Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Syndicate VIP Event Discussion/Mentor DMing
So i have just completed running the event i had planned in the mentor DMing subforum and i would like to think it went reasonably well!

The concept is pretty simple: Round type gets set to extended, volunteers are asked to come forward and some of them are picked as hardmode traitors. These hardmode traitors are then told that they can order literally anything within admin capabilites as their traitor items within the limit of the telecrystals they had. Then chaos is allowed to unfold.

In practice it didn't quite end up going like that, mostly for reasons pertaining to me being really nervous about running it, i was kinda vague about the "literally anything" thing, resulting in most of the traitors thinking it was limited to just what could be bought from the combined syndicate buylists, which resulted in some admittedly interesting combinations of traitor items (notably power gloves, a syndicate cargo teleporter and a faustian bargain kit) but not the utter chaos i was expecting. The telecrystals also ended up feeling slightly arbitrary, likely because set numbers weren't really assigned while we were in the middle of things, again due to being overcautious and not wanting to wall myself in, though i did originally intend to follow those a bit more stringently originally. It also took quite a while to set up due to my copy and paste shortcuts being on the fritz and not functioning properly. I also probably should have taken all the traitors aside before roundstart, but i didn't want to keep everyone else waiting too long while i did so.

At any rate i had a lot of fun anyway by the end of it all, i was feeling significantly less nervous about it, and i'd like to try running it again some other time without making so many mistakes so feel free to use this thread to discuss possible admin-powered traitor builds too.

As far as advice for other mentors looking to run their own events goes? First things first, don't do what i did, take the people involved aside properly and talk to them about it properly, let them ask questions before you start and it'll go a lot smoother. If at all possible, also try not to be as nervous as i was when i started. I hope to see quite a few events starting to pop up now that I've opened the metaphorical floodgates.
If possible, see about asking for volunteers in deadchat in the previous round. That would give you plenty of time to explain the event.
Also, I wouldn't mind a little more 'word of god' during the event, so it feels a little more admin-bus and a little less confusion
Tbh if I was allowed to ask for anything I would ask to become a b-ball wizard, if they are in the code.