Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Annual/regular code releases
Aren't licensing issues the reason why they weren't already doing this?
(07-20-2017, 03:43 AM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(07-20-2017, 03:28 AM)Ed Venture Wrote: I mean they don't even need a reason. Despite all the good I think it can do by sharing the code, if a coder does not want his or her efforts open for all then that's their right and I respect their choice.

Yeah, and that's a pretty valid argument. It was mostly the "like vorestation" that got me, since it sorta insinuates things getting wholesale stolen by NML would be ok because it's not those icky furry erpers.

You know, I've never been to vorestation. Do people there actually "erotically" eat each other or is it just  SS13 with dog dicks?
(07-20-2017, 08:34 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(07-20-2017, 03:28 AM)Ed Venture Wrote: I mean they don't even need a reason. Despite all the good I think it can do by sharing the code, if a coder does not want his or her efforts open for all then that's their right and I respect their choice.

Yeah, and that's a pretty valid argument. It was mostly the "like vorestation" that got me, since it sorta insinuates things getting wholesale stolen by NML would be ok because it's not those icky furry erpers.

You know, I've never been to vorestation. Do people there actually "erotically" eat each other or is it just  SS13 with dog dicks?
They do, they have a coded in Vore system and everything that you can edit.
(07-20-2017, 08:41 AM)YoukCat Wrote:

to be honest we probably shouldint be surprised considering /tg/ station lets you deep fry everything and we have the matter eater mutation someone was going to fetishize it eventually
(07-20-2017, 11:14 AM)BBEG Wrote:
(07-20-2017, 08:41 AM)YoukCat Wrote:

to be honest we probably shouldint be surprised considering /tg/ station lets you deep fry everything and we have the matter eater mutation someone was going to fetishize it eventually
Out of curiosity, I read the wiki for Vore station.

Never.

Again.
It sure is something, huh?

Also, I realised just now most essential features of goon are public, either in the form of the leak or the public patches. An update to the code release would, for the most part, solely be bugfixes and tweaks to existing content, and integration of all those great patches so people would know exactly what they're working with. People who have considered porting some insane, goon-specific feature like packets probably wouldn't change their mind one way or another if they found out "Oh man, powernet packets were reformatted to be able to be received correctly? Well this changes everything!" and franticly begin the grueling task of porting it over such a small bugfix.

However, this sort of code means a whole lot more when actually building on the codebase. While a tweak of a few values in secret would mean nothing to a wannabe porter, it could mean everything for the balance of a particular feature someone is working on, and similar things could simply silently break code in it's entirety because of the mess that is BYOND.
I support this for 100% unselfish reasons and not because I want to play on dount2 without being forced to fix shit or put in effort

But yeah like what other people said I think this is a great idea and giving people a way to easily make patches without those patches getting fucked by out of date code can only help goon.
Scrub the secret shit out and release the code periodically. If you want people to actually make patches, limit their suffering to using BYOND, don't include the possibility of the system they're working on having been completely changed and their code being old as fuck