Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Any chance of Securi-borgs making a return?
Information 
Now, I wasn't playing when they were implemented and then removed, but I came upon the description for their removed module. I understand why Atmos and stuff was removed, that doesn't make much sense anymore.

HOWEVER

i feel like they should make a return in some way. I feel like the station lacks some sort of control *cough cough* in dealing with things like nukeops and just general traitors, other than security getting drunk on pure ethanol or vigilantes armed with toolboxes and/or chairs.

It should still be explained that this is double edged, as it makes them a target for traitors and what-not, but I feel they NEED another target other than just OneHuman-ing the AI or whatever they do.

I also read that the reason they were removed was abuse, and that makes sense. SO, without trying to make adminning a round an even harder shitshow than it can sometimes end up being, maybe only allowing the M.D. to make them or some sort of similar ranking. Or maybe even having to make the security module some other way, like not with the Rewriter. Maybe it has to be built.

I dunno, I'm ranting. Anyone else wanna chime in their opinions?
God I hope not.
brobocops are going to be a thing in the eventual borg patch
(08-16-2017, 04:17 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: brobocops are going to be a thing in the eventual borg patch

That patch better come out, gotta put whatever evil death spirt that cursed it to rest.
Bring them back as a module only selectable by HoS players.

Or make them more of a support role for Sec players, where their abilities are things that would help Sec officers be more efficient

OR just have the neutered version that's in the much fabled borg patch where it's just a part of the brobot module
Borgs have no problems being securibots as it is.  Adding tools specifically to make it easier to grief will get a lot of people saying "I can taze you cause it's not TECHNICALLY harming you".

Not to mention how fucking easy it is to keep a person down when the power to a taze stick comes straight from a borg (I got this from an admin on ass day.  Five people died without being able to fight back.  It's horrifyingly abuseable.).  It gives borgs a horrifyingly easy way to kill people if they're subverted.

No.
Even if you couldn't subvert them, even if they didn't have potent (or any) sec tools, even if the module was restricted - they'd still be a nigh-unstoppable font of grief. This is coming from somebody who thinks most people overreact when they're mentioned.

The most this server could handle is probably something like a human-brained securitron with tools that have limited use and recharge slowly.

Or, you know, a head subverting their laws and telling them to go after criminals. Hootingium and Flashpowder are a couple clicks these days.
Sounds fucking awful, secborgs on other stations are universally shit, there's no way to fight them if you're unprepared as they are usually much faster than you.
yes to big borg patch one, no to the old one. basically what technature said, borgs are okay enough at fighting crime right now. locker and welder is best arrest
Wait, what's this about a borg patch?
(08-17-2017, 02:13 AM)UmbraDrake Wrote: Wait, what's this about a borg patch?

https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid...#pid100945

thats the summary. long story short, noah the code god was making a patch until the curse of goonstation kicked in and he got shot, decided not to continue but I think atamus is continuing it? i forget
(08-17-2017, 02:45 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote:

thats the summary. long story short, noah the code god was making a patch until the curse of goonstation kicked in and he got shot, decided not to continue but I think atamus is continuing it? i forget

I like the look of it to be honest. Will see what happens!

It's actually amaranthineapocalypse that's working on it now.
(08-17-2017, 05:07 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:

It's actually amaranthineapocalypse that's working on it now.

Paging amaranthineapocalypse. Anyway, i'm cringing at some of these responses.

Locker and welder? Great so you want to permabrig people?
Hoot + flash powder? You do know that this was changed so cyborgs are effected by them, because certain players were being powergamey as fuck?

Secborgs are not a bad idea, it's always down to the how it's implimented.

The brobocop is a good example of a secbot. Why? Because it literally has 0 offensive abilities, it would actually function worse if it was one-humaned over the other modules, due to lack of the aforementioned offense. It has a wifflebat, which if you recall back to your childhood, is a neon colored foam bat. Good luck beating someone to death with something that has no damage.

It all boils down to this, Noah and I saw eye to eye on this and noted that a secbot has particularly terrible and salty connotations. Brobocop would be it's slightly more piss stained cousin, who aids existing security, but for the most part cannot act as security due to the plethora of law conflicts that would arise. You need only look at their tools to get an idea of what was had in mind.
(08-17-2017, 07:01 AM)Sundance Wrote: Locker and welder? Great so you want to permabrig people?
Hoot + flash powder? You do know that this was changed so cyborgs are effected by them, because certain players were being powergamey as fuck?

Well obviously it's a temporary thing.  Last night, the cyborg team was really damn efficient (including myself) to the point that we were keeping an eye out for a fire bomber.  I was lucky enough to see it in action, so I chased the bad guy to the back of the kitchen and bolted him down.  Eventually the other cyborg came in and, after a lot of trouble, we managed to lock him in a locker and get him to the brig for security the heads of the station to deal with him.

If anyone's playing securibot, that's pretty much how it should go.  If you're permawelding/locking people into lockers and leaving them alone, you deserve to be shot by them when they inevitably flip break out.