Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
free kingston 2 1/2: the smell of freedom
Thumbs Up 
My URC Username: "kingston" or similar

Date and time of the ban: a long time ago in an irc room far far away (no idea tbh, half year maybe?) 

Who banned me: not sure actually, Marquesas and BlackrayJack

Message given in the kick, if present: n/a

Summary of events leading up to the ban: i believe i'm banned from irc because a few people think i'm The Worst, there wasn't just one incident that led to this. also maybe related to being permabanned from the game (i forget the timeline)? full disclosure: i never  paid much attention to irc bans and always rejoined right after being banned/while i was on a temporary-perma-ban (if you know me you should know what i mean). i did have a tendency to start dumb arguments and try to get my space buds freed but imo, i was only really the worst ingame.

Why I should be unbanned: i won't pretend i'm fully reformed. i still like slinging shit and griefing 2d spacemen might be my first love. but real life happened and stuff and i've mellowed out from my earlier shit-slinging/free so and so/prisoners-dilemma-with-bombs days. you have my word (and i've always been true to that despite my other flaws, i think it's fair to say) that i won't discuss*: freeing kingston** or kingston affiliates, admin decisions, chemistry recipes (lol), i won't fight with anyone convinced i'm The Worst, and i won't try to start any shit in general in the irc. i just want to be able to hop in every so often to see what's going on or to say hi to some of the other major league nerds who are still playing (or hanging around ircs related to) 2d spacemen, without being banned relentlessly. 

forever your brother in freedom, king freeston. 

ps: i always try to be as genuine, honest, and forthright as i can in these appeals, as a consequence it's common for someone to try and use that to hurt my (real life) feelings by posting something about how nobody likes me in ss13. if you're here to post that post, be shamed, i'm just a dude trying to say hi in irc. 

*discuss in this context means actually launch into discussion of/argument about, i'd still want to be able to make dumb comments  in response to something but i won't start any conversations about freeing snatch (pbuh) or zorato (rest in poo) 
**as wise and honorable as it may be i disavow any free kingston related activity in the irc since ive been gone because if there was any i really had nothing to do with it (last time i was banned, someone thought i'd sent people to spam it)
As long as you keep doing the idiotic free kingston thing, which caused us no end of grief from people (even if you say they weren't sent by you - who knows), then there's no way you're getting back involved.

You say you won't do it but then you make it the frigging topic of your post - I mean come on man.
You are really insufferable, Kingston, so it's a no from me.
(07-26-2017, 01:45 AM)Wonkmin Wrote: As long as you keep doing the idiotic free kingston thing, which caused us no end of grief from people (even if you say they weren't sent by you - who knows), then there's no way you're getting back involved.

You say you won't do it but then you make it the frigging topic of your post - I mean come on man.
wonk cmon bro you know the thread title is just a joke, i said i won't bring free kingston into the irc and i won't, but i do think it's fair enough to use it as an amusing (to me at least) thread title. to be 100% honest with you i have very little interest in being unbanned from the game and have no plans on campaigning. 

re: alleged spammers  - and this was my defense when i was accused of leaking recipes out of spite - how many times have i been banned and taken it in stride and held no grudges? i think we both know if huff law, or someone else who dislikes me for whatever reason got banned for something silly tomorrow i'd root for them to be unbanned, you've seen me do it enough times (note: if unbanned i won't actually advocate in the irc as per my word). you can accuse me of being a lot of things, but being mad about an irc ban is not one of them. ive never personally seen anyone spam the irc so i really don't know if it's an ongoing thing or just something that happened once years ago. 

(07-26-2017, 03:43 AM)Huff H Law Wrote: You are really insufferable, Kingston, so it's a no from me.

man, to be honest i don't remember what i did to you so i can't/won't argue. sad react though.
The spamming was numerous people who decided to cause me problems via IRC PM, all with an identical message and at the same time, so I'm not sure it was one person with a proxy.

