Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
please make console, vending, and hacking UIs less awful
Just about every single thing on the station that relies on clickable menu options is completely awful to deal with. Need to hack a door? Have fun fucking around dragging multiple windows around. The same goes for vending machines and manufacturers. Need to order a bunch of stuff from the QM? Oh hey let's juggle through multiple windows then send you back to the giant list of crap, which by the way didn't save your spot.

At least in QM request and order consoles' case, just order the stuff with one click. No need for a pointless confirmation dialogue that juggles you around all over the place.

It would also be nice, generally speaking, if the appearanace of these various UIs wasn't as low effort as possible, graphically speaking. The QM is a good step in this direction but could definitely be made nicer, and there's no reason soda machines, manufacturers, nanomed dispensers, etc, can't similarly be spruced up.
I'm not sure what you're doing, but I don't remember door hacking ever taking up more than one window. Still, regarding interface improvements, it would be much more convenient if the hacking window appeared over the vendor/manufacturer window.

I actually dislike the QM console's interface style, largely because it doesn't play well with my aging computer. In fact, I misclick more often than I'd like with that interface, and the lack of confirmation doesn't help that. Though, in my case, I feel that it's my computer that's really the issue. It has a older OS, with an old IE, and support for it was dropped not too long ago.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "didn't save your spot" when there's a "Back to Market" (or something like that) link that takes you to the Order Crates page. It would be great, however, if that was changed to something to more obvious and/or bigger, like a button that says "Order More Crates". In fact, a lot of links in the QM console could be reworded and/or resized.
Are you really complaining about the console not remembering the exact point you had scrolled to? You do know what game you're playing and what engine it runs on, right? If that's enough to annoy you I'm amazed you still play at all
(07-29-2017, 05:08 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: Are you really complaining about the console not remembering the exact point you had scrolled to? You do know what game you're playing and what engine it runs on, right? If that's enough to annoy you I'm amazed you still play at all

Pretty much all of the interfaces I describe use HTML fyi
yeah and this game is made by nobodies in their free time not web developers (except wire xx)

main point is that this game is janky hell so who really cares if something isn't web 3.0 quality or whatever
QM and Hacking and shit is actually pretty easy to use (for me).
Just click the thing, giant menu moves up, click a button, click another button, click yes. Done. Should be seconds if you're veteran and a bit more like 30 seconds if you're new.
Then again I may just have better control of my mouse and have a larger monitor, but nothing seems to be in need of fixing to me.
(07-29-2017, 06:38 PM)YoukCat Wrote: nothing seems to be in need of fixing to me.
yup

y'all do know how hackily this game is made right?

So no, the QM interface doesn't have fancy jQuery scroll position stuff.
If anything, I'd like QM computers (at least the barcode label printer, the QM computers are never really a problem) to go back to the way they were.  Every so often I try to print a barcode and it won't let me scroll down unless I restart the game.
(07-29-2017, 07:08 PM)Technature Wrote: If anything, I'd like QM computers (at least the barcode label printer, the QM computers are never really a problem) to go back to the way they were.  Every so often I try to print a barcode and it won't let me scroll down unless I restart the game.

Yeah that barcode printer has given me lots of problems. I'll see about reverting that.

EDIT: Reverted
I think the problem with suggestions such as these is that they offer no viable alternative.

Would you prefer the pop-ups to what's similar to what's currently on bots and stuff? I feel complex interface, anything that would require navigating through would need HTML, while stuff like bots and hacking should have the pop-up. Simple QoL difference, as pop-up is things you use on the fly, while the HTML would be something you'd expect people to be using consoles and sitting down. Kind of makes sense in my head? no?

There's various QOL things that could be done to make things not so finicky. One thing I find frustrating with the QM console is that when you order a crate, the list of things is then reset back to the original position, i.e: It scrolls back to the very top. Having it when you hit return back to the list so it's not reset and locked on your previous scroll would make navigating and ordering multiple crates far easier.
Does Byond support jQuery or javascript code? Forgive me, I've never even looked at the code before and I'm on my phone at the moment. So, I can't check.

For a webpage you can use local storage to save the location and revert to it once the page loads.
javascrip the last time i looked at the code i remember it using jacascipt
(07-29-2017, 05:26 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: yeah and this game is made by nobodies in their free time not web developers (except wire xx)

main point is that this game is janky hell so who really cares if something isn't web 3.0 quality or whatever

Also web developer here, can confirm that this thing is jank. Love it anyway.

(07-31-2017, 07:08 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Does Byond support jQuery or javascript code? Forgive me, I've never even looked at the code before and I'm on my phone at the moment. So, I can't check.

For a webpage you can use local storage to save the location and revert to it once the page loads.

For a webpage, the browser is what's supposed to take care of remembering scroll positions for you if going forward/back. For something richer (e.g. something with infinite-scroll a la Reddit/Facebook) it's much more complicated, and given how funky BYOND is in general introducing more complexity for the sake of avoiding scrolling down is best done with caution.

In some places, the whole "click thing, whole UI doesn't refresh" aspect has been introduced (see chem dispensers), but this isn't something that's super easy to achieve if you're talking about multiple potentially long pages.
The QM console, if memory serves me correctly, is the longest list we have on any console so far. I suppose this is a QoL change but I don't see it as necessary.

If we're making any updates, I'd push for adding a quantity field to the list.

I also do web development on occasion. Built my portfolio site from the ground up using html, css [obviously], php, mysql, and jquery. Did some rudimentary work with C++ and Java but that was a decade ago. I'm hoping to work on a map of my own and a new gamemode once I have free time in my life.

Still trying to convince my brother to play this game so he too will become engrossed in this amazing community. The man is a programmer and a wizard when it comes to coding. Takes him about 5 minutes to do what takes me 45 and his code is always much cleaner.
I think tgui uses javascript code, of course they're using gulp and some node.js libraries somewhere to do things.