Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
For LLJK1- a place for "character sheets"
Hi guys.

So, LLJK1 has a DM subforum, which is awesome.  Would it be useful to have either a thread in general, or a subfolder somewhere, where people can post anything they want publicly available about characters they use on the RP server?  This way, you can get a hold of people and try to set stuff up player-to-player, and also the DMs can, if they want, find people that'd fit well into any weird shit they come up with.  Maybe even get inspired by player ideas, if any of us have anything cool to bring to the table.

Thoughts?
This is a very CoolIdea™, +1 to just making it a thread. People can edit their posts as they see fit to change information, and post additional replies for alternate characters / silicon roles / head vs civ stuff
Back in my old RP communities, we usually had a thread with a template character sheet. You'd take that, fill it out, and post it in that thread, keeping it updated with all your characters and whatnot. Seemed to work pretty well for establishing who your characters were.
This sounds like a cool idea! It'd help with interactions between players and give a sense of what's "canon".
I support this, having a place to organize my ideas would really help play my character and seeing other people's character sheets could help understand there's
My only gripe with this is the whole weirdness of career changes between rounds. I see no harm at all with sticking a thread somewhere with someone suggesting a loose template at the top that people can fill in. If that gains traction, we could consider throwing a subforum somewhere.
Which rude person gave this thread one star? space bear

Yeah, career changes can mess some parts of characters' backstories up. Maybe just don't encourage people include things that would only be relevant to or make sense for a certain job (or even range of jobs), unless they know that that's all they're going to play? Or, I guess, there could be certain bits of info that could have a "only for x job" disclaimer, but that might quickly get convoluted and confusing.
(08-28-2017, 11:39 AM)Flourish Wrote: unless they know that that's all they're going to play?

Doesn't really apply for roundstart joiners. Late start, sure.
(08-28-2017, 11:45 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 11:39 AM)Flourish Wrote: unless they know that that's all they're going to play?

Doesn't really apply for roundstart joiners. Late start, sure.

I think that when they don't get the job the character is trained to do they could blame the bureaucracy of nanotransen. For instance when A scientist character got picked as captain the character thought that nanotransen was making a mistake but he couldn't do anything about it. Usually it's possible to structure it so your character ends up wit him a job fitting the skills in there backstory
Couple ways to go about that whole narrative dissonance.

You could just say you were always the role you are. You're just misremembering the times the geneticist was a changeling clown. Does wreak havock with continuity, though.

You could just cut out the times as the wrong role entirely. The geneticist was never anything else and claims to the contrary are lies. Then what's the point if what you do in those roles don't matter?

You could consider each role as it's own character. The geneticist and the changeling clown, while confirmed to exist, are not the same person. But if they have the same name, it'll get really confusing!

You could just make role changes not a major deal. Sure the geneticist was a changeling clown last shift, what of it? But then it might soften the roleplay for anyone who wants it a bit harder.

It's a tough balance to tread in a game as fluid as this, to allow for variation without it getting *too* silly for roleplay. But, I think we can do it.
Honestly, my headcanon is that every shift has a fresh batch of crewmembers made from a bunch of templates and stuffed into random job assignments. Any memories they have are some weird issue with the cloning process and transient or fake memories.
I just assume it’s like Paranoia where they just have basic templates and... sometimes... things don’t turn out right in the cloning process. As for the rest, I think our clones are taught what they need to know for their role (like in the Matrix) no matter what their actual background is.

Irene Mincine [145.9] says, “whoa. I know genetics.”
The head canon I came up with is that, kinda like the movie Moon, most of us are clones of an original dude somewhere safe and comfortable that sold their genetic rights to NanoTrasen. Someone at that sweet spot of competency at whatever job vs. not charging all that much, cuz, well, NT. If the character's background is in science or genetics or whatever and they get Captain, well... Picard 's background was diplomacy and Janeway's was engineering, but they both ended up with the rank of captain.
Janeway was a science officer mad
I figure, the characters in the game are simulations of potential recruits for a planned mission, and each round a separate simulation. Some are made up, some are based on past missions.

It's a data gathering process to account for all outcomes