Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Medical Director starts with a weapon permit.
But like... that doesn't seem to hold water? Are the captain's e-gun and the detective's .38 any less amok-y?
The Captain and Detective are both security related, while the MD is not. So, canon wise it would make sense for a civilian role like the MD or the Bartender to not have the right to wield a weapon. I figured both were examples of them smuggling something onboard previous to the round start.

Gameplaywise you have a more solid argument, but really there's no reason either should have to start with a gun when so many other roles don't, so I would just consider the fact that you get something a nice little bonus and leave it at that.
if people care about the balancing or immersion or whatever, just get rid of the tranq rounds, just keep the mutadone ones, a gift from NT just in case, or a bad past experience leaves the MD to smuggle it around with them.

keep the tranq rounds in the armory, maybe even add a few more
(07-22-2017, 02:42 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: The Captain and Detective are both security related, while the MD is not.

That's weird, with how many times I've been ranted at for trying to impose ANY sort of order on the crew as a Captain. wink

I mean, the tranq rifle is identical to the security ones. It starts in the locked MD locker. It is pretty obviously job equipment. If it's been a huge problem in the past, just got rid of it. The bartender shotgun DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING to do with what I'm saying- IIRC the barman spawns WITH the shotgun in his backpack, doesn't he? It was very obviously smuggled aboard. But the tranq rifle is MD equipment, very very obviously. It is there for a specific reason. It is, in fact, part of the MD's job AFAIK to make sure genetics don't get abused, since genetics is part of their section of the station.

Like I said, I can understand wanting to have it be illegal cuz "it's funny" I guess, but then give the e-gun and detective gun the same treatment because that's ALSO funny. smile

Anyhow, I don't wanna keep repeating myself, I'm just... really having trouble understanding, like, a consistent argument against this.
(07-22-2017, 02:54 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote: Like I said, I can understand wanting to have it be illegal cuz "it's funny" I guess, but then give the e-gun and detective gun the same treatment because that's ALSO funny. smile

The Captain is the leader of the station it makes sense for the role to have weapons of some sort. The Detective is arguably part of Security so again it makes sense why they have those weapons. I'm not saying the MD should not have the same treatment with their equipment, but saying others should have theirs remove cause the MD does not get the same treatment is ridiculous.

By the way I do think they should have a weapon permit cause the rifle was clearly put there by centcom I just don't agree with the argument you're putting forth.
(07-22-2017, 03:02 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(07-22-2017, 02:54 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote: Like I said, I can understand wanting to have it be illegal cuz "it's funny" I guess, but then give the e-gun and detective gun the same treatment because that's ALSO funny.  smile

The Captain is the leader of the station it makes sense for him to have weapons of some sort. The Detective is arguably part of Security so again it makes sense why they have those weapons. I'm not saying the MD should not have the same treatment with their equipment, but saying others should have theirs remove cause the MD does not get the same treatment is ridiculous.

By the way I do think they should have a weapon permit cause the rifle was clearly put there by centcom I just did not agree with the argument you were putting forth.

Myself neither, really, but it seemed more internally consistent than the arguments against just giving the MD a permit.  Like, if it's gonna be all about the funnies, at least go full hilt with it.
(07-22-2017, 02:54 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote:
(07-22-2017, 02:42 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: The Captain and Detective are both security related, while the MD is not.

That's weird, with how many times I've been ranted at for trying to impose ANY sort of order on the crew as a Captain. wink

I mean, the tranq rifle is identical to the security ones.  It starts in the locked MD locker.  It is pretty obviously job equipment.  If it's been a huge problem in the past, just got rid of it.  The bartender shotgun DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING to do with what I'm saying- IIRC the barman spawns WITH the shotgun in his backpack, doesn't he?  It was very obviously smuggled aboard.  But the tranq rifle is MD equipment, very very obviously.  It is there for a specific reason.  It is, in fact, part of the MD's job AFAIK to make sure genetics don't get abused, since genetics is part of their section of the station.

Yeah, the fact that the best thing against a super powered psychopath could be stopped by a well meaning security bot is kinda silly.
(07-11-2017, 11:39 AM)poland spring Wrote: No but there should be a way for sec to grant permits

Permits already exist, but it's on that horrible no-good clunker of a contraption called Security Records

Granting TicketMaster a way to bypass the god-awful archaic soul-crushing computer would be for the best. Deputize on the go!
(07-23-2017, 11:59 AM)APARTHEID Wrote:
(07-11-2017, 11:39 AM)poland spring Wrote: No but there should be a way for sec to grant permits

Permits already exist, but it's on that horrible no-good clunker of a contraption called Security Records

Granting TicketMaster a way to bypass the god-awful archaic soul-crushing computer would be for the best. Deputize on the go!

This I would like. Make them like stickers that you just slap on the person
Just chiming in to say that any "fix" or w/e you wanna call it that involves inter-departmental communication and whatnot is a+ top notch in my book, for whatever that is worth. Feel like giving departments a reason to mix/share/communicate etc. is the only semi-weak spot to this glorious server.
Permit's aren't just a security records thing. In the hops access terminal there is a "Weapons permit" option available when configuring someone's access, under the security category. Assuming the hop actually knows this you can just ask them to give you one.