Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security set-up proposal *with pictures!!*
Sometimes I feel like I'm not very good at being security, then another Hos said that being Hos isn't all about catching the traitors, or even jailing bad assistants.

He said there should be one goal to security: Having fun. Now as you know that comes to limits, I can't just tase everyone I meet and so on, but one thing stands, things change, and as Marquesas has said, he adapts to it, moves on, and plays security regardless of what he thinks of the new layout.

That's what we all should do, nothing in life will always be the same or be easier as life goes on, it may or may not get harder and you may have to "adapt" to such things. It seems stupid to talk like this in such a dumb matter of a virtual game of a space station, but Cogs has worked hard and put time on this new map. There is a reason on why the difficulty on the security job on the wiki says "Soul Crushing", because it IS.

I don't like the new layout, but I want to get used to it, if we all play a bit more in this layout, we'll all get used to it.
But the brig layout is being changed, this is something that has been stressed by wonkmin and cogs.
So do we sit on our hands while this is happening or do we offer our experience on what needs to be changed?

I don't agree that security should be fun just for security sake, it should be fun for the prisoners sake too.
The current general population is not fun for either parties. Why get used to something that isn't fun? Why adapt when the situation can and sooner or later will be resolved?
Feedback is useful, telling people to just adapt and get over it isn't useful.

Ideas that I have already incorporated:
Moved the bush away from the security entrance, gave security a lobby room. I still see people leave both doors wide open, so I'm just gonna stop worrying about people rushing in through the open doors now. If two doors don't solve the problem, the rest of it is up to the guards.
Also got rid of the solitary permacell and made it into a timer autoflush cell.

Ideas that I do like:
Making it easier to keep track of who is in general population, how long they should be in there, and an easier way to remove them.

Things I do not like:
Mounted flashers, getting rid of the intentionally spooky airless area behind security, having a wide open corridor back there, and I don't think the parole room is really all that necessary. I'll play around with the layout a bit though.
Zorafm Wrote:He said there should be one goal to security: Having fun. Now as you know that comes to limits, I can't just tase everyone I meet and so on, but one thing stands, things change, and as Marquesas has said, he adapts to it, moves on, and plays security regardless of what he thinks of the new layout.

in this humble dorks opinion:
security is fun when you're investigating/battling bad guys

security is no fun when you're dealing with griefers/bored people who quickly escalate to shitty grudges

spending the bulk of your round dealing with the latter so that you are incapable of dealing with the former isn't fun frown
I'm sad that the genpop idea didn't take hold. It just requires the willingness to do a bit of roleplay and not treat any arrest as a matter of protocol.

Trying to get some brig stories out of genpop can be a better way to spend a round than patrolling the station.

mozi Wrote:aling with griefers/bored people who quickly escalate to shitty grudges

spending the bulk of your round dealing with the latter so that you are incapable of dealing with the former isn't fun frown

Most rounds traitors are clumsy, extremely careful or dead early on. So... you don't really have a choice of what to do, there's only the jerks to deal with. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to outjerk them to have some fun.
Hopefully if traitors per round are increased, there is going to be more of a chance to get a tough nut to crack.

It helps not arresting a traitor on-sight, or taking away their tools before they have had a chance to use them.
I've seen hos people take powersinks and other dangerous stuff from traitors, and releasing them declawed. I don't like the idea of security preventing emergencies. Emergencies are fun to deal with.

Lots of the people who are complaining about the brig are those I see always acting hard and tough.
Maybe you think that you're being fair, but it's not an enjoyable way to play security.
mozi Wrote:
Zorafm Wrote:He said there should be one goal to security: Having fun. Now as you know that comes to limits, I can't just tase everyone I meet and so on, but one thing stands, things change, and as Marquesas has said, he adapts to it, moves on, and plays security regardless of what he thinks of the new layout.

in this humble dorks opinion:
security is fun when you're investigating/battling bad guys

security is no fun when you're dealing with griefers/bored people who quickly escalate to shitty grudges

I'll have to take Clarks's side here. Most of the people complaining crack down on criminals so hard there is nothing happening 15 minutes in. If nothing is happening, people get bored, and if people get bored, well.

