Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HoS "Lawgiver" aka Judge Dredd gun
From the questionable ideas thread: Give the HoS a fancier gun modeled after the one Judge Dredd uses. That would entail

1. The gun can only be fired if the wielder has the same fingerprints as the HoS
2. The gun will explode in the hands of someone who doesn't have the right set of fingerprints, taking their arm with it
3. There is a randomized code that can be spoken that turns that feature on and off
4. The gun has several firing modes, which can be manually changed or voice activated. The modes are
  • Detain - Standard taser shot on a recharging battery
  • Execute - .357 and .38 rounds. Starts with load of .357
  • Knockout - .308 Rounds. Starts with a Sodium Thiopental darts
  • Hotshot - Flares
  • Bigshot - 40mm. Starts with one HE round
5. Each ammo type is loaded independently
6. Extra ammo should be placed in the armory for the flare and .38 rounds
#1 seems a bit superfluous considering that it'll blow up if you dont have the fingerprints

does cutting off someone's arm and attaching it to yourself give you their fingerprints?
(07-14-2017, 11:59 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: #1 seems a bit superfluous considering that it'll blow up if you dont have the fingerprints

does cutting off someone's arm and attaching it to yourself give you their fingerprints?

i agree. either just make it shock them and send the HoS PDA an alert, or keep the feature but make the fingerprint thing off code the same all the time, but it only works if the HoS (or someone who sounds like him, i.e. ling/voice changer) says it. also add an emergency turn off code that just disables the gun, either forever or for a certain period of time, so if there IS an imposter, the real HoS could yell the code in dire circumstances
As a frequent HoS player I'd love this, but I don't know if it could be implemented in exactly the way you suggested. The multiple different ammo types would be a logistical nightmare, it would probably just make more sense to add a new "Lawgiver" ammo that is universal for the gun.
(07-15-2017, 12:44 AM)Firepower Wrote: As a frequent HoS player I'd love this, but I don't know if it could be implemented in exactly the way you suggested. The multiple different ammo types would be a logistical nightmare, it would probably just make more sense to add a new "Lawgiver" ammo that is universal for the gun.

Agreed honestly, just make it go off of some sort of fancy nanite ammo or energy like most everything else does
yeah cool

yeah cool
For a more questionable idea, what if the gun also had a short range disrupt mode.

HOS could trigger it to briefly stun rogue borgs or shut off rude buddies. (unless of course tasers already stun borgs, or lasers are good enough as is)

Also I think it might be better if HOS only needed to worry about one ammo type.

Perhaps if you're willing to go a little crazier, let HOS order extra ammo from cargo, or use a general manufacturer to make it.

Also I wanna see what happens when you try to use lawmaker ammo in a zip gun. (Rando effect or explosion IMO, which would make it a dice roll ammo because you have no idea what will come out of the gun)

Other thoughts of mine include Can someone use polymorph to forge HOS's fingerprints, or inject themselves with stable mutagen + HOS blood to mass produce a Judge Dredd army. Or even kill HOS, then have an mindslave put their brain in HOS's body.
I was thinking of using existing ammo as the reloads to encourage the HoS to visit the armory more, but if you think it should be a universal type, I've got a revised list of the fire modes:
  • Detain: 12 shots of taser
  • Execute: 8 rounds of .357
  • Knockout: 8 darts of sodium thiopental
  • Hotshot: 4 flares
  • Bigshot: 2 of the 12g HE rounds
  • Smokeshot: 2 40mm smoke rounds
The universal ammo tops everything off, and there's one extra one in the armory
(07-15-2017, 07:56 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: HOS could trigger it to briefly stun rogue borgs or shut off rude buddies. (unless of course tasers already stun borgs, or lasers are good enough as is)

hello please never tase borgs as like, 5 taser shots will straight up kill a borg, and destroy it's head most of the time. its also what causes the glitchy dead bodies that walk in a direction forever and examine text doesn't show they have no head so if they have clothes on people assume they're braindead with a button on a movement key. alternates to tasers for borgs sounds reasonable. could we have like, a flash shot? that just fires a ray of light to flash people from a short distance away, like 3 tiles max range
Is it possible to repurpose magic missile code to give it a firing option that seeks targets, too? Isn't that something Judge Dredd could do? Ideally you'd go to a secmate-enabled computer and use that to select your criminal-target-lock so it'd be a useful feature if planned with, but not a "win" button for random fights in the field.
The settings should be exclusively voice-activated, for maximum security/changeling shenanigans. Seems like something Nanotrasen would do. And yeah, just make it an energy gun that fires different kinds of shots through technobabble.
Crappy idea: Have it use the RCD's compressed matter cartridges as ammo.
let's not turn this into a "hos supergun" thread this isn't 2011 we aren't trying to appease TURDS
Also if emagged it just blows up the next time someone tries to use it.
(07-15-2017, 03:23 PM)OMJ Wrote: let's not turn this into a "hos supergun" thread this isn't 2011 we aren't trying to appease TURDS

I see it less as a HOS SUPER GUN and more as HOS's swiss army gun. HOS could already order any powerful weapon from QM and I wouldn't doubt that a smart HOS could probably get telescience to get them even stronker guns.

That said, I do agree with not trying to escape the scope of the original suggestion too much. Swiss Army gun is a super dope concept and the more doodads people want on it, the less likely it will get coded.

That said, if a gun that magically can change shots is too OP by itself, perhaps it could be some kind of assembled weapon. HOS breaks the gun into pieces and then reassembles it to suite their current need? You can already sorta do this with a flamethrower by removing the air tank, fuel, and then unscrewing the flamethrower. You could carry it with you totally sight unseen that way. I guess the only problem with that is now instead of about three sprites, you now need more.

I think that gets in the way of voice control though.

As for the ammo, what if it was made with Miracle Matter? That makes sense since miracle matter makes no sense as an ore, could be tied into research at any point, and if it does become possible to mass produce, becomes way more difficult to actually find.