Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
State Of The Goonion - Creating Fun
Information 
Hello again players of this glorious spaceman fart game. Today I'd like to talk to y'all about some topics that have both been brought up in the responses to the May Goonion, and that are being discussed amongst the community.

Fun Stuff we're working on:
  • Ingame Player Survey Tool - For getting feedback directly from the players.
  • New Gamemodes - Strange Structures? Mysterious technology? SpoOoOoOooky.
  • New Maps - You might've tried out Linemap by Quiltyquilty so far.
  • New Adventure Zones - No promises.
  • Lots of bugfixes - Seriously, plenty of bugfixes to go around.

Interacting with the Staff
In the last Goonion, some players asked how they can effectively communicate with the staff (especially the coders) to help bring their attention to something they feel that is of value. A big problem with getting new features implemented, polished, and bug-free is motivation and time. We don't pay any of our staff, so everyone's time spent working on features and fixes is a labour of love and passion for the project. Because of this, much of the major code projects are personal projects. Get coders interested in your idea! However, that doesn't mean that you just need to talk to coders on staff. Talk to the community as well. Or, pick up coding yourself to make your idea come true. There's always #imcoder on SynIRC if you have questions about the feasibility of an idea. Furthermore, don't get discouraged if a part of the code that you want to work on is out of date in the latest code release. Ask the coders on IRC, and most of the time we'll be able to work with you and provide code snippets and samples of how the code currently works.

Testing and Polish
We here at Goonstation are big fans of Quality over Quantity. We might not have as many features as other servers, but we sure make up for it in quality and polish. It doesn't stop after a feature is implemented, though. A big part of the codebase is continuous bugfixing and improvements. We don't really put those in the changelog unless they affect the players, but we're just letting you know we're always working towards having the best quality server we can have. As some players might've learned in the past with the release of Cogmap2, we sometimes have small beta tests of maps or features on a test server. The problem with having a test server open to the community is that it would draw away players who play on the normal server, as people always want to play with the latest and greatest toys. However, if you really want to test some stuff, coders generally get IRC folks to test things if we need people.

LLJK1 - Goon RP
The initial idea was that Destiny was going to be able to visit new places and move location to location. However, it's a lot of work to get code for that working. Right now, we're considering a sort of system that involves dropships or pods that would go down to the planet surface from the ship, rather than landing the whole thing. Hopefully we can make that idea come true someday.
as for interacting with staff it might be worthwhile to know which coder likes what kind of stuff 

so if i were to suggest something to someone id at least want to make sure it's something that might interest them
Good post! I have nothing to add! I am helping make some of these things in minor ways, woo!
As far as getting the community more involved in coding goes, I think posting a comprehensive guide to making git not suck would be a great addition.

Half of the effort in one of my typical patches is dedicated to crying myself to sleep after git refuses to do what I want for the fifteenth time in a row.
Drop ships are probably the way to go. Gives you more room for the map, and creates a stronger sense of prep as you load up the smaller ship with gear.

Kinda like X-Com ground missions
Cool!

The new features and ideas being considered/worked on are sounding pretty exciting!
(07-02-2017, 06:29 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: As far as getting the community more involved in coding goes, I think posting a comprehensive guide to making git not suck would be a great addition.

Half of the effort in one of my typical patches is dedicated to crying myself to sleep after git refuses to do what I want for the fifteenth time in a row.

I second this. I don't really code much but I'd probably feel more confident in doing so if github wasnt this opaque, unsolvable riddle. I'm sure people who's jobs it is to program understand it but hobbyist nerds need the help, yknow.
Regarding you lot and git woes, hit me up on IRC if you want a brief talk through the common git workflow for getting your changes nicely available for us coders to patch in.
(07-01-2017, 06:36 PM)zewaka Wrote: LLJK1 - Goon RP
The initial idea was that Destiny was going to be able to visit new places and move location to location. However, it's a lot of work to get code for that working. Right now, we're considering a sort of system that involves dropships or pods that would go down to the planet surface from the ship, rather than landing the whole thing. Hopefully we can make that idea come true someday.

I mean, if FTL could do it, how hard could it be it's gotta be possible for our goonions, right?

This looks like it would be pretty neato.
Lightbulb 
Technature Wrote:
zewaka Wrote:LLJK1 - Goon RP

I mean, if FTL could do it, how hard could it be it's gotta be possible for our goonions, right?

This looks like it would be pretty neato.

The issue with FTL is it being open source and us being closed source, also due to the fact that we are coded very differently from the FTL base code, which is /tg afaik, meaning it's not just as simple as drag and drop.

What could work is the following: You'd have some sort of machine (a pilot computer for example) to travel to a planet. You then could warp (ala escape shuttle dynamics) to the planet. The planet could be represented as a large turf tile which is simply just a aesthetic background object for players to observe (exactly like the sol sun). Travelling to the planet could simply pop up on the teleport computer, triangulating the co-ords would be unnecessary nerd wall.

Thoughts:
- The dining z-level and the adventure zone z-level would be completely cleared and replaced with multiple areas. Both z-levels remain static, but actually getting to them would be randomized round as per the pilot computer. The sol areas would be gutted and sections reused in the various new areas.
- Sol items, including keys, would be placed in these areas. Key placement could be randomized too, to keep it fresh.
- Sol/nanotrasen could then be an end-goal after travelling to various planets. This I'm not really fussy about, just an observation.
- The pilot computer would preferably have forked options. Travel to planet A, or planet B? The planets would have vague descriptions as to what it is, using a quantum telescope reveals more.
- The ship z-level would RND spawn asteroid to mine per planet arrived, including other random bits. The mining magnet would therefor become irrelevent (to a mild applause)

Implementation/critique:
- Many would not like the z-level to be cleared to make room for medium-small sized zones. If it's the easiest way to create 20-30 new places to explore and encourages a PvE environment then I say to hell with those people.
- The using warp drive travel escape shuttle style could run into probems in code. I don't know if moving simulated things works like the escape shuttle, would the oxygen move too? Would it be too laggy to move an entire ship at once? Would it be just easier to code it so all the space tiles become warp tiles when in transit, and all edge tiles become gib tiles? Would solve the below issue.
- Moving from one planet to another, what happens if someone is stranded on the ship z-level and then the ship jumps? Technically the ship isn't really "moving" anywhere, it's just "warping" ala escape shuttle, but unlike the escape shuttle it would come back to the same area, just with the asteroids (and planet in the background) randomized/changed respectively. A dodgy fix for this would be to port all players into the warped zone when the ships jumps, giving them a visual warning beforehand. This would mean you could be gibbed if you're not in the ship before it jumps, although this isn't really such a bad thing?
- Being stranded on the planet z-level wouldn't have the aforementioned problem. Perhaps have an option to travel backwards with some form of penalty?
- This would make great use of the mapping subforum, as new areas could be made (with secrets omitted at the behast of the mapper).
- Probably the most important critique; this would probably not solve the server pop, which is averaging at a healthy zero as of now.
We're well into an Ideas/Suggestions thread with this stuff, let's keep that discussion somewhere else. Totally cool conversation to have, just not the right place for it.
Point well taken.

Also I'd rather not post this barely coherent ramble as an idea unless you feel it stands on its own feet, I was just brainstorming in work. Clearly my job doesn't give me enough work to do.
oh hey another of these is coming soon probably BTW

We're definitely looking into Sundance's suggestions mentioned earlier, though.