Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Raid boss random event
The station recieves an announcement that a nearby space station has sent then a crate of valuable artifacts/old junk.

The choice is simple:

Sell the crate for a pretty good value (the responsible choice)

Open the crate and commence the quest to trigger the raid boss that will probably kill an unprepared crew (THE FUN CHOICE)

Upon opening this crate, they find some puzzle pieces consisting of 

A paper full of riddles suggesting where to put the pieces of the puzzle (e.g "The first piece shall enter a room of owls")

An order of sequences on which pieces to activate first.

Once the crew has tackled activating all the pieces, I suggest some portal pops up in the center, and bad guys pop out that the crew has to kill.

Round 1 is short and weak sauce. Once all these guys die, an announcement occurs stating that that was just an exploration crew and there's more on the way. (Assuming the crew is stupid and kills them, that's grounds for military action, otherwise maybe they serve as traders for rare gear)

Round 2 is a little bit harder, but not too much. (some vague announcement about it being "scouts for a military strike")

Round 3 is kinda difficult (" actual alien ground troops")

Round 4 is when the raid boss drops into the station. ("Their general is reaching the station")

Once the Raid boss dies, an announcement occurs that the alliums in question have surrendered, and have given the crew a box of sweet loot as compensation.

I figure you could throw in some additional requirements to make it more or less difficult depending on crew size, but the jist of it is something the crew can either say NO DON'T DO IT, Let's see what loot they want to sell us, or YES LETS FIGHT.
I have no idea what this is suggesting.
(07-03-2017, 08:30 AM)Sundance Wrote: I have no idea what this is suggesting.

my intention was something similar to an MMO, where a bunch of players can trigger a boss fight by doing a thing.

Rather then a random event where some random thing happens (like a merchant popping up), it's a random event where you can keep prodding at it in order to have more things happen.

I guess I probably should've been more specific.

Maybe the idea was terrible or not well written  shrug

Also giving the players the option to summon a robust NPC on the station because they want a challenge is probably a terrible idea, but it seemed like a fun suggestion at the time.
Sounds like disaster-lite with a much simpler bad-sol to trigger it, and might function as a cool intro to some of the more story-rich elements of the map, but I feel like people are just going to start complaining about "raid nerds" by the third round.
Yeah, something like this can easily hijack a round out of whatever is going on at the time.

I think it would be better if a single player (or group of players) had a specific area they could go to where Mobs couldn't leave and players couldn't accidentally wander in when shit is going down.  This could be difficult to implement though...

Something as simple as pushing a button that shuts the only door in and spawns baddies could be used for this purpose.
Summoning boss fights sounds more like an off station, adventure zone thing.
what if you activate the wierd artefact thing with the mining magnet and the raid stays within those bounds or something
There are a couple issues with it, for separate reasons.

Artifacts are activated via randomness, be it touching it as human or robo, beating it, heating or cooling it, radiating it, etc. The vast majority of it is not easily accessible in mining, and scientists will probably not want to touch that. This can be fixed by making it so that specific artifact can only be set to activate via touch.

Newbies (or hell, people who just wanna mine) are put at risk with this idea, since they may accidentally unleash what would basically be an apocalypse unprepared. This could be fixed in itself by displaying a gigantic pop up asking if they're sure they want to do that (You have a feeling something REALLY bad is going to happen if you touch this. Are you sure? [Yes] [FUCK NO]).

Not everyone with easy access to mining (miners) may want to do anything with this, which isn't good for a job with multiple job slots. There isn't an easy way to fix this, and the only real solution relies on people asking if they can touch the artifact. Something like this could be used by antags, griefers, and people pretending (or acting like) they're overly curious children.

Finally, this seems like it might be a bit much to code. I can't say for sure myself, but I'm not sure making baddies that stick around the mining magnet that attack players would be possible, let alone easy (keep in mind hostile mobs default to chasing players for some time after they stop seeing them).

It just seems like it would be less work to put something like this off the station where no one can bring it back with them.
SUMMON MACHO MAEN
What if instead of bringing the fight to the station, pushing the buttons the game gives you allows you to summon a ship that will bring you to a gladiator field.

The station still could recieve some kind of puzzle to "prove worthyness" but the fight doesn't kill the entire crew, just those stupid enough to enter the ship.

I think of "artifact" as a series of big items that could be turned on and off, not real artifacts.

Basically just a series of homing beacons that the crew can turn on and off in the right spot to alert the ship that will take them to combat should they accept.

Accepting the challenge could give the camera network a new set of cameras where others can watch the dudes die or win.

Upon winning, they can take their swag back to the station on the ride home.