Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
turn on looc
I mean, you can just type your questions directly into mentor help and have every mentor see that.

I don't see why having a mentor be visible is necessary for them to help you, and isn't there a kinda unspoken rule about avoiding IC stuff in mentorhelp to avoid mentors having meta knowledge? Wouldn't seeing who a mentor is and them knowing who you are create more situations where people are learning metaknowledge than they would without it?

What happens when someone who has antag IDs a mentor, asks a question, and then kills them while they're typing?

There's too much that can go wrong with this and it's not needed
(07-07-2017, 03:26 PM)OMJ Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 09:07 PM)Technature Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 05:47 PM)OMJ Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 03:39 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 03:02 PM)OMJ Wrote: let mentors be visible to new players so they can ask for help!!

They are already visible and the game tells how to contact mentors or check if they are there. Purple Text andThe Who command

i mean directly in game
i think a welcome page for the first like, 10 rounds to encourage the asking of questions

Again, something like this can be abused.  All someone needs to do is make a new account and voila, they can target specific people.

Someone who has a grudge against a particular mentor would get some use out of something like this.

you'd have to be a special kind of weird to do that shit

Oh, don't get me wrong, I definitely agree with that.  Sadly, special kind of weird people exist.
that sounds like one of the most ridiculous slippery slope scenario/arguments i've seen and i've seen a lot here
So you guys are arguing against features that will make the game more enjoyable to new players just because 1 person out of like 100 MIGHT have the idea to abuse it and that our mentors are too fragile to handle a single troll that hasn't even been proven to exist?
The problem with looc as a help form is that it's redundant against actual mentorhelp. Looc would only message those in the local area, while mentorhelp would not only message serverwide, but all of the mentors at once.

And then there's the actual logistics behind it. How would a NEW person know that one of the players in the area is a mentor? And if their not a mentor and you don't want to waste your time Looc speaking, what happened to just normal IC speech?
(07-08-2017, 04:36 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: that sounds like one of the most ridiculous slippery slope scenario/arguments i've seen and i've seen a lot here

lol
People already abuse the normal chat to get an advantage. What makes you think they wouldn't a system like this?

Also, maybe some mentors don't want to be ID'd in game? Do you gotta code an opt out thing for those guys? Do they have to unapply for mentorship?

I get where you're coming from. On paper it sounds like a good idea. I just don't think you fully considered all the angles on it.
This is not a very good idea.
(07-08-2017, 10:58 AM)The Worst Wrote: This is not a very good idea.
fair! there are a lot of angles i absolutely didn't consider and this addition would be redundant.
however, i think it'd be great to give new players a big fat welcome screen (and exclude them from antag) for the first few rounds
(07-08-2017, 12:26 PM)OMJ Wrote: however, i think it'd be great to give new players a big fat welcome screen (and exclude them from antag) for the first few rounds

The welcome screen would be good.

Excluding from antag is already done via starting as opting out of everything.  You have to specifically opt in via occupations for the game to pick you to be a bad guy.
(07-08-2017, 01:33 PM)Technature Wrote: Excluding from antag is already done via starting as opting out of everything.  You have to specifically opt in via occupations for the game to pick you to be a bad guy.
last i checked, it was the opposite. although, last i checked was when i joined the game, like a year ago. i also could just be thinking about job priorities. random note: we should make staff assistant set to high priority and everything else to unwanted to start with for new people
While it would be nice to have a more immersion-preserving way of telling someone how to cut my butt off, I'm more than happy with lampshaded IC references to OOC elements.

Plus the moment someone LOOCs about the ling who stung them is the moment dad takes it away for good.
(07-08-2017, 07:25 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 01:33 PM)Technature Wrote: Excluding from antag is already done via starting as opting out of everything.  You have to specifically opt in via occupations for the game to pick you to be a bad guy.
last i checked, it was the opposite. although, last i checked was when i joined the game, like a year ago. i also could just be thinking about job priorities. random note: we should make staff assistant set to high priority and everything else to unwanted to start with for new people

Staff assistant is one of the worst jobs to play as a new player, they've got basically no access and therefore absolutely nothing to do.

The only jobs that should start low-priority or disabled for new players are Sec and AI - both of them are somewhat advanced jobs, and they're things that someone with it set is fairly likely to draw because a lot of players disable one or both.
It won't let me just type no