Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PDA redesign
There's an old thread SOMEWHERE about this but I can't find it, but it had some great streamlining of the PDA UI.

Some things I remember
  • A constant header at the top with shortcuts to:
  1. The home menu
  2. Flash light
  3. Crisis button
  4. Messaging
  5. Module activation
But yeah, let's fancy these puppies up and make them easier to use
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=7072

Was it this perhaps?
Yes, thank you. Sundances design deserves to be looked at.
(09-22-2016, 03:26 PM)Sundance Wrote: [Image: u5XnVCA.png]

An extremely rough draft at what I feel could be done with the PDA if it's been given a rework (and pda's are long due a rework)

First off, less navigating. There is no main menu, the above system encourages a farĀ easier response. The system has now been replaced by buttons at the top and the main "forum" takes up most of the screen.
Getting into the buttons:
1. MAILĀ 
Mailing has changed slightly. Clicking the mail button will bring up something like this:
[Image: traY6lD.png]
As you can see, it's assorted now into each department, which you like the previous function, you can mass mail a department. This is slightly revealing, as you'd know who's in what department, but only the crew manifest would state what their specific job is. This way is much easier to navigate.

2. Light. Pretty straight forward. Click to turn on. Click again to turn off. butt

3. The scan function. It's its own independent button now, so if your pda has multiple scanners installed, clicking this button will bring up the menu to change the scanner.

4. Cargo. As it's part of the system, it has its own independent button. This will hopefully encourage people to use cargo more (or if the station becomes a little less item heavy, that'd encourage too I guess)

5. Alert. Again having this on the top will encourage people to use the alert system. I was thinking that perhaps the alert button doesn't need to have 3 different alerts, perhaps if you remove engineering alert (which is never ever used) and amalagamate medical and security, it'd just be a general alert. I also think it'd be funny if there was an accident that you'd get an officer instead, or if it was a traitor that you'd get an unarmed MD.

6. Cartridge. This would basically be "file browser" but with what's on the cartridge. Eg: Robustris, Sec Records, Medical records, ticketing system, etc.

Below all of this is the forums. For simplicity, I feel it should be split into 3:
NEWS: This is controlled by some telecaster doo-hickey, a reporter room of sorts like dions was explaining.
SECURITY: This can be changed in security. I was thinking by some sort telecaster doo-hickey too. One interesting aspect is putting out arrest warrents, taking pictures with the camera and then uploading it.
JOB REQUESTS: Here is where job requests are put. Again they can be fairly basic, but it'd be mainly stuff like "can you help me out with this" or "telescience adventure needed"

And finally open forum where things can be posted. I feel again it's probably best to leave it as open messages rather than threads and stuff like "weed party in botany" and stuff.

Thoughts?

Bb