Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nuclear Reactor Engine
(06-15-2017, 10:56 AM)Berrik Wrote: I can see traitors rewiring the reactor to produce plutonium, so they can chaos dunk the station.

Alternately, just making it melt down and fuck everything up.

60 minutes, 2 rampages, a blob, the AI gone rogue and resetted at least 3 times, and a bunch of random usual shit later, the plutonium core is finally ready.
(06-14-2017, 12:46 PM)misto Wrote: will it be a steam driving nuclear reactor like on earth (ss13 has no problems with shipping loads of water into space as evidence by our pool room) or a thermoelectric/piezoelectric like on real spacecrafts

a pressurized water or supercritical one will probably be best for ss13 because then you can have steam burst/scalding hazard alongside radiation hazard. it will probably actually have a lot in common with our gaseous plasma generator only with horrible steam instead of horrible fire.

and you can feed it with all the radioactive shit that miners dig up. isnt plasmastone radioactive these days? thats perfect, this being a plasma research station

bonus points if this lets us turn the pool into a nuclear engine
Extra bonus points if someone in the crew ends up entering the Nuke engine's radiation chamber because "GIMME SUPERPOWERS"

I once watched someone try to "travel through time" by getting ate by the singularity.
hello yes I am bumping this thread like a dumb nerd because this is a good idea and I like it please don't murder me for necroposting

Also, it might be interesting to add really fine controls and cool setups for the reactor, like being able to set the control rod heights, water pressure, stuff like that, and possibly MOX fuel or breeding plutonium. Also if this were a cargo engine, i would build it.
Yeah, now that we have fluid mechanics, I'd really love to see them come into play with an engine
Also I think it should be possible to build your own reactor, that way someone can try to make bombs or build radiation emitting death traps. Like what David Hahn did in a shed.

It would work well with the theme that engines that can be ordered by cargo can also be used to kill the crew.

Reactor crates should be locked to CE though.
Every yes, get this done!
(12-09-2017, 02:55 PM)fosstar Wrote: hello yes I am bumping this thread like a dumb nerd because this is a good idea and I like it please don't murder me for necroposting

Also, it might be interesting to add really fine controls and cool setups for the reactor, like being able to set the control rod heights, water pressure, stuff like that, and possibly MOX fuel or breeding plutonium. Also if this were a cargo engine, i would build it.

good lord dude what the fuck have you done. why did you make me see this. oh dear, oh dear

perogi, or whoever else, you should hit me up in IRC or discord and we can work through the details

(06-14-2017, 10:55 AM)Gannets Wrote: There was one of these being tested eons ago and we've still got a pile of sprites for it. Pretty sure if we gave this a go in tyool 2017 we'd have to start from scratch though.

Spy had some neat looking nuclear reaction sim tests goin' at one point.

that's particularly good news
(06-16-2017, 08:50 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: bonus points if this lets us turn the pool into a nuclear engine

The pool is the cooling unit, not the engine. [Image: emot-ssh.gif]
there happens to be, i think, a bit of new code that might very well suit a fresh new engine implementation, perhaps code that helps you look at the analytics of the engine, perhaps statistically
I am all for any engine design that lets me try and overclock it in a hideously unsafe way for MORE POWER.
(06-15-2017, 01:28 AM)Gannets Wrote: I must draw the engines.

I'd still be down.
Another thought about nuclear engines: Could give ice in mining a purpose, as a means of refilling a water cooling tank
If the nuclear reactor overheats it should have some really noticeable terrifying alarm klaxons.

That you can cut the lines to, in case you don't like the sound/want everyone to explode. :shhh:
I think we should. I like the idea of bursting pipes and having steam spew out everywhere.