Security is fun when you're battling bad guys. How about dragging the longevity of not-as-resourceful-as-Luis-Smith bad guys out by not immediately disposing of them?
Addendum: letting bad guys do their thing also seriously trims the thickness of the gray tide (which usually get fixated on TAKING THAT ESWORD OFF THAT TRAITOR once they see it), and leaves you less to deal with.
I've put a floor flusher and timer into genpop as a temporary measure. In the meantime, I'm going to work on setting up a way to tag a prisoner with a sentence time, and when it runs out, security PDAs will get an alert and the prisoner will be able to flush themselves out.

That security scanner thing has also had the area limiter removed.
Cogwerks Wrote:I've put a floor flusher and timer into genpop as a temporary measure. In the meantime, I'm going to work on setting up a way to tag a prisoner with a sentence time, and when it runs out, security PDAs will get an alert and the prisoner will be able to flush themselves out.

That security scanner thing has also had the area limiter removed.

This is great, although I have no idea where you put the floor flusher, as I'm currently paralyzed in bed downstairs and my PC is upstairs roll eyes (sarcastic)
I like the idea syncing up the pda with the prison system pda.
I'm glad this thread is being used for discussion and implementing, but it could do with more feedback and less noise about adapting and emotional posts.

I have a suggestion for you when it comes to tagging a sentence time. Put a timer variable on the Securitron 3000 (the scanner thingy) and a timer variable for Secmate. It makes sense really, because Securitron automatically updates Secmate, by putting the timer on a securitron 3000 it makes it easier, but also if you happen to lose one of them, you're still able to change the time with the computer.

Another suggestion, regarding the parole. If you don't want a room for it, how about this:
[Image: p0PPzNn.png]
I call it the Confiscatron. Just put it beside the sec entrance where the prisoner gets flushed out.
How it works:
Security swipes it, it unlocks it.
It has slots for items. You select a slot, name it accordingly to prisoner and put items in.
Pubbie Mcshit gets launched out of the floor flusher.
His items are in the Confiscatron. Clicking the Confiscatron will open up a pop-up similar to a vending machine. It has this:
Pubbie Mcshit - 2 items - *Swipe ID*
Clicking the swipe ID button ejects his stuff.
Neat idea?
How about crates, instead? Prisoners often have a large variety of gear, loading it all in sounds kinda tedious. Stick a couple crates in Sec, and give them a special cargo teleporter that tags a crate with a name and teleports it into secure storage. Prisoner swipes their ID, the confiscatron teleports their crate to them.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:How about crates, instead? Prisoners often have a large variety of gear, loading it all in sounds kinda tedious. Stick a couple crates in Sec, and give them a special cargo teleporter that tags a crate with a name and teleports it into secure storage. Prisoner swipes their ID, the confiscatron teleports their crate to them.

But it's meant to work like a very simple vending machine, that sounds more like a complicated teleportation device.

It wouldn't be that tedious at all to load their items. You should only be emptying their pockets, confiscating their bag, and if they have anything on their belt, that too. The stuff in their pockets can go into their bag, as well as the stuff on their belt, if it's a toolbelt, then that'll have to go in separately. That's max 3 items.

Don't over-complicate it. It would be fairly simple to code if left as is, as it's pretty much a vending machine that can be filled.
That isn't simple at all, having something just fetch a crate is much easier.
Well ok, but I thought it would be cool if you had something that was secure, accessible and didn't rely on security to rummage for your goods, which would mean further waiting, when you could simply go up, swipe your id and your goods are dispensed.

What about the securitron 3000 timer setting idea?
Re: The confiscatron
I actually misread what you said cogs, so you say it is doable, but with crates?
Well there's one or two ways I can think of;
First way is as Captain Bravo suggested, but that would require to code a special cargo transporter.
Second way would be using a hand labeler, and just drag and drop the crate, but that would require hand labelers to have more character size as you would be entering in a full name, but by doing this you could be hitting two bird with one stone as suggested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1194 . The crate is dispensed if the ID matches it. Simpler?
Both are doable, it's just quite a bit more work to adapt a vending machine to work that way. Frankly I'm not sure if it's even really worth automating the return of gear. I might just move the confiscated items lockers to the front security office so people can bitch until they get their gear back. If the guards don't give their gear back.... oh well?

And yeah, I'm already trying to work with the prisoner scanner device to have a timer function. Probably via implants. When the prisoner implant runs out, security will get an alert about it and the prisoner will be able to dispense themselves from security. Of course that hits the issue of guards not bothering with implants, and then I just want to have some more bourbon and get more grouchy.