Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup experimental generators
The station should start with one of those backup generators the QM can (but never, ever) order. Maybe put it in the CE's office or one of the emergency storages.

Also, they should be able to act as an APC for rooms that don't have one, for instance if the room's APC has been vaporized by some smartass. Or maybe give power to everything within line of sight, or be able to power things through cables. Unless they already do this, but last time I tried to power an intact-but-deAPCitated Clonery with an egen it didn't work.
Little known fact: the ABC-U [Image: ABC-U.png] can be used to build APCs from scratch.
(08-09-2017, 09:30 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Little known fact: the ABC-U [Image: ABC-U.png] can be used to build APCs from scratch.

Do I have to make a blueprint of the room first? Also, how's it work?
(08-09-2017, 09:30 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Little known fact: the ABC-U [Image: ABC-U.png] can be used to build APCs from scratch.

Little known fact: Those things exist and do things.

Seriously I have no idea how to use that thing.
ABCU use: https://wiki.ss13.co/Construction#Entire_Rooms

They wont build terminals though, and you'll have to RCD the floor in order to build. It might be easier just to repair busted APCs https://wiki.ss13.co/Construction#Fixing_bombed_APCs
seems like a good way to make those generators used more. also happy birth for the other day superlagg, unless your forum account is lies
You only need to scan the tile an APC is on and you can duplicate that tile anywhere. It will link the APC to the area automatically. Sorry, but you are incorrect, Zoidcrab. I was also referring to building APCs that have been destroyed to the point that no sprite is present anymore: nothing available to be fixed in the traditional way.
(08-09-2017, 09:37 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: seems like a good way to make those generators used more. also happy birth for the other day superlagg, unless your forum account is lies

Must've missed a number in there, totally actually on the 28th, my bad, but thanks!

(08-10-2017, 04:58 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: You only need to scan the tile an APC is on and you can duplicate that tile anywhere. It will link the APC to the area automatically. Sorry, but you are incorrect, Zoidcrab. I was also referring to building APCs that have been destroyed to the point that no sprite is present anymore: nothing available to be fixed in the traditional way.

So what you're saying is that an APC's location defines what it powers, and that rooms have a sort of "energy district" that defines everything in that district as powered by the APC within that district? Far out!

Then maybe it'd be a great idea to make the portable generators essentially portable APCs. Unless they already do that, which may be the case, since yesterday I managed to use one to power the bridge after the AI turned off it's APC... or it just ran out of power since the engine wasn't on.
(08-10-2017, 04:58 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: You only need to scan the tile an APC is on and you can duplicate that tile anywhere. It will link the APC to the area automatically. Sorry, but you are incorrect, Zoidcrab. I was also referring to building APCs that have been destroyed to the point that no sprite is present anymore: nothing available to be fixed in the traditional way.

I mean if you want it to charge from the power grid you need a terminal under it right?
As far as I know that's exactly how it works, it's /area bound. Place it in an area, such as the bridge, it will detect the area and will distribute power. Whether it goes through the APC or whether it just acts as an APC i'm not 100% too sure. This seems to be also why new constructions in space such as doors/lights/computers are magically powered as they're not bound to anything. Personally i'd like to see constructable APC's that aren't weird like APC-U's but magic power is ok too I guess, for the effort construction takes already.

As for the post, I'm not fond of getting things that you should pay for and giving it to the crewmember. Quite the opposite, I feel like we should be paying for more things, not less. Another topic for another day I guess.

The price of the back up experimental generator needs to be lowered signficantly, I will say that. 3000-4000 at most as it can only offer power to one room at a time, and at a cost of using resources. Sure it can charge batteries, but to put those batteries into an APC you need to be an engineer and if you are one you have access to a ton of batteries already + you can hack into robotics. It's just not worth that cost.
To add to your last point, Sundance: one also needs access to plasma tanks to power the generator.
Interesting! I'm gonna have to test that out and see just how it ticks.

(08-10-2017, 11:44 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: To add to your last point, Sundance: one also needs access to plasma tanks to power the generator.

Plasma tanks are everywhere. Just pop open a pod, break into Engineering or Toxins, or throw some cash at whatshisname in the debris field.
make the sing gear less preposterously overpriced if u want it bought

or do u mean the lil one that takes lil orange plasma tanks
Yeah, it'd be nice if there were something that could repower rooms with evaporated APCs.
(08-18-2017, 02:51 PM)misto Wrote: make the sing gear less preposterously overpriced if u want it bought

or do u mean the lil one that takes lil orange plasma tanks

lil ones with plasma tanks. they work pretty well from memory but the idea of this thread now seems to be a way to fix disappeared APC's (flourish stole the word evaporated)