Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Don't show achievement gains until the end of the round
Brick 
This is kind of a minor thing but certain achievements will spoil some stuff that really shouldn't be, eg, the one for turning on a c-saber for the first time.
the most common case of this is c sabers which aren't subtle anyway, and if anyone does anything remotely because of an achievement, thats insane metagaming and insanely against the rules. worst ive ever got because of medal notices was the c saber one and one guy went "oh a c saber" and all he got was "shut the fuck up"
You can hear a C-Saber turn on almost anywhere on the station since sounds echo. I get where your coming from but since both the popup and the activation of the C-saber happen at the same time and we can clearly hear it. I don't see this as a issue since we get in-game knowledge next to the out of context popup as well. C-Saber is a poor example for this topic but anything else is metagaming and they would be yelled at by players or admins almost instantly.
I think it's only an issue if:

1.People notice the achievement. Considering anyone is busy doing their own thing at any one time, this takes some effort.
2.People are aware of the achievement and how to get it. If you know that turning on a c-saber gets you an achievement, or that Dying gets an achievement, it's possible to take advantage of it.
3.The achievement is repeatable. You get an achievement for joining the game. If this happened, the Chat Box would be SOOOOO cluttered with random actions. Naturally, this isn't an issue.
4.The playerbase is fine with people taking advantage of such information. I don't think we need to go any further than:
(08-15-2017, 09:22 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: worst ive ever got because of medal notices was the c saber one and one guy went "oh a c saber" and all he got was "shut the fuck up"

This isn't really an issue, so I think a change would be unnecessary.
This change only has upsides IMO. Go for it.
(08-16-2017, 07:16 AM)Dabir Wrote: This change only has upsides IMO. Go for it.

This.

I understand that many of you hail from two perspectives; that it simply isn't really worth the effort to change it AND we can police ourselves.
But if the change is easy to do (I don't know, hence this is a question) and reduces peoples ability to metagame then I say why not?

I think the above example of the worst they dealt with (it being the person stating the c saber aloud) is poor reasoning. When people really metagame, they often do so silently.
Demonstrably, goons can't police themselves, or we wouldn't have a need for a hidden exploit report forum.
Fair enough. If it doesn't take much effort, the change is reasonable.
(08-16-2017, 09:49 AM)Berrik Wrote: Demonstrably, goons can't police themselves, or we wouldn't have a need for a hidden exploit report forum.

i want to know how many posts go in there, because i doubt it's a lot. most bugs get put in the public thing anyway.

but yes you guys are right, if its no effort, might as well
There are very few benefits to actually implementing this simply because medals aren't repeatable.

There is, however, a significant downside in that separating the medal message from the action that actually earned it makes it much more difficult to understand *why* you got that medal.

It makes medals even more meaningless than they already are since you'd have no real way of associating a particular medal with a particular feat you performed.

Overall, this seems like a problematic solution for a nonexistent issue.
(08-16-2017, 12:45 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 09:49 AM)Berrik Wrote: Demonstrably, goons can't police themselves, or we wouldn't have a need for a hidden exploit report forum.

i want to know how many posts go in there, because i doubt it's a lot. most bugs get put in the public thing anyway.

You'd be surprised. When Wonk was messing around with the mentor forum role, I was the test dummy and had to see if I had access to places I shouldn't. Exploits was one of them, and IIRC it had quite a bit more than you'd expect.

I didn't read into any of them because that'd be a shit thing to do.

As for the medal thing, I haven't really heard of anyone using medals for meta purposes. You only get to see a ckey, and even if the c-saber medal came around you'd only know the general roundtype. Traitor, nuke ops, mixed, admin shenanigans, etc.
(08-16-2017, 01:32 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: There are very few benefits to actually implementing this simply because medals aren't repeatable.

There is, however, a significant downside in that separating the medal message from the action that actually earned it makes it much more difficult to understand *why* you got that medal.

It makes medals even more meaningless than they already are since you'd have no real way of associating a particular medal with a particular feat you performed.

Overall, this seems like a problematic solution for a nonexistent issue.

An alternative to this would to just have the medal show only to the person who receives it, and then maybe a list of medals received at the end of the round.
(08-16-2017, 12:45 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:

I've reported maybe two bugs that would give you an unfair advantage. I think both have been patched out at this point, but they existed for awhile after reporting them
One benefit of not changing it is the FISH medal. I have and i seen other people help out anyone who joins the server for the first time, using the fish medal as a clue as who it is, Mentorhelp is only useful if you know it exists
(08-17-2017, 11:05 AM)pizzatiger Wrote: One benefit of not changing it is the FISH medal. I have and i seen other people help out anyone who joins the server for the first time, using the fish medal as a clue as who it is, Mentorhelp is only useful if you know it exists

That plus we know who to greet with the traditional fart in the face and subsequent owlgib