nice to see that expanded on, with a more circular/balanced layout giving sec/antags alike more options for chasing/running/ambushing, but I can't think of a good way to do so on the current map, so I'll just say it's all good as is.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): To be honest, I don't remember much at all about it. I remember watching it in auto class during high school for some reason, and not really enjoying it. I'm really biased against any CGI movies that aren't Pixar though, and pretty much think they're all terribly, so I might not be the best person to ask.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): I've never received a ban. (If I'm lying, then it would have been years ago, I don't remember it, I've matured as a player since then, and it shouldn't be a black mark, because if you hooked me up to a lie detector I would pass since I don't remember it).