Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[Rework] Wraith
This is a massive list of things to do to make the Wraith better. The Wraith can, at the moment, only be stopped by spreading a bunch of salt and beating it up a few times. This however, makes the wraith have something to protect and allows the dead to get revenge beyond the grave...

HOW TO MAKE A WRAITH 101:

No more Random Antagonist Events or Starting Wraiths, instead...
To be a wraith, you must follow these restrictions:
No Suicide Attempts.
Have a body that is not gibbed on death.
You must have been alive for over 10 minutes.

If all of these are good, then you MIGHT be a wraith. Probably a very small chance to be one though.

FIGHTING THE WRAITH:

This is a big problem, as of now we only have salt.
However, this rework would add so much more.

SALT still makes the wraith manifest, if you kill the Wraith, it loses all of it's power, drops a random limb that belongs to that wraith's body.
Use ECTOPLASM on an OUIJI BOARD to make a Ethereal Tracker. Put a limb on it and it will track that person. It will, in this case, track the Wraith's body.
Wraith cannot generate any power in the CHAPEL.
GHOST GUNS make the wraith drop a random limb and some ectoplasm.
HOLY WATER acts as invisible, unscuffable salt (stolen from somewhere else) and forces the Wraith inside of a manifestation if splashed onto a manifested wraith (whether in object, body, or haunt). If the Wraith dies like this, it loses all of it's power, drops a random limb, and ectoplasm.
AI and CYBORGS can see the Wraith. Along with that, all over ELECTRONICS notice it to. Beepsky will go after it and try to stun it (can't because ghost), medibots will try to heal it, Firebots will try to extinguish it, ect.
If the Wraith's BODY exits the Z-Level or Gibs, it will appear in a random non-space spot on the map, and the Wraith will have it's Level reset to one.
Can combine Ectoplasm with Items to make them SPIRITUAL. SPIRITUAL items will be used on ghosts (can't kill a ghost, but you can feed it a cookie.) If that's too much work to code, then it can only be used to attack the Wraith with. Stun Baton it and then smack it with a fire extinguisher. Just remember, Spiritual Items cannot be used on physical things! If the wraith dies like this once, the chat will get a loud message saying it has weakened and it will appear back at it's body with no power and back at level 1. If it dies like this again, then all paranormal activity will cease as the Wraith is truly dead.
QM can order a ghost busters kit for 30,000, it has one gun and one goggle pair. Alternatively, order a BIBLE and HOLY WATER for 5,000.
Plants give obvious messages and start to lose health
Robotics can combine an arm and a bible (any type) to make a ChaplainBot, which will prevent the Wraith from gaining Power if it's nearby, along with that it will quote bible passages from the Great Space Bee Above.

Finally, to kill a wraith (the proper way), get a coffin and a bible. Put the Wraith's Corpse into the Coffin (will be hard) and click the Coffin with the Bible. You will be doing this for 1 minute, and have to stay still. The Wraith will be forced over and cannot manifest in any way, instead having to try to knock you down with minions or COMMAND or stuff. Decay is also blocked during this to prevent just having you fall over. Best bring allies to help distract the minions. If you last the entire minute, the Wraith enters level 0, where they're basically a ghost that can make lights turn off. That counts as killing it, as it can't do much anymore. If anything.

HOW TO FIGHT AS A WRAITH:

So now that there is an actual way to fight wraiths, let's get in with Wraith Levels.

Instead of having all powers at start, the Wraith is split into levels where it gets stronger and stronger.

Level 1:
Polterguist: All of the currently available polterguists.

Strider: Enter your own corpse with the disadvantages of a Revenant. No powers or buffs provided.

Vengence: Level to stage 2.

Level 2:
Polterguist Addition: Ruin: Makes all nearby things have wires randomly cut.

The base Command, Skeleton, and Decay.

Strider Upgrade: Can now use Mass Command in this form and has the passive buffs of a revenant.

Betrayal: Level to level 3.

Level 3:
Polterguist Addition: Chill: Lower Temperature on square to slow walk tier, along with anything on it.
Polterguist Addition: Pulse: Nearby radios stop functioning for several seconds.

