Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Port-A-Gene
I just played another traitor round as geneticist and have come to the same conclusion Ive made quite a few times.  Its very underwhelming when compared to some other traitor round archetypes like mercpenning, emagging a hypo, spacker rampaging. While you can make a few peoples rounds living hell its limited to those few people and once they realize what happening shutting down a traitor geneticist is incredibly simple and this stems from one problem. They only have one place they prepare and refill injectors at and it an be disabled by simply turning the power off. This is in my experience the biggest issue making traitor as a geneticist feel weak. This problem could be solved by adding more dangerous genes or lowering the cooldowns on making injectors but i think theres a simpler way. Modify and readd the port-a-gene. Now there were obvious issues with it originally and those could be solved in two ways

1. Make it a traitor item that you can wear in your eye slot or glove slot and make shaking or examining your target load their genes into the machine as if they were scanned. Then you should be able to take the item off and click it to bring up the normal genetics console menu with all normal abilities intact. This would allow a traitor to operate and slowly corrupt the crew without ever setting foot in genetics.

2. Add it in as it was originally but remove the ability to make injectors or activators without it being emagged.
PDA cartridge, like the Detomax? Condense all the functionality into an object that's already there?

I think your general idea makes a lot of sense.
I'd support it coming back as a traitor item in a variant of it's original form, not too keen on the whole portable thing. A big bulky thing that has to be dragged around and you can toss and lock people inside is just way more fun to play around than any minigene thing you could think of.

I do not support its return as a non-traitor item, in any shape or form.
A portable genetics lab sounds interesting enough to try out, and has my support. It should probably be a handheld item that can fit in a backpack or belt (but not pockets without a stealth storage) to keep it from being something you can ferret out just by looking at a geneticist's equipment or their PDA.

Either that or have it be a huge conspicuous bulky thing that makes a lot of noise while activating every disability and accent automatically, and can be dragged around.
Either a big bulky device that, as mentioned, gives the person you put into it just about every nasty thing imaginable (or that you load activators into -ACTIVATORS- which it then magically applies to anyone you put in it, whether they could normally have that stuff activated or not)...

Or what about a chameleon-bomb disguising device you load ONE INJECTOR into that then gives that mutation to anyone that comes within X tiles of it... unless they're wearing the special genetics jumpsuit you get along with it? Would that be interesting?
(08-18-2017, 08:45 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote: Either a big bulky device that, as mentioned, gives the person you put into it just about every nasty thing imaginable (or that you load activators into -ACTIVATORS- which it then magically applies to anyone you put in it, whether they could normally have that stuff activated or not)...

Or what about a chameleon-bomb disguising device you load ONE INJECTOR into that then gives that mutation to anyone that comes within X tiles of it... unless they're wearing the special genetics jumpsuit you get along with it?  Would that be interesting?

Gene Grenades box. 
like the tactical nades, comes with an assortment of grenades that apply a shitty mutation to people caught in it.
I think, it being a traitor item and a very obvious one at that, it needs to be both pretty useful and pretty deadly for poor sap that gets thrown into it.

It being able to make activators that work for anyone would be great, as the geneticist could see who had a desirable gene, hunt them down, stuff them inside, and steal that for themselves.

Maybe doing this hits the victim with a ton of radiation, or just turns them into one of those blob monsters/a meatcube
(08-18-2017, 09:29 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 08:45 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote: Either a big bulky device that, as mentioned, gives the person you put into it just about every nasty thing imaginable (or that you load activators into -ACTIVATORS- which it then magically applies to anyone you put in it, whether they could normally have that stuff activated or not)...

Or what about a chameleon-bomb disguising device you load ONE INJECTOR into that then gives that mutation to anyone that comes within X tiles of it... unless they're wearing the special genetics jumpsuit you get along with it?  Would that be interesting?

Gene Grenades box. 
like the tactical nades, comes with an assortment of grenades that apply a shitty mutation to people caught in it.

Hey, nice. Maybe they come preloaded with a shitty cocktail, like... I dunno... deafness, Gyrus Alteration-BT, Motor-Neuron and Narcolepsy, for example, and you can click an INJECTOR on one to also add that.

This idea seems to my (ignorant) eye to fall into a pretty sweet spot of fun, useful, and relatively easy to implement?

EDIT: Honestly, Mutagenic Field grenades would probably get the job done, too, after an extra 2 seconds of thinking. Although the more mutations WHATEVER item adds, the harder it is to undo it with mutadone.

EDIT2: I didn't comprehend Frank_Stein's post as much as I thought I had, he raises an interesting idea... do we want an item that makes it easier to mess other people's genes up, or an item that makes it easier to turn yourself into an ultra-robust superhuman, or both?
Heres another simpler idea. Give speed injectors three uses
(08-18-2017, 12:08 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote: EDIT2: I didn't comprehend Frank_Stein's post as much as I thought I had, he raises an interesting idea... do we want an item that makes it easier to mess other people's genes up, or an item that makes it easier to turn yourself into an ultra-robust superhuman, or both?

What I mean is, a transportable pod that let's you make what's basically an injector from the latent mutations in someone's DNA.

Doing so would give them a bad dose of radiation, or just immediately turn them into a mutant freak, provided that's still in the code.

I lean towards the latter because it would mean you only get one injector per person, which you could use to take a nasty disabilty to inject someone with or a power to give yourself
Should it cluwne 'em? It's a fix-able state (other than not getting your name back) that only really gets used for wizards, and seems like a good way to represent every single tiny useful gene getting sucked out.
port-a-puke reskin except it turns people into those cronenberg monsters
(08-19-2017, 03:03 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: port-a-puke reskin except it turns people into those cronenberg monsters

I think it'd be FUN, but I also think it'd be cooler if it wasn't basically *just* a re-skin.
For the sake of convenience, it could be a temporary re-skin and then make something later.
There's one specific gene that trumps every other gene for speed injectors for several reasons. I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out which. That being said, I support the version that gives X gene to everyone within Y radius.