Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Department-specific spacesuits
After winter coats and various other items were nerfed to no longer be spaceproof, many a crew member were left without easy access to spaceworthy gear. Considering that half the station is breached by the end of the round all of the time, and that not having 100% cold resist is basically no better than running around naked in a breached area, I feel this must be remedied.
Every department get's their own spacesuit variant, with varying stats and abilities. The department heads always spawn with one in their locker.
Edits that were made to ideas after-the fact are bolded. Ideas from the original that were deemed to be shitty are crossed out.
  • Engineering suits: Already exist, but are rather boring right now so I am changing them anyway. These would be the most common kind of suit on the station, with every engineer and miner being able to access one rather easily, and the quartermaster being able to order more rather cheaply. They would be the slowest kind of suit, but with higher-than average damage resistance and complete immunity to fire; you could walk into the combustion chamber mid-hellburn to cook some donk pockets and come out unscathed with these things. The helmets would retain their built-in flashlights and welding protection.
  • Industrial suits: would stay the same, but would now get fire immunity and their helmets would get the built-in flashlights.
  • Medical suits: Rather rare, with only two being on the station normally; one stored with the paramedic suits and one in the medical director's locker. They would be designed with quick extraction of patients from dangerous areas in mind, having no melee or bullet resistance, but absolutely no slowdown. Helmet comes with a high-power flashlight.
  • Research suits: Two spawn in toxins. Quite slow but highly resistant to explosives; not immune like security's EOD armor or mining's industrial suits, but allows you to shrug off pipebombs without being delimbed or gibbed, protects you from shrapnel, and may save you from being gibbed by a TTV if you are far from the center of the blast. Won't do jack shit to protect you from a canbomb though. Same melee and bullet resistance as the current spacesuits.
  • Security suits: Two spawn in the room with all the security lockers. No slowdown Very slight slowdown and provides the same resistances as body armor and a helmet. Helmet also protects from flashes.
  • Head of staff's suits: replaces the suits in EVA and is in the hop's locker. Because the hop can give themselves all access and steal a better one, this one is just an excessively fancy-looking emergency suit with less slowdown, complete with falling apart if you try to actually go out in space with it. Basically the same as the current EVA suits, average slowdown, average resistances. The HOP gets a fancier looking one with slightly less slowdown.
  • Captain's suit: No slowdown, makes you look really cool. Otherwise just one of the normal EVA suits.
  • Syndicate suits: The syndicate spares no expense for their operatives. These ones have engineering's fire immunity, research's explosive resistance, security's armor, and no slowdown on top of all that.
  • Syndicate command suits: Same as a standard syndicate suit, but with full immunity to explosions and even stronger armor.
  • Catering suits: Two spawn in the chef&bartender's room. Basically a slightly less slow and nicer-looking emergency suit, going out in space with it is still a very bad idea. Mostly just so the duo can still do their jobs if their workplace gets vented.
And as with all of my suggestions, feedback is appreciated <3
(07-02-2017, 08:40 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: No slowdown

I'm fine with unarmored medic suits having no slowdown but it shouldnt be preferable to run around in an armored space suit in full atmosphere

(07-02-2017, 08:40 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Head of staff's suits: replaces the suits in EVA and is in the hop's locker. Because the hop can give themselves all access and steal a better one, this one is just an excessively fancy-looking emergency suit with less slowdown, complete with falling apart if you try to actually go out in space with it.

Why not just give them a real one so they don't go stealing someone elses suit. You also haven't given any alternatives for civilian personnel so I don't see how it would replace EVA.

(07-02-2017, 08:40 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Syndicate suits: The syndicate spares no expense for their operatives. These ones have engineering's fire immunity, research's explosive resistance, security's armor, and no slowdown on top of all that.

I don't see why these need fire immunity, it limits the options the crew has against them
All of your points are good ones. So basically make the Hop's suit not shitty, add a slowdown to the security suits, and remove fire immunity from syndie suits? Captain's suit is keeping the no slowdown though.
I feel like it should be slightly easier than it is currently for your average crewman to get a suit, as it is there's usually a gaping hole somewhere on the station that nobody bothers fixing.
I think it would be kinda cool if some space suits were one piece costumes and others required a bunch of extra gear to be complete.

Similar to TG really.

For instance a common space suit that you could make, but you'd have to wear space shoes, a space bodysuit, and a space helmet and you wouldn't get much in defense or individual flair. It would be big, heavy and ugly. Basically the emergency space suits we have now.

Whereas something like the captain spacesuit would go over your armor slot and when it was time to space you turn it on and it covers your whole body. Or maybe it only gives you a helmet when you turn it on. If you want to go expensively ridiculous, maybe a belt that turns into a spacesuit, or gives you a personal air bubble that somehow protects you against heat and airloss but isn't useful for much else.

Basically I'd just like to see a little more variety in space time shenanigans that doesn't involve either risking it in a pod or trying to hope the bright orange death suits stay in tact.
Made changes to the original post. Feedback still wanted.
Why not make this a spacesuit reskin reward for some common achievements? That would allow for a good amount of code re-use, all that would be needed is the sprites.