Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Molotov Cocktails
Why don't we have this already? Seems like an improvised grenade would be good for the traitor on a budget.

Beaker of ethanol in one hand + fabric item (napkin, towel, etc) in the other = Alcohol-Soaked Rag. (Alcohol-Soaked Rag can be squeezed out to produce Ethanol and the food poisoning reagent for alcoholics since who knows what was on the rag.)

Alcohol-Soaked Rag can be combined with a longneck bottle containing any reagent to produce Molotov Cocktail. You can use ethanol, welding fuel, oil, napalm, etc. Or use water if you're a clown! When lit, you better throw it before the wick burns down and ignites the contents, shattering the bottle on your square.

When thrown, it shatters like a bottle on impact and covers anyone and all floors within X squares with the reagent, with the center square on fire to catalyze any fire/explosions.
I mean it's been suggested, just never implemented.

My guess as to why is that putting phlog or ClF3 in a glass will result in roughly the same effect.
(06-13-2017, 01:10 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: I mean it's been suggested, just never implemented.

My guess as to why is that putting phlog or ClF3 in a glass will result in roughly the same effect.

True

I do kinda like the idea just for the sake of flair. Someone throwing bar glasses isn't as visually interesting as someone lighting a bottle on fire, especially if there's a chance it explodes in your hand.
maybe to make it distinct from how cifl and shit function, it could leave a low intensity flame tile that lingers for half a minute, as cifl and phlog tend to be a one-time flame puff and then gone

if its a bottle of pure flammable fuel it should set someone on low or medium intensity fire that is rolled out without too much trouble. in real molotovs, it is important to add a thickening agent to your fuels to help it adhere to a target, and so it should be in game to produce a better bomb. i nominate the motor oil from the oilcans scattered around to be that thickening agent, and to complicate the recipe
(06-13-2017, 04:31 AM)misto Wrote: maybe to make it distinct from how cifl and shit function, it could leave a low intensity flame tile that lingers for half a minute, as cifl and phlog tend to be a one-time flame puff and then gone

if its a bottle of pure flammable fuel it should set someone on low or medium intensity fire that is rolled out without too much trouble. in real molotovs, it is important to add a thickening agent to your fuels to help it adhere to a target, and so it should be in game to produce a better bomb. i nominate the motor oil from the oilcans scattered around to be that thickening agent, and to complicate the recipe

That's just plain old oil, I think.
I always forget how to make napalm until I drink welding fuel.

Anyways, two points for molotovs that I like over the phlog-in-glass method:
1) Alcohol-based fire. Tuck fabric into fresh vodka bottle, light, and throw. Woof.
2) Possible area denial. I always thought it was weird that things like napalm were all flash. No lingering flame. Molotovs could be made to serve the purpose of area denial while requiring more effort than 'dispense and throw'.
(06-13-2017, 07:02 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: I always forget how to make napalm until I drink welding fuel.

1) Alcohol-based fire. Tuck fabric into fresh vodka bottle, light, and throw. Woof.
2) Possible area denial. I always thought it was weird that things like napalm were all flash. No lingering flame. Molotovs could be made to serve the purpose of area denial while requiring more effort than 'dispense and throw'.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! A chem that burns on a tile until it's extinguised or completely burns off but has a decently slow burn rate. That is an interesting thought... just hope the janitor doesn't put it in the buffer.
How about shaking up a can of soda to the point of causing a small explosion when thrown?
(06-13-2017, 07:40 AM)Salami Sam Wrote: How about shaking up a can of soda to the point of causing a small explosion when thrown?

We don't have any way of carbonating or resealing them though to put naughty reagents in. Unless you want to let the ChemMaster refill and reseal Space Cola cans.

(06-13-2017, 07:20 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote:
(06-13-2017, 07:02 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: I always forget how to make napalm until I drink welding fuel.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! A chem that burns on a tile until it's extinguised or completely burns off but has a decently slow burn rate. That is an interesting thought... just hope the janitor doesn't put it in the buffer.

Quick lookup on wikipedia says that you can synthesize triethylaluminum, the main ingredient in modern incendiary bombs, pretty easily:

2 Al + 3 H2 + 6 C2H4 → Al2Et6

It ignites on contact with air, water, or any oxidizer. So Aluminum + Hydrogen + Oil (standing in for ethylene) = Triethylaluminum. Stabilizing agent can stand in for thickener and prevent instant fire? When thrown in a molotov cocktail, it vaporizes and ignites, leaving a fire behind until it burns off.

How many watchlists am I on now for looking this up?
Why just ethanol? Make it any kinda alcohol. It all decays into ethanol anyways. Could also lead to some fun hobo chemistry grif options.