Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nuclear Reactor Engine
The current heat exchange engine is boring! The singularity engine is fun but can be disastrous if done wrong. I suggest a third option: Goonstation's very own nuclear reactor! It would add an interesting amount of complexity to engineering and also integrate well with the current engine design. As a bonus (I think) we could have the fun possibility of nuclear meltdowns! Which, while hilariously destructive, would be less round-ruining than a loose singularity. 

The code already has a wide range of radioactive and other materials that could be used to construct nuclear reactors of many kinds. For the more conventional and based-on-reality we could have fission reactors or the new experimental molten salt reactors, or for the more sci-fi kind we could have plasma fusion reactors (these would be pretty safe and thus boring though). What's nicest is that nuclear reactors produce electricity through simple heat exchange, so it could be easily integrated by replacing the hot loop with a nuclear reactor, or hooking a nuclear reactor up to the hot loop even. So instead of using the burn chamber or burners to heat gas, a nuclear reactor would be used! Of course this is just an easy option, I think the best bet would be to replace the entire engine with a nuclear reactor. 

Nuclear reactors have lots of fun things to do too! It would add a lot more experimentation and variability in engine setup. Nuclear reactors use different fuels (commonly uranium-235 and 233 and plutonium-239). These fuels can be of various enrichment levels, which could be a feature as well. There are also different kinds of fuel cycles most commonly breeder (which doesn't produce much electricity but produces more fissile material than it consumes) and burner (which can fission heavier, transuranic elements that would otherwise become nuclear waste). Aside from starting them up, nuclear reactors also require maintenance. They must be refueled and depending on the reactor design this can be done while the reactor is still running (online fueling) or it might require the reactor to be shutdown and restarted which is very complicated and dangerous and is what caused the Chernobyl disaster. Fun! Speaking of Chernobyl, I think one of the great features of this would be the potential for catastrophic failure! Reactions must be carefully monitored and control rods manipulated to ensure the reaction stays within that very small sweet spot of perfect delayed criticality (this is mostly done by computers now but could be implemented in lots of ways). Of course there's always the possibility for a traitor to pull the control rods right out and watch the pretty fireworks of a radioactive steam explosion as hot, molten, radioactive slag melts a hole in the hull! 

I think this idea could be integrated well into the code and has a lot of potential for complexity and fun!
There was one of these being tested eons ago and we've still got a pile of sprites for it. Pretty sure if we gave this a go in tyool 2017 we'd have to start from scratch though.

Spy had some neat looking nuclear reaction sim tests goin' at one point.
(06-14-2017, 10:55 AM)Gannets Wrote: There was one of these being tested eons ago and we've still got a pile of sprites for it. Pretty sure if we gave this a go in tyool 2017 we'd have to start from scratch though.

Spy had some neat looking nuclear reaction sim tests goin' at one point.

I've been wanting to do this for quite a while now.
Get to it slacker
My biggest complaint about the TEG is that it doesn't spectacularly meltdown and irradiate half the station, or require much attention after it's been set up. This sounds great.
will it be a steam driving nuclear reactor like on earth (ss13 has no problems with shipping loads of water into space as evidence by our pool room) or a thermoelectric/piezoelectric like on real spacecrafts

a pressurized water or supercritical one will probably be best for ss13 because then you can have steam burst/scalding hazard alongside radiation hazard. it will probably actually have a lot in common with our gaseous plasma generator only with horrible steam instead of horrible fire.

and you can feed it with all the radioactive shit that miners dig up. isnt plasmastone radioactive these days? thats perfect, this being a plasma research station
If we get a nuclear reactor, I want green sludge that mutates you if you touch it
we already have that its called unstable mutagen

the horrible steam explosions can be tainted with it
Excuse me, it should be a blue glow, not a green one I don't know
(06-14-2017, 12:55 PM)misto Wrote: we already have that its called unstable mutagen

Yeah, but I want it to ooze out as an environmental hazard.

Like, the machine makes sludge as a waste product and you have to drain it into lead barrels or else it starts to leak and burst.

Realism be damned, I want TMNT/Troma ooze
(06-14-2017, 05:32 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 12:55 PM)misto Wrote: we already have that its called unstable mutagen

Like, the machine makes sludge as a waste product and you have to drain it into lead barrels or else it starts to leak and burst.

DOUBLE POST
I mean, we've sorta got a fluids system tucked away somewhere? That could be an ooze.

Also, i bet it'd be fun to draw this. Like how I apparently draw every engine. I must draw the engines.
Perhaps it would make the radiation resistance mutation actually more useful.

Imagine running into a wormhole like an idiot, plopping you right into a high rad area and now the crew needs to find somebody with rad resistance, call for a borg or grab a lead suit to fish you out.

On that note, it might be cool if there was a new lead reagent or material that could be made into walls to prevent rad leaks. Imagine a lead foam that somehow protects you from radiation provided you don't eat the stuff. Like a more toxic version of metal foam.
(06-15-2017, 04:46 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: Perhaps it would make the radiation resistance mutation actually more useful.

Imagine running into a wormhole like an idiot, plopping you right into a high rad area and now the crew needs to find somebody with rad resistance, call for a borg or grab a lead suit to fish you out.

On that note, it might be cool if there was a new lead reagent or material that could be made into walls to prevent rad leaks. Imagine a lead foam that somehow protects you from radiation provided you don't eat the stuff. Like a more toxic version of metal foam.

Bohrum is supposed to be a super dense lead alloy according to the wiki, no idea if it's radiation resistant or not.
I can see traitors rewiring the reactor to produce plutonium, so they can chaos dunk the station.

Alternately, just making it melt down and fuck everything up.