It wasn't much fun.
(07-26-2017, 08:21 AM)Wonkmin Wrote: The spamming was numerous people who decided to cause me problems via IRC PM, all with an identical message and at the same time, so I'm not sure it was one person with a proxy.

It wasn't much fun.

i know there's that theory that i have some secret cult of personality but for real i talk to like 3 dudes on the internet semi-regularly and we just play video games and i promise you none of them care anywhere near enough to harass your irc channel for me. so if someone's been being a dick in a not-funny way in my name, i'm sorry that's happening but i have nothing to do with it and surprisingly enough i don't even encourage it. if the mystery spammer is reading go gas people ingame or something bro it's not that serious

also wonk bro don't take this the wrong way but you'd be at least a little ways down the enemies list if i were masterminding an irc griefbot cabal, let's be realistic.
Oh my god now it's all coming back to me, holy fuck you are still as insufferable as ever and haven't change even a little bit. Letting you back in anywhere would be a mistake.

Apparently an explanation is in order here: your way of typing is just grating, and this really strange way where you take things on the internet seriously (yeah I totally care about who gets banned, I'd totally vouch for people to get unbanned even if I didn't like them!) and really really not (saying "bro" all the time, typing with no caps, using really old jokes you came up with after several years of not using them)

It's just, you seem really intent on playing this singular persona or whatever, it's not funny, it just grates on me personally. That's why I think you're irritating.
Voting nope for reasons loads of other people have already posted, in this thread and others. Nahhh.
(07-26-2017, 12:47 PM)Huff H Law Wrote: Oh my god now it's all coming back to me, holy fuck you are still as insufferable as ever and haven't change even a little bit. Letting you back in anywhere would be a mistake.

Apparently an explanation is in order here: your way of typing is just grating, and this really strange way where you take things on the internet seriously (yeah I totally care about who gets banned, I'd totally vouch for people to get unbanned even if I didn't like them!) and really really not (saying "bro" all the time, typing with no caps, using really old jokes you came up with after several years of not using them)

It's just, you seem really intent on playing this singular persona or whatever, it's not funny, it just grates on me personally. That's why I think you're irritating.

sorry bro i don't really think that much about how i type, it's a stream of consciousness type thing that usually i try to clean up later and all lowercase lets me type faster. plus i say bro a lot in real life. sorry you're not a fan? also i really will try to get just about anyone unbanned, wonk should be able to vouch for me regarding a certain slightly misguided very polish irc denizen

Try to see things my way: I got into SS13 after Zorato told me a story about slipping SnatchD on poo and throwing him into an old mining furnace. This game is incredibly stupid and it resets itself every hour or two, there's almost never a good reason to try and stop someone from playing it forever. Almost invariably whatever they did is going to be forgotten in the next half hour but they'll still be banned forever, which doesn't make sense because doing dumb shit is the entire point of this game. If someone shows an interest in coming back take a deep breath and let them back in. I push "free so and so" because permabans are so petty, in the running for the smallest possible amount of power to have over someone ever, and I can't justify fucking someone's day up over a slip-up that will be erased in an hour at most. That's not what this thread is about, though, just trying to show you that I'm internally consistent. Let everyone have fun. Imagine being face to face with someone and telling them they're not playing the 15 year old, 2d toilet humor space game correctly and are banned - goofy, right? 

re: The Kingston persona, it's hard to let it go after so many years, it's more or less who I am in SS13 related media, and I do enjoy playing the heel. But it's a bad idea to expose anything but AstroTurf (synthflesh?) in an environment where a guy I've spent 5 minutes talking to and 5 1/2 thinking about will tell me I'm the insufferable scum of the earth because I type in a lazy way and try to get people unbanned sometimes. It's just a game, and I just want to go to IRC to see what's up sometimes without having to deal with certain ops writing autoban scripts for variations on "Kingston". 