The Base Possess Item, Animate Item, Revenant, and Whisper.

Corrupt: Makes a room evil, having Polterguists randomly happen in it every few minutes. Wraith and Haunts have double power generation here.

Darkest Wish: Makes the selected ghost into a mini-wraith, letting them be able to use the weakest form of polterguist (the base polterguists we have now)

Strider Upgrade: Acts like a full revenant now.

Pain: Levels you up to level 4.

Level 4:
Polterguist Addition: Ethereal Tears: Makes random spots covered in Space Lube and Ectoplasm.

Strider Upgrade: Has a permanent form of the Wizard's Empower.

Command is upgraded to Mass Command.
Skeleton is now like the Wizard's immortal super skeletons.
Decay now stuns for longer.

Darkest Wish Upgrade: Haunts can now possess objects and use max-level polterguists (level 4)

Wraith: Double the health and double the health regeneration.

Corrupt Upgrade: Corrupted areas now have the Max Level Polterguist pool as well, and also randomly animates items in it every several minutes.

Level 5:
Level 1 Polterguist. You only get here if you fucked up and had the ritual performed on you. No getting out of this. All haunts disappear if this happens.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Sorry if this is horribly formatted. Anyway, this is good for numerous reasons:
1. Gives more ways of attacking the Wraith.
There are now two ways to defeat it, one is the traditional beat it up which will be hard. Another will be a ritual which isn't that complex but makes an annoying, farty ghost moving around haunting the halls.
2. Gives Dead Chat more interaction.
Ghosts can become Haunts, which while underwhelming are still likely to be a little fun to be.
3. More Common Wraiths.
Wraiths are made much more common! 
4. Coders can decide how long the Cooldowns and costs of these are.
I have a page filled with the Cooldowns and Costs, but I decided to exclude it so others can post what they think each power should cost.
I'm a fan of this, despite never seeing a wraith round before this seems fun and fair. Only problem I see is the "spawn conditions", since I'm averse to anything that could encourage intentional suicides (spacing etc). Maybe have it only be ghosts who died of murder, if there's any way to track that?
If there's a way to track that, then I definitely would make that a condition.
For now I tried to make them as suicide-proof as possible.
Ooh, I love the idea of a corrupted area just perpetually doing evil shit rather than having to spam poltergeist on it. More poltergeist variety is nice. I always felt that wraiths kind of peaked in terms of actual interest very quickly since the cooldowns limit what you can do even with a huge amount of spookypoints
Requiring an intact corpse seems like a bad idea to me, as it's incredibly common for peoples bodies to get gibbed, disintegrated, eaten, or reclaimed upon death, other than that this idea for changes seems pretty great.
looks good, except that it's poltergeist, not polterguist
I am guessing the "Stolen from someone else" bit is a reference to my old over-complicated wraith rework threads?
(06-30-2017, 01:46 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: I am guessing the "Stolen from someone else" bit is a reference to my old over-complicated wraith rework threads?

Yes.

Also if your body is gibbed, reclaimed, devoured, or whatever AFTER you die that is fine, as it will respawn somewhere. Just try not to be blown up or eaten or something whilst still alive.

Along with that, it could help a murderboning traitor make sure there are no vengeful spirits after them if they make sure the bodies aren't together.
Whatever happened to that one wraith thread that suggested different angry ghosts based on the way the person died

oh here it is
What would a motives-based death make?
(06-30-2017, 11:59 AM)awfulworldkid Wrote: What would a motives-based death make?

It depends on the motive. Can you list them for me here, I forget what they are
Piss Ghost is one of them though, or a ghost that causes others' motives to decay (hunger, thirst, makes messes, creates pee everywhere)
Why does the spawn system have to be somehow more awful than the existing one?
(06-30-2017, 07:23 PM)Berrik Wrote: Why does the spawn system have to be somehow more awful than the existing one?

The existing one is pray you get Wraith once every year.

This one will make Wraith more common.
Why can't wraith's current rate be just bumped up?
Because it doesn't have enough ways to fight it. This introduces several new ways, with the requirement of having a body.