Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tweak coats and cold resistance
Cold resistance should cap out how cold you get and boost the rate you warm back up. That way, all the coats and sweaters would have some minor use, as would having a non-100% cold resistance.

For instance, a naked crewman in the freezer would be chilled to the bones he technically doesn't have, but someone wearing a sweater would feel merely cold, and someone in a winter coat would think it's quite pleasant.

Once outside of the freezer, the naked crewman would need blankets, napalm, and a lot of time to warm back up, the besweatered crewman a brisk walk around the kitchen, and the winter coatsman would want to go back into the freezer since he's wearing a heavy coat in a warm room.

That brings me to my next suggestion: make warm clothing lower your comfortable temperature.

While heavy winter gear would be great for making your way through the icy, airless halls of the station without losing *too* much of your speed, you'd sweat your ass off in any other room, maybe eventually giving yourself heatstroke if you're wearing a million parkas and someone turns on the heater.

This would give sweaters and coats their own roles: Sweaters would be mildly effective at keeping you not-cold, but also not require doffing in safety; coats would be great at keeping you warm, but require doffing indoors; spacesuits would have all of the advantages of a high cold resist with none of the drawbacks of wintergear, as well as be spaceproof and make you look like a murderer.

Some special non-space insulated wear, like the paramedic suit, would be effective at reducing the cold, but also not as toasty to wear at room temperature. Labcoats could modify their insulation by buttoning and unbuttoning (though they'd be pretty bad at it in either case).

Also coat racks so you don't have to tie the arms around your waist like a dork.
(07-21-2017, 08:15 AM)Superlagg Wrote: While heavy winter gear would be great for making your way through the icy, airless halls of the station without losing *too* much of your speed, you'd sweat your ass off in any other room, maybe eventually giving yourself heatstroke if you're wearing a million parkas and someone turns on the heater.

Yeah partner that with heat resistance from wearing less clothing to being plain naked. Maybe some bits a pieces of clothing add a little more heat resistance like wearing clothing soaked in water or cool shades
no coat racks, i want to tie it around my waist! this all sounds good, and it sounds like you insinuated this but the thing with cold/heat resist slowing how fast you go back to normal temperature is the worst. if you have 100% cold resist from clothes, and get cryostylaned, or that genetics ice thing, you have to strip naked or you'll be max cold forever
What if, instead of "prevent temperature drop below/rise above uncomfortable levels", temperature/thermal resistance makes cold/hot/any temperature comfortable?
(07-21-2017, 03:15 PM)Technature Wrote: What if, instead of "prevent temperature drop below/rise above uncomfortable levels", temperature/thermal resistance makes cold/hot/any temperature comfortable?

Problem with that would be the weird jump from comfortable to unaffected. With a generic jacket or something, if you're moving around at full speed while chilly and it advances to freezing you'd stop like a brick.
(07-21-2017, 01:53 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: no coat racks, i want to tie it around my waist! this all sounds good, and it sounds like you insinuated this but the thing with cold/heat resist slowing how fast you go back to normal temperature is the worst. if you have 100% cold resist from clothes, and get cryostylaned, or that genetics ice thing, you have to strip naked or you'll be max cold forever

It'd be the other way around, high cold resist would make you warm back up quicker.