Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Hopefully not terrible cog1 security redesign
Star 
[Image: gOUdNUO.png]
Colors: Red: Doors / Brown: Chairs or beds / Dark grey: Lockers / Grey: Tables / Dark Green: Computers / Light green: Plants / Light blue: Windows / Dark blue: One way windows / Orange: Mail / Purple: vending / Yellow: Chutes /  Lavender: Pods / Blue-ish: Misc (see note)

Features:
Main Foyer: The main foyer is expanded upon, to give it a more open welcoming area, with a lounge (the brown is seat, in this instance they are couches, the grey is a table, in this instance it's a glass table). The main foyer is essentially a place where you wouldn't really mind the average staff assistant getting into, which reduces the stress of the average officer. Also includes a front desk.
Parole: Cog1 now features a parole room
Interrogaton: The interrogation room is now brought to the front where it should see more use
"Conflict" Corridor: Security now has a long corridor which eases the flow and creates a choke point for all involved. Essentially makes a great firefight. Also the blue in those are segways, and are purposefully placed there.
Control Room: The security main room is now a control room. Not much has changed from the main room other than the layout, it functions essentially the same, but allows for more things should features ever be expanded
HoS: Functions the same
Weapons: Functions the same
Break Room / Confiscated items: This is just a backroom where security beds are placed, and acts essentially as a divider of the corridor. It's also where confiscated items lockers are located.
Emergency Room: A room equipped for minor medical emergencies. Has a bottle of booze, 2 medipaks, a medical vending machine and some misc medical items.
Podbay / Delivery: It has been amalgamated into one room, due to the fact it's space facing.
Armory: Functions the same (in retrospect should've been expanded to reflect cog2 armory, but oops)

The Brig features and escaping:

[Image: DGgVEPf.png]

Solitary: Functions the exact same as cog2 brig but with a blast door which can open into the main brig for those who are well behaved (or visa versa)
Main Brig: Has a ton of new things. The grey wall bordering the recreation room are actually plant trays. The brig starts with randomized seeds in it, mostly beneficial seeds which can be dispensed via a mail chute (that yellow is actually a mail chute oops). It has two vending machines, one for cards and another for drinks. It also contains hooty, which now acts as a parole warden allowing the prisoners to pay themselves out with prize money from the vending machines, thus contributing to the station (more on hooty later). It also has a one way window for security to spy on prisoner in the hallway.
Recreation room: This is a shared exercise room with various exercise equipment. Due to it having no escape route from that room, it functions for both the prisoner and the officer.
Escape: This was important to the redesign. I wanted it so that it was risky and difficult, but not impossible. There are 4 possible escape routes:

1. If you are on your own, you can escape through the front window. The window enters directly into security main, and sets off a unique alarm. However as there is no disposal chute present immedietely, you'll have to go west to break a window (that arrow should be in the bottom window oops) into the weapon storage or east to enter the foyer and dispense yourself to the main hallway.
2. If you have two people, you can tableflip and smash the window north (again setting off an alarm), then heading into the podbay (smashing another window) and dispensing yourself, stealing a pod or if you have some meds, use the belt hell
3. If you have some form of meds, or are prepared, or have proper ID to open the bridge maint, or you have a deathwish, you can escape into space through the bathroom. Due to the fact it is in a seperate space, this means there is little chance of the entire brig being depressurized.
4. Hooty can be given money to automatically open the parole chute. He will only accept one payee, meaning if two players jump in the chute, it will detect this and spit the other player back out. This is a "good" way of escaping, and can be controlled (and also turned off)

Summary:
In total this redesign divides security into more rooms, making it more secure. It also makes the brig functional and far more fun. It offers a fresh look at security that hopefully tackles the numerous issues that players have.
It reminds me a lot of the security department from shrooms station, which is a very good thing indeed.
:downsbravo:
Nicely done.

• Is the main foyer open to anyone - similar to the visitors' room in the current map?

• There's no way for people to visit their friends and family in jail. That's not a total loss but it's sad for them.

This is a great redesign, Stunpants. Compartmentalized so venting one room won't destroy all of Security and creating a lot of choke points for escaping prisoners to be corralled into and tazed.

I'm excited to see a nuke round in here. That long hallway will be dangerous.

PS: did you know one way windows are sort of a thing or were you hoping to have it implemented?

I once accidentally made some janky one way windows after turning some koshmarite (sp?) into glass sheets and setting up thin windows. Something funky happens. When standing on the same tile the windows were built on, I could see through them; however, I couldn't see through them on adjacent tiles.
The main foyer is not open to everyone, but it acts as an assistant buffer who manages to run in. It's meant to be a more casual inviting foyer that an officer would feel comfortable at letting someone in, rather than the current foyer which is a choke point and is rather uninviting.

There is currently no way to visit family and friends in jail other than actually visiting them in the control room. I felt the visiting room was fashion over function; it looked good but served it's purpose poorly, restricted where the brig had to be (facing a hallway) which also restricted the redesign. Perhaps a middle ground would be some form of gimmicky two way phone?

One way windows ARE a thing, fully functional as you described with the koshmarite. They were no longer used in cog2 (opting for blinds, which is also used in this brig in conjuction), but can be seen in cog1 in the interrogation room. Check it out if ye dont believe me. They're also indestructable afaik, which is why I put them on the brig wall for spying.
(06-13-2017, 06:50 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: It reminds me a lot of the security department from shrooms station, which is a very good thing indeed.

