Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Allowing the round to continue after Blob and Nukeop defeat
I think one of the problems with Nuclear Operative and Blob is that once they're dead, that's it. The round ends. This tends to be a problem for those who were working on something only to be blindsided when it turns out to be a blob or nuke op round, regardless of who wins.

I think we should remove the round end for Blob and Nuclear Operative if either result in a crew victory. Instead, the victory would trigger a number of random event antagonist prompts and the round would continue with a new set of antagonists (up to 4 depending on how high the player count is)

How does this sound?
It used to be like that with Nuke Ops when it got reworked. It was awful, most of the time large parts of the station were destroyed and never got fixed, good amount of players were dead and nothing happened for a whole hour and sometimes the shuttle would never get called either making it so the round went on forever and admins would have end the round themselves. Late joining antags were already a thing at this point and still barely anything happened after nukesops died cause a good chunk of the crew was dead and the late-joining antag had nothing to do. After awhile the community made it clear that the system of a ongoing nuke round was making more people hate the new rework then love it and it was changed.

Gonna vote no on this for Nukeops but for Blob sure since I think blob mode sucks for the reason they are super easy to kill and the mode for the most part only last for five minutes cause the blob dies really fast or the crew just calls the shuttle at the sight of a winning blob.
Yeah, I think a short round of Nuke is refreshing and makes sense to end right away. Gives it a much stronger sense of all or nothing, all hands on deck feel.
(06-12-2017, 07:58 PM)Calebc789 Wrote: This tends to be a problem for those who were working on something only to be blindsided when it turns out to be a blob or nuke op round, regardless of who wins.

This is the crux of the problem, though probably not for the reasons stated. The issue is that the people who are all for the round continuing don't actually want the round continued per se - what they want is more time to work on their own little projects, time that they now know will be nice and quiet and antag-free.

As such, they don't contribute anything to actually keeping the round going. They don't fix up the gaping holes in the station, they don't heal up the injured, they don't organize a victory party in the bar to entertain the survivors or something along that line. They just shrug and keep on unlocking genes or telesciencing or what have you.

The types of people who would have done such things, who actually engage with what's going on around them, tend to be the first to die in the initial confrontation.
Mnnnh, no. :mensch:
What other people said, the station gets too trashed in either. Nuke don't often lose, and when they do, there's about 3 people alive and holes everywhere. Blob only rounds are the same.
As someone that always tends to rush in to help defend the station-there's an opportunity cost to that, too.

I can see how it would totally be frustrating if you're off on some project, you were never caught by blob/nuke, and suddenly the round ends at 35 because it went a bit long and you got most of the way to whatever goal you were going for.

But think of it for someone who did the combat and managed to survive-now they have to segue into a project. Generally speaking, given how the game works, this is a waste of time-you can't get a good X done in, say, 25 minutes, before a 60ish shuttle call.

Also there's probably more than half the station dead with nuke in particular, straight up gibbed in many cases, and they'd probably like to play.
I would support the round continuing if the shuttle were autocalled instead of the round just ending.

This gives people the option to extend the round and patch things up if they want but they can just ride the shuttle home after a job well done. Plus, if it's a nuke round and the syndicates didn't all die, it gives them a chance to do some more damage.
Absolutely not to either one of these.

We tried making the round continue after the nuke ops died before, and it was fucking horrible. I can't think of a single round that *didn't* result in an endless stream of boredom and complaints from deadchat.

Blob is much the same. If you actually manage to beat the blob after it's grown to a sufficient size, the station is usually trashed beyond salvation.