Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Penalties for Wizards Using Guns
(07-09-2017, 08:57 PM)MyBlueCorners Wrote: make wizard staffs two-handed weapons (to prevent them from quickly swapping to a gun). Possibly make the staff a Large item that will not fit inside a backpack.

Do this, but also give them a buff

(07-09-2017, 08:58 PM)poland spring Wrote: No make more options for fist wizards instead we don't need a GUN spell

Unless it spawned trapped guns
Add new magic items that act like staffs. A one handed wand that can fit in a pocket, but has a weaker spells or/and longer cooldowns.

Also magic gauntlets that take up the hand slot and let you cast, but spells can backfire when you're holding things
two handed for staves, yes. too big for bags, no. would force all wizards to get staff of cthulhu. taking a wizards staff isnt too debilitating anyway, so people shouldnt complain about wizards carrying spare staffs, no one does that right now anyway. ever since i beat up shitty bill jr with a two handed hammer ages ago ive been waiting for neat two handed stuff
(07-10-2017, 12:29 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote: ever since i beat up shitty bill jr with a two handed hammer ages ago ive been waiting for neat two handed stuff

heh heh

two handed staff would be hard because then I can't carry pipebombs and grenades in one hand and staff in the other, though maybe that is kinda OP...
(07-10-2017, 12:47 AM)zewaka Wrote:
(07-10-2017, 12:29 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote: ever since i beat up shitty bill jr with a two handed hammer ages ago ive been waiting for neat two handed stuff

heh heh

two handed staff would be hard because then I can't carry pipebombs and grenades in one hand and staff in the other, though maybe that is kinda OP...
allow wizards to carry banana grenades or cleaning grenades in their mouth, nothing else
Im not entirely convinced wizards using guns is a problem, but I like the idea of buffing the big staffs and making them two-handed.
The moment the wizard gets its magical mitts on an e-gun is the moment the crew can pretty much give up. Arse nath, laser laser laser, maybe a skeleton for extra rudeness, then shift off to recharge and prepare to gank someone else.

That's just too *efficient* to be a wizard thing, and that's one of the problems I have with gunwizards! Wizards are supposed to be loud, chaotic, capable of inflicting mass havoc and suffering, able to piss off the entire crew with a flick of the Larm, but fragile themselves, lacking much in the way of focused attacks and reliable ways to directly kill a specific crewmember that they want dead.

You could say that Fireball is one of those single-out-and-obliterate specialties, and the classic Empower+Cthulhu+Godmode can be a downright nightmare, keep in mind their other attributes. Fireball has a lengthy cooldown, is fairly inaccurate, can catch the wizard in the blast, and rarely inflicts enough damage to send a healthy crewmember into deep crit. ECG can frick off though; ranged brain damage and stunlocking, even at the expense of 2-3 spell slots, is still pretty hellish.
Give them a chance of spells fizzling or backfiring if they hold a gun or have one in their inventory while casting, somewhat like how Arcanum did.
Magic missiles turn around and chase the wizard, empower horribly weakens the wizard or empowers a random person, rathen's revenge blows off two of the wizard's limbs, bull's charge sends them flying uncontrollably in a random direction, create golem makes the golem hostile to the wizard, teleporting leaves a random part of the wizard's inventory behind, so on and so forth.
If the staff becomes two-handed, won't it be impossible to summon golems while carrying it? Even if how summon works is changed to allow the wizard to summon from things that aren't in his hand, it'd greatly slow down golem-summoning.
(07-10-2017, 06:16 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Im not entirely convinced wizards using guns is a problem, but I like the idea of buffing the big staffs and making them two-handed.

The second I see cluwnes running everywhere and a fireballing wizard running around with a stun gun is the second I find the nearest garbage disposal and run into the crusher.

Killing myself is more fun that dealing with that.
(07-10-2017, 10:15 AM)Paineframe Wrote: If the staff becomes two-handed, won't it be impossible to summon golems while carrying it? Even if how summon works is changed to allow the wizard to summon from things that aren't in his hand, it'd greatly slow down golem-summoning.

That's why suggested changing only the large staffs.

Just to annoy people, make them unable to use guns but add a new spell that lets the wizard summon guns into their empty hands that can't be recharged and are just discarded after use. Holding a staff halves the cooldown but only allows the summoning of one.
here to shill my magnificent idea to relegate gun wizards to having to use a spell to let them use guns (convert e-gun into wizard e-gun that doesnt work for anyone else but wizards) instead of making staves twohanded
(07-05-2017, 08:01 PM)medsal15 Wrote: Bring a new wizard hidden spell: Technomancy. So wizards who choose this can still use guns.

(07-06-2017, 03:42 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: i think this should apply to stuff like stun batons or flashes too

maybe have a spell that would allow the wizard to convert them into special wizard-only versions 

transmogrify the taser into a functionally-identical-to-a-taser mini-magic missile launcher

(07-10-2017, 11:40 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: here to shill my magnificent idea to relegate gun wizards to having to use a spell to let them use guns (convert e-gun into wizard e-gun that doesnt work for anyone else but wizards) instead of making staves twohanded

this was suggested twice, one of which was BY YOU
(07-11-2017, 12:07 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 08:01 PM)medsal15 Wrote: Bring a new wizard hidden spell: Technomancy. So wizards who choose this can still use guns.

(07-06-2017, 03:42 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: i think this should apply to stuff like stun batons or flashes too

maybe have a spell that would allow the wizard to convert them into special wizard-only versions 

transmogrify the taser into a functionally-identical-to-a-taser mini-magic missile launcher

(07-10-2017, 11:40 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: here to shill my magnificent idea to relegate gun wizards to having to use a spell to let them use guns (convert e-gun into wizard e-gun that doesnt work for anyone else but wizards) instead of making staves twohanded

this was suggested twice, one of which was BY YOU

it was just so magnificent i had to post it twice
Why not just make wizards unable to use guns, or give them a big clumsiness-style backfire chance when used by a wizard, or make a gun interfere with spellcasting in the same way that not having a staff would?

The big problem is that the wizard can fuck with the movement of everyone around them OR straight-up turbofuck someone who can't move well enough to avoid it, but their ability to combine them is restricted by cooldowns. A gun can easily act as a cooldown-free replacement for either one of those spells. That way, instead of magic-missiling a crowd, hitting a couple of people with spells, and then bailing out, the wizard can magic-missile a crowd and then unload into them with a shotgun.