Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Material Molds
Basic premise:
You put a mold in a machine and supply it with material and it makes a version of the item in the mold that is made of the material you put in there.

Where you could get molds:
A machine that makes molds when you put items in and get a mold of it
Traitor uplink
Debris field
Around station
Adventure zones
Qm
Locked crates

What there could be molds of:
Melee weapons
Secret stuff (keys?)
Simple solid objects like wrenches
Butts
Armor

Why you should implement this:
Better playtesting of material science
More stuff for miners to play with
So coders can brag when they make something compatible with the materials system
Butts made of gold infused with thc
I agree with this idea.

I was suggesting handmade imprints but your idea of a machine that does it sounds better from a spriting angle. Although Molds will probably require some really generic sprite to avoid needing to be specific. Actually you could also reuse the workbench for the molding process.
I suggested something similar to this once, a while back, the general reception was positive although I can't recall Keelin's specific input

I would very much like this, including making collections of fake solarium keys to be a nerd, gilded/jewelled butts, and so on.
(06-25-2017, 02:06 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: I agree with this idea.

I was suggesting handmade imprints but your idea of a machine that does it sounds better from a spriting angle. Although Molds will probably require some really generic sprite to avoid needing to be specific. Actually you could also reuse the workbench for the molding process.

It could have the sprite of two molds that face each other with a hole to pour the material in
Edit:
Sorry if I took your idea as I was unaware of it,

(06-25-2017, 02:11 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I suggested something similar to this once, a while back, the general reception was positive although I can't recall Keelin's specific input

I would very much like this, including making collections of fake solarium keys to be a nerd, gilded/jewelled butts, and so on.

I feel I owe you a full reply, if you feel you have been wronged by me or feel you deserve recognition in some way, or some other problem, I am fine to resolve the issue in a civil discussion.
Nah, I mean I suggested handmolds as an addendum to your idea but quickly edited my comment as I realize your suggestion sounded easier from a coding standpoint. You didn't take anything, I just didn't fully read and comprehend your post. My original addendum was to add clay or something and let people physically create clay molds as a way to create molds for your machine, but then I reread your comment and adding stuff to a machine (especially workbench) sounds way easier unless it's a secondary flavor feature.

Basically my thought process went something like this

> Oh cool, molds

> We should totally be able to make them by hand with clay and stuff

> Oh wait they suggested having a machine do it.

So I did a ninja edit but didn't clarify that it was a ninja edit.

I have no idea which thread nystyxx is talking about but I think it's totally possible that people can come up with similar ideas. In my case I edited my original comment but didn't clarify enough.

I still think Ghetto molding using a welder and some mallable material could be fun if a lil dangerous alternative to using the workbench or another machine. Maybe with a "Hand Crafted" tag.
Butt molds? Does this mean gold butts?
(06-25-2017, 07:44 PM)medsal15 Wrote: Butt molds? Does this mean gold butts?

(06-25-2017, 12:57 PM)Newtonsolo Wrote: Butts made of gold infused with thc

I really like this idea but I feel like an immediate headache would be figuring out what would work in a mold. A big whitelist of items that work would be a hassle, but in contrast, being able to mold-ify anything and being able to make syreline brain assemblies or whatever would be a bit silly.
This would also massively increase the variety of items which can be made out of soulsteel. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
(06-25-2017, 10:42 PM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 07:44 PM)medsal15 Wrote: Butt molds? Does this mean gold butts?

(06-25-2017, 12:57 PM)Newtonsolo Wrote: Butts made of gold infused with thc

I really like this idea but I feel like an immediate headache would be figuring out what would work in a mold. A big whitelist of items that work would be a hassle, but in contrast, being able to mold-ify anything and being able to make syreline brain assemblies or whatever would be a bit silly.
Well the only objects that could realistically be molded are ones that are fairly simple and don't have internal circuitry or moving parts so it would be a pretty short list