Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro-Pickpocketing Suggestion
I think it would be interesting if, instead of putting a "stripped" item on the floor when removed from a person, it went into the hand of the person doing the stripping (assuming that that hand is empty, of course).

Maybe we could also remove stripping people with items in hand. I mean, honestly, how the hell does "Trying to put a baton" on someone take off their jumpsuit? What ungodly baton technique can strip someone of all their gear?

Basically, it'd force you to prioritize what you're stripping and force you to find a secure area by making you strip items one at a time, while also streamlining taking things from people.

Also, I'd like pickpocketing people to possibly be made more stealthy? Maybe emptying someone's pockets (into your hand) could be made to not alert bystanders of what you're doing, and also only alert the person being pickpocketed in unbolded red text that might more easily be missed if it shows up while you're doing something else.

So, in summary, this is two suggestions...

Suggestion One: "Stripping" people should require an empty hand, and put said stripped item in your hand when complete

Pros:
+ Taking things from people is more secure, less chance of bystanders nabbing gear that they're not supposed to have (unless you ripped off their jumpsuit, of course)
+ Stripping people takes longer than 3 seconds and gives people more time to react to being stunned and then laid bare
+ You can take something from someone's hand into your own hand ( "Here, hold this for me!")
+ Makes more sense from a logistics point of view (How do I take someone's pants off with a tomato?)

Cons:
- Taking things from people may become a bit of a chore
- May or may not be hard to code
- Kindof an unnecessary change; I think it'd be cool but this isn't really to "fix" anything in particular

Suggestion Two: "Pickpocketing" people should be less obvious and not announced to anyone but the person being pickpocketing

Pros:
+ Fricken cool. Be a master thief!
+ See above! A MASTER THIEF

Cons:
- Might be hard if not impossible to code
- Again, kindof unnecessary. Not really a "fix" to anything in particular, just something I think would be neat.
It'd take ages to strip corpses for legitimate reasons. Such as looting yourself after the Geneticists clone you and toss your body in the body pile because there's a line.

Would be nice if you could grab the looted item if your hand was empty, though.
agreed, I like the idea a lot but would keep things the same for corpses, or even for completely unconscious (black screen) knocked out folks as well. It would be nice for the Geneticists but also handy to changelings/traitors dealing with a corpse that needs quick processing.
A similar suggestion I have is to make items transferred to another person's free hand move over really quickly. So I can hand someone a taser or food or whatever easily without dropping it on the floor for them.
also, forgot to add, I like this suggestion, but as mozi said, it should probably only work in certain circumstances.

Maybe it should only work if you try to strip one item at a time? If you mass-strip someone(click all their stuff off at once), all the items could fall onto the floor immediately. But if you only take one item, it could go straight to your hand.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:all the items could fall onto the floor immediately

sorry, i actually meant to say 'all the items could fall onto the floor like they do now'.
sorry for triple-posting.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:also, forgot to add, I like this suggestion, but as mozi said, it should probably only work in certain circumstances.

Maybe it should only work if you try to strip one item at a time? If you mass-strip someone(click all their stuff off at once), all the items could fall onto the floor immediately. But if you only take one item, it could go straight to your hand.

I'd kinda like it in general, it seems kinda dumb how someone can score a one-hit K.O. then strip someone of their clothes, gear, ID, and headset in the span of a few seconds with the victim having no way to resist
Yeah but the they can still strip them of all their gear with them having no way to resist. All they have to do is handcuff them. And the one at a time thing just means that both of them are going to be sitting there for ages as one of them slowly has all their gear stolen.

All it's gonna do is make people wait around forever.
Maybe make it so that Resisting stops people from stripping you. That way, if you're just stunned you can make it hard for someone to strip you, but if you're handcuffed or knocked out or dead there's nothing you can do about it.
This suggestion would make things mind-numbingly long and exactly the kind of thing Bay12 would introduce.
Marquesas Wrote:This suggestion would make things mind-numbingly long and exactly the kind of thing Bay12 would introduce.

Bay12?

Dwarf Fortress?
Bay12 runs their own branch of SS13. It tends to sacrifice fun for realism and RP stuff in a really terrible way.
This really does not add anything to the game expect overcomplicating a simple feature as an attempt to add "depth" to the game
Dauntasa Wrote:Bay12 runs their own branch of SS13. It tends to sacrifice fun for realism and RP stuff in a really terrible way.

You're not talking about BS12, right? Because BS12 was created by users of the Bay12 games forum.
ThoseDernSquirrels Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:Bay12 runs their own branch of SS13. It tends to sacrifice fun for realism and RP stuff in a really terrible way.

You're not talking about BS12, right? Because BS12 was created by users of the Bay12 games forum.
roll eyes (sarcastic) Yeah okay whatever