Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Penalties for Wizards Using Guns
I remember reading that wizards are supposed to be technophobes or something, so it came to me as just plain dumb that they're able to use guns and other weaponry, let alone have the god damn audacity to add to their already ludicrous power.

Also.

(07-06-2017, 11:45 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 08:46 AM)BBEG Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 05:39 AM)Berrik Wrote: mabye drop this idea because it's dumb

Wizards know how to use modern technology just fine, they're just hypocritical dickbags

i would think that wizard culture would discourage the us of muggle weapons lest they be mocked by there peers "hey check it out carl uses guns hey carl what are ya a nancy no magic AHAHAHAHAHA!!"

(07-06-2017, 07:33 AM)Maegor Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 08:23 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 06:57 PM)HydroFloric Wrote: I support this idea
Guns do make wizards more robust, they give them a method of stunning/killing people without using spells, and (minor point but still relevant) any gun in the hands of a wizard is a gun the crew can't use against them. This gives them a lot more flexibility when it comes to managing spell usage and cooldowns.
:jerkbag:
(07-06-2017, 04:14 PM)SgtBriar Wrote: :jerkbag:

Well ok then
(07-06-2017, 02:11 PM)Technature Wrote: I remember reading that wizards are supposed to be technophobes or something

Yeah. From what I remember, it'd basically be like an amish guy riding around in a hotrod. It's counter-philosophy.

Not that ARPEE should be enforced, but it's a good excuse to mitigate the "Oh boy I have all these amazing abilities! Time to grab a taser and do the exact same thing I always do! " train of thought.
(07-06-2017, 09:44 PM)Vitatroll Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 02:11 PM)Technature Wrote: I remember reading that wizards are supposed to be technophobes or something

Yeah. From what I remember, it'd basically be like an amish guy riding around in a hotrod. It's counter-philosophy.

Not that ARPEE should be enforced, but it's a good excuse to mitigate the "Oh boy I have all these amazing abilities! Time to grab a taser and do the exact same thing I always do! " train of thought.

FWIW amish guys can totally ride around in a hot rod, they're just not supposed to DRIVE it.  It's pretty complicated and technical.  Dunno HOW it plays into this conversation but I figured it was worth mentioning.
Since wizards don't know how to use technology, perhaps a chance to accidentally shoot/tase/whatever themselves on each attempt to use an item of technological nature?
From the Ideas of Questionable Quality thread: 
(06-08-2017, 04:14 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 10:00 PM)atomic1fire Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 09:19 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 09:07 AM)locusts Wrote: if a wizard touches (ie. deliberately picks up) a gun they should lose all of their magic powers. it's one or the other magic boy

thats a solid idea and has basis in a lot of fantasy lore. 
the other way this can go is if they try to fire a gun, they have a 50% ( or greater) chance of it blowing up and knocking an arm off. 
personally leaning toward the latter, but either way works.

Use of any technology by a wizard should end with things either blowing up, or harming the wizard.

Granted this now makes it harder for wizard to give themselves captain level access outside of just stealing caps ID or bribing the hop with a meth golem.

On a side note, perhaps wizard should be able to command golems like pets. e.g "Sit, sic em, guard" etc. Petting golems is ill advised.

I think a fairly low-ish chance of blowing out electricals would be sufficient for most things, like how lightbulbs blow from heat. Just have maybe 10% chance of blowing out any appliance he uses, but significantly higher for weapons.

I still lean toward a malfunction / decay kind of haywire effect. Have many possible outcomes without making life unlivable for our technophobe friends. Give every tech a half-decent chance of either being destroyed, emagged, or shutdown for 60 seconds, but also just let things that are nearby the wiz have a small chance at these effects, kind of like some magic osmotic pressure. That way we're nerfing the gunslingers, staying on flavor, and giving a slight buff to the nerf in the form of "hey its free mischief i guess". Sure ID computer gets hard to use, but he can also go around shutting down terminals through sheer incompetent mystical fuckassery- for free.
How about we give the wizard a gun spell or something where they get a super weak gun with one bullet, shoot it, throw it on the ground and get a new one bullet gun.

That would be something I could see a wizard having
(07-09-2017, 04:45 PM)pizzatiger Wrote: How about we give the wizard a gun spell or something where they get a super weak gun with one bullet, shoot it, throw it on the ground and get a new one bullet gun.

That would be something I could see a wizard having

gun of cthulhu. acts like the staff but without the stun/brain damage on hit, but you can shoot people with it, with weak bullets but it doesn't need ammo or to recharge, just continuous fire, with weak bullets. maybe different versions for different types? like, one type does no damage at all but slows a little, one does stam damage, one does more damage and no additional effects, etc
make wizard staffs two-handed weapons (to prevent them from quickly swapping to a gun). Possibly make the staff a Large item that will not fit inside a backpack.
No make more options for fist wizards instead we don't need a GUN spell

Unless it spawned trapped guns
(07-09-2017, 08:57 PM)MyBlueCorners Wrote: make wizard staffs two-handed weapons (to prevent them from quickly swapping to a gun). Possibly make the staff a Large item that will not fit inside a backpack.

This is good. Now wizards will have a reason to take the staff of Cthulhu instead of just carrying twenty thousand spare staffs in their backpack.
As a counterpoint to this entire thread:

Please do not make staffs too big to fit into backpacks, it would pretty much make staff of Cthulhu necessary and that is lame.