Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Major Issues with Selling Refined Gold
If you take a gold nugget, refine it with a material processor, the resulting gold bar will sell for a measly credit when shipped, not the market price of gold ingots, and NPC traders will refuse to buy them. I'm not 100% sure if this bug occurs on cogmap2, with or without the export sticker, but I do remember some similar complaints from others.

However, gold bars from abandoned crates, heirloom gold bars, bars from safes, etc., WILL sell for market price, and they CAN be accepted by traders.
this has been a bug for a while now. pretty annoying on the rare occasion i play as a human, and that human isn't clown, and that human is qm
It's because of dupe bugs. Even if they are old.
This is also true of gold made by using Midas Touch on a bar of a different material.

I think it might be because gold bars found in crates and such are a different item from the kind produced by materials.
I think they should be merged somehow since duping stuff is not nearly so prevalent in materials anymore
Miners need reasons to do what they do, if you find gold there should be a paycheck in it for you
Eh there are still like 4 dupe bugs but yeah, same with weed thing
Reviving my old thread to affirm that, yes, this this is still occuring more than a year later, and that it also occurs with bars made from gold scrap.
To be fair, if every regular gold bar sold for the average market price of ~35k credits each, the market would crash.
Who gives a shit if people mass produce gold bars. How is that any worse than some nerd spending 20 minutes sitting at a slot machine until they get the jackpot?
(12-02-2018, 07:42 PM)Berrik Wrote: Who gives a shit if people mass produce gold bars. How is that any worse than some nerd spending 20 minutes sitting at a slot machine until they get the jackpot?

The issue is that powergaming miners would just sell the gold bars to B.O.B. then make an artillery pod.

Besides, a jackpot is still incredibly rare: a lot rarer than large gold deposits in asteroids.
After some testing, I've found that most of the bugs here also occur on the 2016 public release. Took a gold nugget, put it in a reclaimer, and I couldn't sell the resulting gold bar to neither any of the NPC merchants nor to the QM market. So whatever's causing this, some amateur coder could make a patch to change it. I think it's an issue with the object paths; the gold that's accepted is item/material_piece/gold while the one that isn't is just item/material_piece.
I believe the issue lies in the fact that the gold ingots you find are pre-spawned, whereas processed bars are simply a general matsci bar item.

Examine text for gold ingot: "Dag. It is made of gold. It is very shiny."

Examine text for processed gold bar: "Some sort of processed material bar. It is made of gold. It is very shiny."