Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gavel and Block "ORDER IN THE COURT!"
This has been suggested before, and i'm almost certain it has been sprited before.

I was reminsing on the Trial of Sundance Feely and I felt like the major problem with holding a trial is the levels of noise. Damn bunch of hooligans talking over each other, it's very hard to pay attention to what's actually going on. On that occassion however, there was a bunch of respectable people whispering, which got me thinking.
So here's a very simple suggestion for noise control:

The Gavel and Block. It's in the courtroom. For the clueless, it's a wooden hammer and a solid piece of wood which makes a dull noise when hit. The gavel is chained to the block, so you can't run off with it. It can't be "scanned" and the unit itself cannot be moved.

How it works: Hitting the block will make an audible noise, showing a big red text who hit it. Hitting it will cause everyone in the FOV to switch from normal speech to whisper. The whisper effect lasts for a few minutes before wearing off. That's pretty much it. Almost. There's a whitelist as to who can actually override this, and it's yes, it's purposefully rife for abuse. Yes players will probably be annoyed by the fact they've been silenced. That's the point, anger, whether it be fiegned or real makes a great courtroom.

The Whitelist:
Anyone wearing a lawyer or judge clothing:
Anyone wearing these items are immune from this effect, for obvious reasons. "OBJECTION!" Yes this means anyone wearing a lawyer suit could just waltz in and start yelling. Including the clown.
Anyone speaking into a mic: The defense and prosecution stands have anchored mics which can be used for speech, once a player is sitting on that chair.
ANYONE with a mic: To reiterate, anyone with a mic can override. So if you want to protest, you could get a mechanic to set up a mic so you can yell from your little angry soapbox before possibly being lynched.
Anyone with the yelling mutation: For hilarity. Instead of whispering, it switches to "Whispers loudly", meaning you can still be heard.

.. that's about it. Thoughts?
I like this idea a lot, actually. I'd be delighted to see more use of the courtroom and lawyers; some of my best experiences on Destiny have been in courtrooms (that got bombed horribly). Glad you accounted for the possibility of it being moved, since it would Become Bad if people could arbitrarily use it to fuck up all nearby speech, but it totally fits in a courtroom-- one of the only places that would deserve a reprieve from the usual din.

There is still the radio to contend with, but anybody who actually cares to avoid that clutter would take off/turn off their headset. Now, what's the code for that high-glossy gif of the smiley face with a big ol thumbs up?

(also add the gavel noise to brobots, sans its effect, so i can annoy people)
If it gets added to brobots, an emagged brobot should get the effect as well.