Also reminder, I did say in my OP I wasn't looking to talk about unbans or anything but you brought it up so.  

popecrunch: Shobon... (deflated)
Fair enough, I still never want to talk to you.
Look I mean I get it that SS13 is, by its very nature and definition, a terrible game for terrible people. I mean really it's a 2d spaceman simulator where beating someone to the ground with their own severed ass and then finishing them off by injecting their eyeballs with a mixture of their own vomit and the vomit of others is not only possible, but actually encouraged if you roll antag - but this game is still operated by a community of folks and run on the servers of a couple kind and extremely generous people who have decided on a set of rules to govern conduct for the benefit of everyone who hangs out. Same deal with the IRC channel, the rules there are even more lax and mostly boil down to 'for the love of god don't be a jerk for no reason and don't start shit up'. Despite those fairly relaxed rules, you still managed to consistently fuck them up to the point where you've shown over a long period of time that you're either unwilling or fundamentally unable to fit in. That doesn't mean you're a bad person, I mean hell I'd buy you a beer sometime as long as you promise not to call me 'bro' - but you're not a great fit for this community. That's all.
Nah, your unwillingness to change has killed any good will left.
I'm not familiar enough with all the events everyone's describing in this thread to comment on any of that, so, uh..

I guess my usual position with these things applies. It's easy to ban someone. It's easy to lift a ban. It's easy to ban someone again.

We obviously can't ignore the history that led to this point but he says he's calmed down, people grow older and change, and it's just a chatroom on the internet and a BYOND game. Given he's shown the effort to make the appeal, engage with us and be honest and frank about it I think the least we could do is respect that and give him a chance.

There's always another ban if problems continue.
(07-27-2017, 01:30 AM)Huff H Law Wrote: Fair enough, I still never want to talk to you.

man i have a feeling you've never actually talked to me at all, but ok. 

Quote:popecrunch

i understand that i have a reputation as a shit stirrer and "bad news" but tbh i only ever really fought with people on in-game stuff, which is why i promised not to talk about it if unbanned and these days the only ss13 servers i play on are the aliens and ww2 mod ones. re: the community, only a few ops ever "enforced" bans on me, i was never the bane of the op crew or anything to my knowledge (well, i guess whoever was spamming you on my behalf might have been), and half the people i still play games with today are from ss13. by the way i was fine with your no vote earlier but you responded again. 
Quote:hukhukhuk
well like i said above i won't pretend like i'm a totally different dude, but i dont think i ever really misbehaved that much in irc and most of the ill will comes from the game, and i think like 75% of it dates from my permaban and aftermath 4 years ago. what i mean here is i was never one of the guys in the irc being banned over political arguments, insulting other users, etc. 

Quote:drsingh
thanks man. i appreciate that you've always advocated for me to get another shot at things. 

like i said in the OP, in the past id just ignore irc bans and come in whenever i felt like it, but i didn't do that this time and would just like a chance at being in the irc like any other regular user. a lot of the people who dislike me, dislike me because i tend to ignore rules and ban evade but i'm saying i won't do that this time and wrote the appeal as an olive branch though it took me like 100 times longer than switching my ip and irc nickname would. if i join the irc and start a bunch of shit just ban me again and i won't come back. after my permaban was lifted (like 3 years ago) and i was on my "ultimate last chance", i was re-perma'd (a year ago?)for something i doubt any other player would have even been PMd over, but i'd agreed to the ultimate last chance thing and didn't complain. just asking for the same here.

also to add onto what drsingh said - if i come into irc and i'm still the worst banning me is a 10 second thing.

edit 2: full disclosure: was looking at unban threads for a laugh and i ran across wonk talking about his ban of clarks and realized i'd been one of the people who really went after him for that, but from dealing with wonk a few times i know he tries hard to be fair and i probably went too far, and he probably wasn't the only admin i did that to. i'm not going to flat out say i was wrong because i don't remember much of the details there but i do want to say i know it's one of my problem areas and why i promised not to talk about it if unbanned.
sent today

[06:35:01] [you] free my boy kingston

from

([email protected])