Same! I hope this idea gets used cause the Security Cogmap1 has is awful. Mushroom's Security is my all time favorite Security lobby so anything that tries to do what Mushroom did is a great idea in my book.
I've got a minor suggestion to swap where the Brig rooms are with the control rooms, and to move the interrogation room closer to the brig. Considering that this would put the brig closer to the Bridge hallway/courtroom, you could maybe fit a visitation room in there.

I'll make a little edit to show what I mean later
(06-13-2017, 01:09 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I've got a minor suggestion to swap where the Brig rooms are with the control rooms, and to move the interrogation room closer to the brig. Considering that this would put the brig closer to the Bridge hallway/courtroom, you could maybe fit a visitation room in there.

I'll make a little edit to show what I mean later

I really don't think a visitation room is necessary since no one ever fucking uses it anyway
(06-13-2017, 05:27 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I really don't think a visitation room is necessary since no one ever fucking uses it anyway

i think this could be said of the brig itself
(06-13-2017, 06:16 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i think this could be said of the brig itself

I use the brig. Not the one huge cell but the small one.
Ewww don't start. The reason behind "nobody" using the brig in cog1 is because it's terrible.
It's been concluded in threads of last that security HQ should be encourage all forms of gameplay for security. This is what I was trying with this design, which took influence from mushroom, cog1 and cog2.
..removing the brig honestly panders to nobody and is ass cancer. So quit with the obvious chip on your shoulder.

I welcome any suggestions to improve the current design, but bear in mind of working within the current dimensions of the brig. When I superimposed it, mine went 2 tiles into the west maint, while one tile east into the hallway. This is workable, and I designed the placement of the doors with that in mind. 
Also I really don't think the visitor thing is necessity.
Well this was a poor choice of color

[Image: LLNq29Y.png]

Here's my logic

1. This lets you take a straight shot from foyer to the interrogation room, into the brig. You get a nice little room to take all their gear off and talk to them. I recommend sticking a barber chair and surgery table in that room and having a window with blinds for the psychological effect of pulling someone from the brig for some rough negotiations and closing the blinds so the prisoners still in the brig can imagine what's going on.

2. Control room and weapon storage is a bit more out of the way, meaning someone rushing in to loot the place has to veer up and you get more time to react

3. Hos office is out of the way and now attached closer to armory

4. And now you can use the space where the HOS was as a visitor room, or move the parole room there and use the space where it and the interrogation room was as part of the foyer
....Hmmmm

Moving the HoS room to where the original podbay was (as in the current redesign, I actually shaved off a bit of space) is not a bad idea as it allows for a bunch of space, although it removes his direct access to the bridge. This was never necessary however.

I'll try incorperate your suggestion today. I would need to start toying around with it, such as extending west maint up a little, pulling the parole room back a bit. I'd have to reverse the brig, so that it's mirroring its current form, due to the fact they've swapped places with the control room.

My top concerns (and the main motivation of the redesign) is making the genpop:
1) Functional for officers, not going to fuck them hard like the current brig
2) Functional, but difficult to escape, having at least 3 methods of escape
3) Functional, giving obscure things in the brig that prisoners can either take advantage of to fuck up officers, or use to distract themselves with while their time runs out.

Having a visitor room threads on 2), as it opens it up directly to the hallway. Putting crystal glass, tables and alarm would negate this, but also having a lockdown function that locks down not only the brig but the visitor room (trapping the visitor who may be breaking out the prsioner) could be an option.

To reiterate, all options are on the table once we incorperate these concerns. So more suggestions are welcome
(06-13-2017, 11:23 PM)Sundance Wrote: Ewww don't start. The reason behind "nobody" using the brig in cog1 is because it's terrible.
It's been concluded in threads of last that security HQ should be encourage all forms of gameplay for security. This is what I was trying with this design, which took influence from mushroom, cog1 and cog2.
..removing the brig honestly panders to nobody and is ass cancer. So quit with the obvious chip on your shoulder.

I welcome any suggestions to improve the current design, but bear in mind of working within the current dimensions of the brig. When I superimposed it, mine went 2 tiles into the west maint, while one tile east into the hallway. This is workable, and I designed the placement of the doors with that in mind. 
Also I really don't think the visitor thing is necessity.

the brig on either map is almost always a ghost town. beyond that you are seeing what you'd like from my previous message.

while i find no fault with your design other than it being much too big, i'm a bit skeptical of a few things like the plant trays. unless you plan for people to be permenantly detained in there i just can't see it being used much. the rec room is a bit superfluous as well
This is a pretty nice set up! If the control room and the brig area are gonna get swapped and the HoS' office will be moved up next to the break room, then perhaps the empty area could be used as a some sort of visitation room?

Also I think that the Podbay / Delivery room is gonna need more space, because there simply won't be enough space for the cargo belts otherwise. I'd recommend expanding it a bit to the north and maybe moving the podbay doors on the eastern wall instead?
The one thing I really like about Cog1's security was the large area outside the podbay and genpop, which was very handy for stripping and processing crimers. It has a bench full of medical stuff for prisoner treatment, and a handy chair for strapping guys into to be searched. I'd like to see some sort of open area for prisoner processing, with a large amount of space essential to avoid accidental bumping and breaking pulls. Perhaps the port-a-brig could have it's home set here?

A proper brig medical closet/station would be nice as well, with the outer door accessible to doctors. A couple of medkits and a surgery area is all that'd be needed, and a morgue chute located somewhere in sec would be darkly hilarious.