Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hufflaw? I think? LLJK2
Admin: I think Hufflaw? Gannets was in round but not talking or anything so they were probably AFK chilling
Server: LLJK2
Date/Time: Earlier today, I can't remember when exactly!
Synopsis: After starting into a brand new round as sec, I prayed something about wanting to be a cowboy. The admin response to this was to send a gibshark to chase me for the entire round. I know, gibsharks are slow and avoidable, but not when you often have to AFK and hide in a locker to talk to people/tend to stuff. It's fairly innocuous but I think granting someone a death sentence in an already stressful job is pretty bunk.
Other info: This came right after a spy round where an admin turned everyone's arms into Elimbinators, so I was already in kind of a bad mood. I got an antag token, don't worry!
this is probably peanut posting but i was in a round with them^ and yeah i can see how the gibshark was funny once upon a time but most of the time it's just a slow, unavoidable death. also, in the round i was in, they experienced a bug when the shuttle arrived, i think, where they got dumped into an ai shell's body somehow, while a changeling in a changeling body, and the shell got destroyed by the shuttle so when they rejoined they were an observer, and just completely gone. sounds like a super shitty day. gibsharks should time out, or be used predominately as punishment
I honestly have no idea what happened with the body switching/C key losing and am happy to chalk it down to Byond ????, but I agree on the gibshark stuff for sure.
Yes this was me, as to my logic: well prayers are a crap-shoot as to what you'll get, I can see why you would not like that but it's not a very tenable adminning position to not do literally whatever when someone prays, that's the entire point of prayers.

As an aside: I actually sent another gibshark with the exact same speed towards another guy in the same round when he prayed and he somehow managed to uh, not only survive it but bug it in a way that it wasn't chasing him anymore.

Anyway prayers are meant to be an invitation for admin abuse/rewards, the popup when you pray even tells you this, so I can't really stop using it in the way it was intended to be and still keep the crazy nature of prayers intact. If you had enough of admins fucking you up then you really shouldn't use prayers.
I'd just like to apologise for that preceding elimbinator round (that was my fault) before I continue, that was wrong and I should not take out frustrations of a long day and a couple players screaming at me by taking it out on all players on the round. In retrospect I should have just fucked with the players who were causing the problems and left it at that. (Sidenote, I got antag tokens to some but not all of the traitors for that round because some of them voiced their displeasure and immediately logged out, preventing me from giving them any antag tokens. If that was you, and I know who you are, please contact the admin team for an antag token when you're next logged in!)

Now, back to the topic: I've always been in the understanding that a prayer is an open invitation for an admin to do whatever the fuck they feel like to you. I know I've perhaps been too generous with giving people what they wanted in the past and set up this misleading expectation that prayers will get you what you want, but I know I've been switching it up a little myself after seeing certain players I will not name here taking advantage of my good will and pleading for the same thing round after round after round.

In short I second what Hufflaw said. If you don't want to risk the wrath of admins on your head, rethink using the prayer command. If you feel the need to say things out into the empty ether you can always just whisper when no one's around or write it on a piece of paper, yeesh.

I will say personally I tend towards not hitting instant death buttons when answering prayers myself but there's no set in stone rules that admins have to abide by when prayers are involved!
(07-01-2017, 06:11 AM)Cirrial Wrote: (Sidenote, I got antag tokens to some but not all of the traitors for that round because some of them voiced their displeasure and immediately logged out, preventing me from giving them any antag tokens. If that was you, and I know who you are, please contact the admin team for an antag token when you're next logged in!)

I already gave the person an antag token.
(07-01-2017, 06:11 AM)Cirrial Wrote: I've always been in the understanding that a prayer is an open invitation for an admin to do whatever the fuck they feel like to you.

Yeah, that's been my understanding as well. However, if someone makes a funny prayer, does a cool sacrifice, or something else that's interesting and unique I'll probably consider giving them their wish rather than giving them plasma farts and dragon disease.
When you use the prayer command, you take your very fucking soul in your hands.  This has been the case for ages and it isn't changing on my watch.
I'm just going to not play SS13 for a good while so this can be ignored thanks.