Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
make getting caught in a closing airlock have a chance to remove a limb
This happens IRL sometimes even with non powered big doors, much less these hydraulic rube goldeberg contraptions NT got from the lowest bidder. And they can already crush heads no problem.
It can be devastating enough for the RNG to decree that you take hefty brute and a stun for standing in a door and getting unlucky. If limb loss was added then the door should have to be hacked in order to crush at all, since random limb loss =/= good mechanics. Overall bad idea imo.
yeah like i haven't been fucked over by doors enough
Let's make the already terrible door crushing mechanic even worse! Woo!
(08-08-2017, 07:31 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Let's make the already terrible door crushing mechanic even worse! Woo!

Let's just make it insta-gib whoever is unlucky enough to be crushed! At this point, the amount of salt will be high enough to replace a S in SS13 with Salt.
I agree with the idea that doors should have to be hacked in order to crush people, make it a deliberate thing that at least antags or subverted AIs can get some use out of.
Idea: Add a gas canister to doors making them open and close with pneumatic pressure. Getting a door to close hard enough to maim should require building up the pressure of those canisters, either by swapping them with higher pressure ones or heating the gasses up in the existing one.

This could create the effect of hallway fires accidentally making the doors more dangerous in an area, making the station more of a design oversight deathtrap
(08-08-2017, 10:00 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Idea: Add a gas canister to doors making them open and close with pneumatic pressure. Getting a door to close hard enough to maim should require building up the pressure of those canisters, either by swapping them with higher pressure ones or heating the gasses up in the existing one.

This could create the effect of hallway fires accidentally making the doors more dangerous in an area, making the station more of a design oversight deathtrap

Maybe AI can tamper with them somehow? Rogue AI's chopping your limbs off & electrifying you with doors at the same time! FREEDOM TO SILICONS! SO ANGRY
There was a long and salty thread about this before. While I don't agree with rng door damage (and by proxy, especially limb removal) I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater, I feel this would be a good thing for hacking and/or AI tampering
Not a soul is thinking of the traitorous uses of this. Why, hardly anyone attaches RSDs to doors anymore and that's a real shame!
Lights randomly exploding and fucking you over would get complained about (rightly).
Lights being intentionally sabotage-able is great.

Same goes for doors and airlocks. Don't make the station immediately stupidly dangerous unless it's like, an obviously bad idea (belt hell, routing depot, escape pods), but do make it teeter on the brink of nefarious re-purposing.
(08-08-2017, 07:31 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Let's make the already terrible door crushing mechanic even worse! Woo!

Holy hell this is a bad idea.
im pretty damn sure there is or at least was a chance to remove limbs when airlock crushed, babies. just dont stand in airlocks, its pretty damn easy.
The crushing door is bad enough that it can effectively kill you if it happens at the worst possible time, but not so bad that it's guaranteed to end or ruin your round, and it happens just often enough that it's kinda funny. Adding in limb loss is a really fast way to ruin a person's round due to things they had no real control over.
Fuck no, airlock crushing is stupid as it is and I hate it.